Join Today
    Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks

Cool How to fit new Powerflex Cross shaped Bushes for Top Engine Mounting- pictures

Hello everybody, I thought I would add a how to thread for these, to show how easy it is to remove the old bush and insert the new one.

The bush in the photos is the petrol type, PFV907987 (PFF88-622)

Thanks to Wobbly Dave for asking if I could install a bush for him, and providing an old mounting which had seen better days. We look forward to his reports about the performance of it compared to a standard bush.

The original mounting:
    Name:  oldmount.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  13.8 KB

After I cut away the outer rubber flaps from the bush, you can see just how much free space there is inside the housing.
    Name:  old-design-inside.jpg
Size:  27.5 KB

To remove the old bush, flip it over and insert a flathead screwdriver between the end plate and the rubber.
    Then hit it with a hammer and the end plate will fly off pretty easily.
    Name:  removeplate.jpg
Size:  16.2 KB

Cut away the outer rubber around the metal centre, and push the old bush out by hand.
    Name:  bushremoved.jpg
Size:  18.0 KB

Grease the contact surfaces of the new bush using the copaslip sachet provided.
    Name:  newbushgreased.jpg
Size:  18.5 KB

Here you can see half of the new bush fitted, it takes up all of the void space inside the hosuing - a definate inprovement!
    Name:  newbushhalf.jpg
Size:  20.3 KB

Then just push the other half in, and insert the metal centre tube. - again all of this can be done by hand.
    The finished product:
    Name:  newbushcomplete.jpg
Size:  14.6 KB

The metal centre tube is suffuceint to hold the 2 halves of the new bush in, and the metal brackets on the car hold it in place as well after the retaining bolt is tightened.

I hope you find this useful

Jamie

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to partsforvolvos.com For This Useful Post:

billnbenT5 (Sunday 15th March 2015),JamesT5 (Thursday 13th June 2013),LeeT5 (Friday 31st January 2014),Tomcat (Tuesday 30th April 2013),Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 19th March 2013)

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Looks like I'll be ordering some of these from you but it will have to wait until April or May. Thanks for the guide!

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Looks good,nice to see its not solid a bit of flex with the cut outs, think I've have to get one.
    Thanks for the close up photos.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If the bush takes up all the void how does it allow any movement? ^^ Oopps

Tony.
    Last edited by jotter22; Tuesday 19th March 2013 at 13:04.

cut n blow dry,perms,and tinting prices on request!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Thanks for your help. Hopefully be able to get this in before the racing starts this weekend.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Looks good,nice to see its not solid a bit of flex with the cut outs, think I've have to get one.
    Thanks for the close up photos.
    Looks like powerflex learned their lesson after the P2 round ones. I'm still thinking about drilling mine lol.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    if you overtighten the bolt through the centre on the round ones, powerflex advise excessive noise can be generated as the bush is compressed too much .

Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks
    I have the round one fitted and can confirm an increase in noise and vibration. 6 x 10mm holes have improved things. Having read this, I will be taking a few turns off the bolt aswell. Awaiting arrival of bushes for the rest of the top bar to see if that improves things.

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:
    2001 BMW E39 M5, LeMans Blue, grey/black two tone leather ** 2014 XC60 D4 Bright Silver, Black leather, walnut ** 1999 C70 T5 ** 2003 V70R Flash Green/Nordkap - now my dad's "big green Astra Van" ** 1990 Lotus Elan M100 Se Turbo, Calypso Red ** 2001 S60 2.0T Silver ** 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** 1982 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 ** Vauxhall Nova - 993cc monster

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    martin assures me that it significantly improves the noise level.
    bear in mind though, some increase is inevitable by the nature of the polyurethane material.

jamie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to partsforvolvos.com For This Useful Post:

Squirtydog (Thursday 2nd May 2013)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtydog View Post
    I have the round one fitted and can confirm an increase in noise and vibration. 6 x 10mm holes have improved things. Having read this, I will be taking a few turns off the bolt aswell. Awaiting arrival of bushes for the rest of the top bar to see if that improves things.
    Quote Originally Posted by partsforvolvos.com View Post
    martin assures me that it significantly improves the noise level.
    bear in mind though, some increase is inevitable by the nature of the polyurethane material.

jamie
    The cause of a lot of the vibration is the cross brace hitting resonance between 650 and 750 rpm. This is amplified by the the extra load on the engine if the A/C is on (give it a try - it's horrible lol)
    This resonance causes the brace to shake violently, amplifying the engine vibration. Fitting the strut brace tensioners tightens the brace, preventing it from shaking and removing the resonance.

You WILL still get more engine noise than with standard volvo top bushes but mainly under hard acceleration... which is nice
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    The cause of a lot of the vibration is the cross brace hitting resonance between 650 and 750 rpm. This is amplified by the the extra load on the engine if the A/C is on (give it a try - it's horrible lol)
    This resonance causes the brace to shake violently, amplifying the engine vibration. Fitting the strut brace tensioners tightens the brace, preventing it from shaking and removing the resonance.

You WILL still get more engine noise than with standard volvo top bushes but mainly under hard acceleration... which is nice
    Still waiting for Don to send me the kit. May give him a little tinkle and remind him. Meanwhile I'll slacken my nut a bit.
    You do get more under acceleration. Sounds more like induction noise in mine so not too bothered at the mo.

OFF TOPIC: Shiny new R grille badge fitted, thanks Jamie. How come local Volvo dealer thought the part was unavailable?
    Last edited by Squirtydog; Thursday 2nd May 2013 at 06:14.

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:
    2001 BMW E39 M5, LeMans Blue, grey/black two tone leather ** 2014 XC60 D4 Bright Silver, Black leather, walnut ** 1999 C70 T5 ** 2003 V70R Flash Green/Nordkap - now my dad's "big green Astra Van" ** 1990 Lotus Elan M100 Se Turbo, Calypso Red ** 2001 S60 2.0T Silver ** 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** 1982 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 ** Vauxhall Nova - 993cc monster

Thread Information