Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts

Continuous Variable Valve Timing CVVT - ME7 - Discuss...

My reasons for putting up this thread are I wanted to discuss the relative merits of deleting the ME7 CVVT in favour of vernier pulleys or some alternative cam timing method.

There are 2 basic versions of variable valve timing. Volvo uses phased timing where the position of the cam lobe is advanced or retarded relative to the crank position. so that the valves are lifted to the same extent but earlier or later in the cycle and VTEC cam shift timing where the actual lift of the valve is altered, by shifting different profiles in and out, but we'll leave that to Honda.

Ferrari use a 3D lobe that allows a continuously variable profile on the cam which moves laterally to increase or decrease the lift...

Name:  camshaft-ferrari.gif
Views: 0
Size:  10.7 KB

This YT vid shows much of the ideas involved.

From 1999 onwards Volvo introduced CVVT on ME7 engines on the exhaust cam. To be honest I wasn't sure how it worked - GIYF - I found an article in PDF format.

Name:  CVVT_exhaust_cam.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  104.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo
    General
    The engine control module (ECM) continuously controls the Continuous VariableValve Timing valve which in turn controls the CVVT unit with engine oil pressure. The Continuous Variable Valve Timing unit is mounted on the exhaust camshaft and is installed on all B52X4T engines. The control has 15 camshaft degrees (30 crankshaft degrees) between its outer positions. The variable camshaft is hydraulically controlled by the engine oil. The camshaft rotation takes place by the engine oil, using the Continuous Variable Valve Timing valve, transferring to either the Continuous Variable Valve Timing unit front (A) or rear (B) chambers. The chambers are divided by a piston which is fixed in the camshaft. When oil presses on the piston it results in a rotating motion in the piston because it installed in the Continuous Variable Valve Timing unit cover with splines. The pulse wheel for the timing belt is located on the Continuous Variable
    Valve Timing unit outer cover. The control is very fast and exact, it only takes approximately 500 ms to transfer between the "VCC-106196 US 2002-07-11" 1
    outer positions. The Continuous Variable Valve Timing valve has very fine channels, for exact control and is therefore very sensitive to impurities. The variable camshaft main task is to minimize exhaust emissions, mainly at cold start, but also gives an improved idling quality. Before the engine starts an internal check
    occurs as follows:
    1. When the when the ignition is switched onan electrical check is carried out on the signal cable, the power supply cable and thesolenoid. The check is carried out for a short-circuit to supply voltage/ground and open-circuit.
    2. The camshaft checks if it is in the correct position compared to the flywheel, whenthe camshaft is in its 0-position (mechanical resting position). This can be done by comparing the signals from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor and the engine speed (RPM)/position sensor. If the deviations are too large between these the Continuous Variable Valve Timing valve does not activate and the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored.
    3. In case of larger controlled deviations at the variable camshaft the time taken to regulate to the control value is measured. This time is used partially to determine how long it takes to alter the camshaft angle and partially to switch off the variable camshaft if the time exceeds a certain maximum time. The camshaft uses the engine oil and oil pressure to turn. The rotation time depends on engine speed (RPM), oil pressure, viscosity etc. which in turn depends on oil temperature and quality etc.
    4. To check that the camshaft position (CMP) sensor is correct it is compared to the signal from the engine speed (RPM)/position sensor when the engine turns. When the engine has started the check is interrupted.
      If the check gives faulty values a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored and Continuous Variable Valve Timing control ceases.
    Having sat here & thought about it a while - does the CVVT in ME7 actually help at higher RPM - or would it just be better to blank it off & use a cam which is optimised for the tune/map on a given car?
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Tuesday 12th March 2013 at 16:15.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    the only people i've seen blanking the VVT off so far have been people putting the RN engine into 850's which don't have the management system for it

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    It is odd that Volvo put the VVT on the exhaust cam - where most single VVT on DOHC engines use cam phasing on the inlet. I wonder why that is.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    It is odd that Volvo put the VVT on the exhaust cam - where most single VVT on DOHC engines use cam phasing on the inlet. I wonder why that is.
    Maybe because its more of a benefit to have it on the exhaust side when the car has a turbo?

N/A engines benefit more from having it on the inlet, like the single vanos system on my bmw..................possibly??
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I think it is likely to do with improving the scavenging timing rather than the power?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    The Volvo n/a does have the vvt on the inlet but turbos have it on the exhaust because its forced induction

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 12th March 2013)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    We noticed a drop off of power on the R over 4000 rpm when the exhaust VVT unit packed up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    There is no point in having the VVT on the inlet side on the turbo as the flow is governed by the boost so it`s on the exhaust where it is most rewarding ....

However on later models the VVT is on both banks!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    So basically, i was correct lol

wonders will never cease ;-)
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    laugh it up bummer erm I mean bimmer boy. Any way what do people think about changing VVT for a fixed system - step backwards?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    laugh it up bummer erm I mean bimmer boy. Any way what do people think about changing VVT for a fixed system - step backwards?
    What benefits do you think you'll get by deleting it?
    Do you know of people running later cars that have deleted it?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I don't think you will get any benefit by deleting vvt due to your Ecu can control the vvt anyway .the reason for vernier pulleys is to set the required power bank you require witch you have the best of both world already.also the is abit of adjustment that can be done on the stock pulleys anyway .

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Unplug the solenoid, and see what you think of it without it. I think you'll soon plug it back in.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Just fixing it up for a given RPM range (higher RPM) - but I guess none as such.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just fixing it up for a given RPM range (higher RPM) - but I guess none as such.
    You can set your rev range at 7.5 k no probs mate and it will power all the way to that too with the vvt .when are you going to hlm next

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    This Thursday (14th March). Fitting my 300lph fuel pump & ASNU 650cc injectors & another dyno run. Is the VVT mapable?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This Thursday (14th March). Fitting my 300lph fuel pump & ASNU 650cc injectors & another dyno run. Is the VVT mapable?
    If it is controlled by the Ecu then yes I should of thought so best ask hamish mate

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    I would leave the vvt but I m no expert looking forward to hearing Thursdays results
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    Is the VVT mapable?
    Yes.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Thursday 14th March 2013)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I think it is likely to do with improving the scavenging timing rather than the power?
    I think both are relative Dave.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information