Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    I'm going to use this space to document various happenings / doings to my newly acquired 940 diesel. Its a 2.4L straight six turbo diesel intercooler (D24tic)

It started out with me browsing ebay looking at a few motors, when I came across this. I messaged the buy with a cash offer and he accepted. So I filled my mates fuel tank the next morning and set off to Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Few piccies from the ebay add:

Lovely condition seats

Original fire extinguisher!

Arrived in Leeds, looked over the car and accepted the deal, and began the journey home! After stopping off for a much needed Maccies of course! I was driving home mainly by myself as my mate took the wrong turning and nearly ended up in Manchester! Whilst I was on the A1 heading for home. Eventually he caught me up and I had a hoot of a game pulling in front of him and then flooring it so it covered his car in soot. As they say, if you cant smoke em' choke em'! Anyway this game ended with a phone call that described sparks coming from the rear of the car. Needless to say the rest of the journey was spent @ 50mph.

After investigating the next day there was jingle on the rear right wheel. Turns out it snapped the brake pad pin that holds the clip in so the clip was jingling. £3 kit from the local motor factors fixed this.

A few days passed and the car was running lovely, so I decided to clean the engine bay a bit:

And found this!! Trip to the welders needed lol

Anyhoo I didn't really clean the engine as they are generally greasy anyway so I just did around the engine bay and the bulkhead.

Let it dry and set off for my Dads, got down the road and my brakes failed - forcing me to rip up the handbrake to avoid the rear of a learner! Not to self: Handbrake is §§§§§ hot!

After a few days of puzzling and a second hand servo I threw in the towel and rang Steve, who appointed me to the fact the T piece along the servo hose should have a small vac hose in it. DOH! Found it down the back of the engine......

My basic plans for this car are to give it a major clean up, it was a "mobile mechanics" car so it is in dire need of a valet. Lacquer peel has also attacked the front, and seeing as my bro now has his own spraying premises a full respray could be on the cards at a later date. If the parts crop up - manual conversion too!
    Just seen this same post on VOC.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dremels are good little tools, but don't get me wrong... no replacement for a disc cutter.... haha

This user has no status

Thanks
    lol!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Few more vids for ya

Smoke on acceleration:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    And this was meant to be a smoke on foot braking but ended up slipping the rear a bit lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Relocated the cig lighter with a nice flashy 3 soc one and usb for phone charging!

I've given the gauge holder to my brother to finish, was getting on my nerves lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yesterday saw me invest the first "substantial" amount of money in "Sooty"

The days work included:

- Stripping all 4 brakes and cleaning them up, fitting new discs and pads. It was evident that they hadn't been cleaned in a long time. However, at 187k, only one sticky calliper was found, on the rear and it freed up with some pedal pumping.

- Replacing all 6 (yes, 5 and 6 as well!!!) glow plugs.

- Running some engine flush through, and then an oil + filter change.

- Servicing the auto gearbox with a new filter and fresh fluid.

- Draining the diff and fresh oil once again.

- Coolant flush and refill.

The work begins:

New rear discs + pads

New front discs + pads

Servicing the auto box

The rear diff

Found all 6 glow plugs to be black like this, confirming they were ALL not working one bit! No wonder it sounded rough as §§§§§§§§s on a cold start!

And for those still pondering, this is how you change 5 + 6!!!

It was also the first time id been under Sooty, and I confirm that the MOT it received was in fact more bent that a roundabout! I always had my suspicions because of the battery tray area rust and unsecured tray itself.

Whilst having a nosey I found:

Minor oil leak on the auto box cooler
    Almost everything rubber at the front perished (sway bar mounts, bushes etc)
    No cat, unsure as to whether it should have one or not
    Hole in back box (confirmed by soot EVERYWHERE!!!)
    Generally rusty (surface only)

So on the increasing list a manual conversion is confirmed (why fix the leak when its a good excuse!)

And probably some better mounts / bushes etc. The engine also has a massive amount of rocking in it, if you wobble it its like jelly. So probably solid mounts too, been told that's good for power

Waxoyl the underneath will also be on the list.

