Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Throttle module recall

Somebody brought it to my attention that early P2 models may fall under a recall for failing/faulty ETM's...

...is this true?

Is it worth me phoning up my local dealer about mine?

Thanks
    Sorry, nothing Swedish here...

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I think if you are in the USA you would be in luck,i think they gave a 10 year life.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds_finest View Post
    Somebody brought it to my attention that early P2 models may fall under a recall for failing/faulty ETM's...

...is this true?

Is it worth me phoning up my local dealer about mine?

Thanks
    keep us informed with any developments please.

cut n blow dry,perms,and tinting prices on request!

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Home | Back
    19 Search Results - Page 1 of 2
    Criteria : (VOLVO CAR S60) for the date range 01/Jan/1992 to 01/Jan/2013
    Information : Click on the recalls number to expand the detail and hover over the concern for a quick insight into the defect
    Please note that certain recalls have the same reference number, but relate to different models/variants of the same manufacturer/vehicle.
    # Launch Date Recalls Number Make Model(s) Concern VIN Start VIN End Build Start Build End
    1 08/10/2003 R/2003/159 VOLVO CAR S80 ,V70, V70XC, S60 & XC90 possible fuel leak 358224 362914
    2 07/01/2004 R/2004/007 VOLVO CAR S60, S80, V70, XC70 & XC90 possible fuel leak from injector pipes. 381861 384545
    3 26/01/2004 R/2004/012 VOLVO CAR S60, S80 and V70 possible suspension collapse
    4 23/12/2004 R/2004/216 VOLVO CAR S60,S80,V70 AND XC70 electric cooling fan may overheat 00000000000000006 00000000000108168
    5 13/03/2007 R/2007/058 VOLVO CAR S60, V70,XC70 AND XC90 fire may occur 00000000000622372 00000000000624377
    6 16/07/2010 R/2010/099 VOLVO CAR S60,XC60,V70,XC70,S80 engine may seize 000195 000435
    7 21/09/2010 R/2010/145 VOLVO CAR S60 bonnet may open unintentionally 000001 003532
    8 18/10/2010 R/2010/165 VOLVO CAR S60, XC60, V70, XC70, S80 airbag may not deploy as intended.
    9 26/11/2010 R/2010/215 VOLVO CAR S80,V70,XC70, XC60, S60 AND V60 engine may cut out 000194 012895
    10 03/12/2010 R/2010/224 VOLVO CAR C30,S40,V50,S60,V60, XC60,V70,XC70 & S80 fire may occur 014829 020761
    [ 1 2 ]

The Volvo Owners Club
    For All Volvo Enthusiasts
    FOR ALL MODELS OF VOLVO CAR • FOR ALL AGES OF VOLVO CAR
    ELECTRONIC THROTTLE MODULE ISSUES

JOIN VOC
    Homepage
    Web Site Search
    OTHER PAGES

Caravan and Camping

Towing Tips
    Tow Bar ElectricsClub Information

About Us
    Activities
    Car Information
    Car Insurance

Volvo Owners Insurance
    Footman JamesContact Us
    Magazine
    Members Pages
    Merchandise
    News
    Parts and Services
    Rallies
    Regional SectionsForums

Forum Introduction
    Go To ForumSales and Wants
    Gallery
    High Mileage Club

FAQ
    Official Volvo Register
    Unofficial ListingsHistory of Volvo
    Links Directory
    Miniature Models
    Safer Driving Tips
    Technical
    Technical Newsletter
    Volvo Press Information
    Volvo Wallpaper
    Site Map
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volvo Electronic Throttle Module (ETM) Issues
    For some time there have been issues surrounding the electronic throttle module fitted to a number of Volvo cars. This has been highlighted in a number of television programs, including the UK's BBC Watchdog. Volvo Car UK released public statements regarding this and these are documented below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday 10 February 2006

Volvo Response to Watchdog Questions

Background
    Different countries around the world have different emission regulations. In the USA and Sweden these regulations are particularly tough. To ensure continued compliance with local legislation, Volvo Cars North America voluntarily decided (in December 2005) to extend the warranty period for the Electronic Throttle System (ETS) to 10 years, or 200,000 miles, on a number of Volvo models with petrol engines. Additionally, under Swedish Consumer Law, car manufacturers are required to pay for rectification work if emissions fall outside their guidelines for components of vehicles up to 5 years/80,000kms. No other countries offer extended warranties on ETS.

As Volvos comply with UK emissions legislation, it is not our intention to launch a similar action in this country.

Volvo new car warranty varies from country to country. In the UK Volvo's new car warranty is for three years/60,000 miles, whichever comes soonest.

Models Concerned
    The models affected are:

•1999, 2000, and 2001 model year S60, S70, V70, XC70, C70 and S80 models.
    •2002 model year V70 non turbo and C70 models.
    •All S60 and V70 bi fuel models.
    No other current or past models are affected

Symptoms
    Customers whose cars display warning messages -"Check Engine" or "ETS", or experience uneven engine idle, or their car running in "limp mode"1 should take their car to a Volvo dealer who can diagnose if the symptoms are related to the ETS.

