Join Today
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Thumbs up "How To" remove the D.I.M (Instrument Cluster). V70 Phase 2

I thought I'd do another "How To" thread, this time how to remove the D.I.M (Instrument Cluster) from a Phase 2 V70. This is a nice simple job that just about anyone can do.

Tools

• Flat Headed Screw Driver

• Torx 25 Driver

METHOD

• Firstly, disconnect the negative battery terminal. Go back to the drivers seat and tilt the steering wheel down so it's in its lowest position, this gives you more room during to do the job.

• Next, take a flat headed screw driver, place it between the plastic instrument cluster trim and the dashboad dome and gently prise off the plastic trim, starting at the top and then doing the same at the bottom (see photos).

• Now take the screwdriver and gently prise the two piece of steering column trim apart from both sides so that the top piece is free (see photos).

• Lift the instrument cluster surround and steering column trim piece out together (they are joined together by a piece of vinyl/faux leather so they'll come out together)

• Next, look at the instrument cluster and using your Torx 25 driver, remove the 4 Torx 25 screws at each corner that are holding the unit in as seen in the photos below.

• Once all 4 Torx 25 screws are out, you need to put your hand on the top of the instrument cluster and tilt it forward as seen in the photo below.

• Now look at the back of the instrument cluster and you will see a big green electrical connector, disconnect this and then the instrument cluster can simply be lifted out.

That's it, the DIM is out and now you can send it for repair or replace it with that new overpriced one from the dealers, it's entirely up to you. In my case, I've just taken mine out to show you how it all comes out, a nice easy job for anyone!

Any questions, please ask.

Regards

James

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Monday 25th March 2013),stephenevans99 (Monday 25th March 2013)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I think the next easy job you should show us is................................................ .....how to fit a LSD.
    That would be a nice long read.

Nice to see you are getting more confident to work on your car.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Sunday 24th March 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I think the next easy job you should show us is................................................ .....how to fit a LSD.
    That would be a nice long read.

Nice to see you are getting more confident to work on your car.
    Errrrrr, let me think......... if you're referring to a Limited-Slip Differential then no, Gearbox issues are going to a specalist. But thanks for the vote of confidence all the same.

Alot of this is just down to pure necessity and cost cutting but there are some jobs that no matter how limited I am on funds, I will never tackle myself. I won't do brakes on a daily runner nor suspension/steering related stuff other than perhaps changing the droplinks or something of that nature.

I seem to be ok with 'modules' or stuff like that, but anything that keeps the car from hitting the tarmac is definatley a no for me.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Love these 'How To' threads with decent pics....makes it so easy to follow & understand the procedure.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 25th March 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    Love these 'How To' threads with decent pics....makes it so easy to follow & understand the procedure.

Thanks, I actually enjoy doing them although for the more experienced on the forum they probably are less useful than they are for people like myself who struggle with the more basic tasks. My "How To" guides are aimed more at the beginner level hence some of the 'how to suck eggs' instructions in there.

But that said, I'm glad you like them and I'm sure someone will find them useful which is why i did them. I've also got a record that I can refer to if I forget anything in the future.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Thanks, I actually enjoy doing them although for the more experienced on the forum they probably are less useful than they are for people like myself who struggle with the more basic tasks. My "How To" guides are aimed more at the beginner level hence some of the 'how to suck eggs' instructions in there.
    i find them very usefull, i tend to be more 850 based so everything i do for the S60 is looked up then forgotten about. Especially as i keep threatening to get the bulbs replaced on the DIM

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i find them very usefull, i tend to be more 850 based so everything i do for the S60 is looked up then forgotten about. Especially as i keep threatening to get the bulbs replaced on the DIM
    Once the DIM is out, the bulbs are easy as they are just those twist in ones like minture versions of a brake lamp.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Once the DIM is out, the bulbs are easy as they are just those twist in ones like minture versions of a brake lamp.
    They're T5 wedge bulbs (oh the irony) and you need to use tape to remove them from the twisty-holder-thingy.

Personally, I wouldn't bother Pedro... You risk upsetting your repaired dim
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    They're T5 wedge bulbs (oh the irony) and you need to use tape to remove them from the twisty-holder-thingy.

Sorry but I have to disagree, I was able to pull bulbs are reinstall them at random, provided you put a grey bulb in a slot labelled grey, and a blue bulb in a slot labelled blue.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts

got a feeling we just replaced the whole bulb including the plastic holder when we did my old mans (might be why they were so dear). I've got to get my engineer to sort his previous mistake & get the righthand side of the cluster working so i change them then

Thanks
    You were able to pull the bulb from its black, blue or grey holder by hand James?
    Getting them out of the dim is easy but getting the glass bit out of the plastic bit (the only way to change them to led) requires wrapping the bulb with tape.

I have a how-to on my led conversation thread iirc.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    You were able to pull the bulb from its black, blue or grey holder by hand James?
    Getting them out of the dim is easy but getting the glass bit out of the plastic bit (the only way to change them to led) requires wrapping the bulb with tape.

I have a how-to on my led conversation thread iirc.
    Changing the bulbs over like for like is easy, they're designed to be changed from the back of the unit and are swapped over like a brake light bulb.

Thanks
    Changing the bulbs over like for like is easy, they're designed to be changed from the back of the unit and are swapped over like a brake light bulb.
    I think you're missing my point mate - like for like is easy, as you say, it just twists in but to upgrade the bulb, you need to remove it from the dim and pull the glass bit from the plastic bit.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information