I think its safe to say its been neglected, but its had the "essentials" covered.

Ciao for now

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Boost gauge....

Yes, I know its on the passenger side! I can still see it though as I have my seat all the way back.

When I get an EGT gauge I will order a holder that's angled... if I can find one lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well I've started the cleaning process... I have a bit of an obsession when I clean, and today was no exception!

I got some good second hand carpet for the front, mine are all worn and "holey," so I gave it a shampoo!!

Then I dropped the rear seats, and shampoo'd the whole rear, a job ive been meaning to do:

Whilst doing this I noticed how dirty the head lining was... so I reversed the head of the pipe and shampoo'd that too!!!

Just to give you some idea.... this is a bit I missed; forgot to unclip the sunblind

Massive difference! Its come up so clean!

And this was the water.....

And no matter how much I try, I can never lose my car in a car park.....

Manual conversion is also sat in my garage....

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Good work, that water is dirty ! M-R-P gave my mats the once over last time I was at his, I can't believe how much dirt those cleaners get out.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Oh yeah the stuff they get out makes you think twice about eating a chip you dropped on your seat lmao!

LED backlighting on the dials....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Had a little trouble installing this, got confused with the wires! When it said ignition feed I didn't realise it meant from the ignition switch, aka a thick red cable. I was using the cig lighter 12v... Kept blowing fuses. So beefed up the wires and done it right!

Kudos to Mike (Alder) for pointing me in the right direction! Seriousely owe this guy so much - hes now dubbed "the electrical guru" or TEG for short

Did make me laugh when I asked if I needed to beef up the grounding wire and his response was:

"Nah don't worry about the ground as the solenoid is grounded through the engine block back to the battery, I doubt you could find a wire thicker than the chassis rails to be honest...... "

LMFAO

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Got this done over the weekend

Sounds awesome!!

Also this happened

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Nice work, exhaust sounds good

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hehe sounds epic lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well today saw me tackle a problem I was looking forward too..... Changing over the front carpets and shampooing all the car + seats!

Didn't realise how dirty the seats were... can you tell where ive been? lmao

A nice shot through the car

All in all it took me around 4.5 hours. That included:

Shampooing front + rear seats
    Shampooing rear carpet
    Cleaning + lubing front seat rails
    Removing old front carpet and finding a massive puddle of water on the drivers side!
    Drying said puddle and fitting new carpet on the front
    Chucking the seats back in
    Put new mats in

The puddle was a heater valve failure in its past (im presuming)... would explain why its just connected with a copper pipe....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Right...

Not really been updating much due to the fact I've been busy with work. Came out of training and have been smashing all the overtime available and also been performing very well with my colleagues I started with. We where hired to rough some feathers and it seems to be happening...

So yeah basically some updates coming more often, a lot more money coming from work that I thought id ever get in this type of job, just got to finish paying off some things from when I was unemployed for a few months and then there will be some serious money invested in Sooty.

I've been getting depressed lately as there is so much work that needs doing but the car never fails to make me smile though, and always reminds me what its about. I love the tractor type chug it has on tickover, and that it goes silky smooth (6 cyl style!) under load. It truly is a fantastic engine.

Turns quite a few more heads than the petrol one ever did. Whether that's due to soot could or the scream it has at 5k I don't know, they are a very loud engine! And the turbo whistle with a cone filter is pretty awesome too!

So yeah, feeling motivated

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Guess the new part...

The idea was to do the cambelt as well, but I was supplied with the wrong one meaning it all had to be put back together!!... with the old one... so Sooty is whining at having the old one put back on! Hoping to get a new one and have it done this weekend....

Also sooty has a friend

So a few 960 type upgrades coming soon!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dunno about you lot but I get pee'd off not having a cupholder...

Original set up:

960 cupholder setup

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Had some fun today....

Which resulted in a 960 tailgate + rear lights on Sooty!

also swapped over the boot carpets from the 960 as well as they were unmarked, unstained and generally better

More soon

Thread Information