1. Limp mode is designed so that the car does not come to a sudden halt and can still be driven at low speed to a position of safety.

SolutionsThere are a number of possible solutions:

•the Electronic Throttle Module can be cleaned and refitted
    •the Electronic Throttle Module can be replaced by a new on
    •the Electronic Throttle System can receive a software upgrade:
    From April 2006 a software upgrade will be available for affected cars to improve the performance of the ETS. This software will be progressively available over a few months, due to the number of different ETS/engine combinations.
    Volvo Car UK will continue to review individual cases, taking into account the age of vehicle, mileage and service history, as they are brought to the Company's attention. In 2005 Volvo's UK Customer Relations team dealt sympathetically and helped some 50 customers who had experienced ETS problems. No accidents were reported in any of these cases.

Government Contact
    Volvo Car UK has made VOSA (the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) aware of its actions with respect to the ETS component in the UK. ETS issues are emissions related, not safety related.

STATEMENT

As Volvo's reputation is founded on the quality of its cars, we are most concerned to hear of the continued dissatisfaction of the customers featured in tonight's programme and would ask them to contact our Customer Relations Department so that we can ascertain how best we can restore their confidence in our products and service.

We anticipate that the roll out of the software upgrade planned for quarter two this year will improve the performance of affected cars without the need to replace the ETM so reducing the incidence of customer's experiencing failure of this component.

13 February 2006

Watchdog; Volvo Electronic Throttle System

STATEMENT

As Volvo's reputation is founded on the quality and safety of its cars, we are most concerned to hear of the continued dissatisfaction and experiences of the customers featured in tonight's programme.

We will contact these particular customers and would ask other Volvo drivers, who are experiencing difficulties with their Electronic Throttle System, to contact our Customer Relations Department, or their local Volvo dealer, so that we can work together to restore their confidence in our products and service.

We also plan to introduce a software upgrade from April 2006 onwards which will reduce the likelihood of issues with the Electronic Throttle System. Volvo Car UK Ltd will make this available, at no charge, to customers with affected cars who contact our Customer Relations Department.

Volvo Car UK

Volvo Car UK
    14.30, 04 December 2006

Watchdog – Volvo Statement

As Volvo's reputation is founded on safety, Volvo never hesitates to launch world wide safety recall campaigns when they are required. However, Volvo does not believe that ETM malfunction is a safety-related issue and this view is shared by the authorities in the UK.

Volvo is actively working with its dealers to resolve customer cases involving ETM issues. For the models potentially affected, a free of charge software upgrade and ETM clean has been progressively rolled out and Volvo has offered this solution to nearly 2,000 customers to date.

Regrettably some vehicles require a new ETM and, in these situations, Volvo makes a contribution towards the cost depending on a vehicle's age and mileage. Volvo dealers are aware of the campaign and have recently been reminded of the process in place for customers.

We are extremely sorry to learn that some customers remain dissatisfied with the service they have received and would ask any customer who is still concerned about this issue to contact their local Volvo dealer or the Volvo Customer Relations team.

Home | Legal | Contact Us | Members | Join VOC | Search | Site Map

Volvo Owners Club Limited® 1962-2013
    Last edited by Harvey; Tuesday 12th March 2013 at 21:07.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Volvo are doing nothing in the UK about this, they offered a software update which cost 50p + half an hours labour, they did offer the free clean which has now stopped, they also offered a discounted price on the effected ETMs about £180 + fitting + software. This stopped 18 months ago, you will be quoted £500+ for a new ETM.

There are other options pm me if interested

Simon
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Interesting reading (whilst in the bath).

So they acknowledge the fault but mines too old now to be seen to (2001).

It stutters and the idle can become uneven but the engine management code says front lambda sensor

Ed

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    It stutters and the idle can become uneven but the engine management code says front lambda sensor

Ed
    Not an uncommon problem on any car TBH. Had my Volvo done recently and now her MX5 needs hers doing. Easy enough job in theory, can be a pain in the ar3e in practice.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did the lambda replacement fix your Volvo?

Sometimes if I go for full throttle in say 3rd gear, it just won't go anywhere and will stammer.

I don't fancy replacing one as I don't have much time.... Oh well ill have to find time.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Did the lambda replacement fix your Volvo?
    Yep

I don't fancy replacing one as I don't have much time.... Oh well ill have to find time.
    I was the same. Could have saved myself a few quid trying myself but my local indie probably does 10 a month so have it down to a fine art! Its an OK job if it comes out easily. If it is corroded in, then thats a feckin nightmare. I bet you a tenner yours is rusted in solid!!
    If you do it yourself make sure you clear the fault out of the ECU

Thread Information