Join Today
    I might act crazy but i don't
    smoke crack

Thanks

Running Problems (Non Volvo)

I'm now a traitor and have defected to the germans and im having some issues with it as follows;

1. Car lacks power in general (Not helped by only having a 1.9 8v engine)
    2. At first start up it idles perfectly but when you start driving it pops and bangs hesitates then after a minite its ok
    3. At WOT it loses nearly all power until you back of slightly then pulls ok

Found all the air leaks and have repaired them, only 1 code comes up which is P0170 (Fuel trim malfunction - Too lean)

Long Term Fuel Trim is about +22%
    Short Term Fuel Trim is the same

O2 sensor 1 voltage at idle fluctuates between 0.4 - 0.6 which i think is fine
    O2 sensor 1 voltage while driving is 0 - 0.1 (This is not just under heavy load it also reads this while maintaining a constant speed on flat road)
    When coasting the sensor sometimes flashes 0.8 - 0.9 for a split second them goes straight back to 0.1

O2 sensor 2 seems to read fine at all times and generally stays between 0.4 - 0.6 under most driving conditions

No black smoke from the exhaust the exhaust gases don't smell overly petrol-ly (I'm sure that's not a real word)
    So i'm assuming its not over fuelling

Recently changed the cam sensor as that was throwing a code also changed the fuel filter, Both within the last couple of weeks

I've tried checking the fuel pressure by pushing the schrader valve on the fuel rail but I couldn't get anything to some out even with the engine running which seemed strange
    Although I would of thought low fuel pressure would of thrown a code?
    Or if there was no pressure it just wouldn't run at all.

These a whole list of things it could be according to google, I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit.

Any advice appreciated
    If it helps the car is a 2001 BMW 318 with a M43TUB19 engine

Cheers
    Dave
    Currently driving a BMW 318 because it was cheap

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Have you tried unplugging the maf?From what you saying O2 sensor 1 if messing around big time,when it goes 0.9 is the tolerance of rich fuel and then drops down to 0.1 is very lean.I had a 318 maf messing around no engine light on.Try disconnecting the maf,it`ll be juicy but should run fine if so get a new maf.Nice looking car mate.Ah,also mine was lacking power too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsford G For This Useful Post:

Dave86 (Saturday 30th March 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Could be a dieing fuel pump, you won't get a low fuel pressure code from a petrol.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

smoke crack

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsford G View Post
    Have you tried unplugging the maf?From what you saying O2 sensor 1 if messing around big time,when it goes 0.9 is the tolerance of rich fuel and then drops down to 0.1 is very lean.I had a 318 maf messing around no engine light on.Try disconnecting the maf,it`ll be juicy but should run fine if so get a new maf.Nice looking car mate.Ah,also mine was lacking power too.
    Cheers ill give that a go tomorrow mate

Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    Could be a dieing fuel pump, you won't get a low fuel pressure code from a petrol.
    I thought about the pump too. Is there a way to check it?

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    You need a gauge to check the fuel pressure mate.Try the easiest maf if no joy I recon low fuel pressure form pump,maf could make it run lean too.

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    i think you should scrap it and get a 330 lol sorry mate i havent a clue on this the most modern car i ever owned is my current ovlov lol i dont do modern motors

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

8. The Following User Says Thank You to theflyingbrick For This Useful Post:

Dave86 (Saturday 30th March 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    i think you should scrap it and get a 330 lol sorry mate i havent a clue on this the most modern car i ever owned is my current ovlov lol i dont do modern motors
    330? I don`t think so,compared a mint 330 2003year against my ex S70R and it wasn`t even near my cars performance.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsford G For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Saturday 30th March 2013)

smoke crack

Thanks
    Cheers kingsford unplugged the maf ran much better then went a fitted a new one and as it turns out the 318 is quite quick although I will be getting a 330 soon :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave86 For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Saturday 30th March 2013)

Thread Information