Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air con removal

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    look james you may go to the garage to get a dustcap changed but thats not how i roll, i do it all myself
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, James, I just don't get what you're doing on this forum, you comment if anyone speeds, you don't do any of your own maintenance, what exactly do you get out of owning a performance car?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

2. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Monday 4th March 2013)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    He must go to the meets

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    the car has been parked up for 4 years i seriously doubt it will have any left
    You lose approx 10% per year on most cars systems the new car systems only lose 2% Per year new EU rule.
    Just to add when you use your recovery equipment dont have any flames around as if you mix the two together it very bad for you long term health.
    NO SMOKING.......
    Last edited by Harvey; Monday 4th March 2013 at 22:25.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, James, I just don't get what you're doing on this forum, you comment if anyone speeds, you don't do any of your own maintenance, what exactly do you get out of owning a performance car?
    Safety.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Plus I like the shape of the car....

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Safety.
    I would have thought VOC would be more suited to you.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    There's a lot of people on here that don't maintain their own cars, they get it done at a garage or somewhere. I can do some basic easy access maintenance but that's about it, I do the best I can. I'm better at theory than I am at practice when it comes to cars.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    He must go to the meets
    I am, I'm planning to make the Haynes Day in May!

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    There's a lot of people on here that don't maintain their own cars, they get it done at a garage or somewhere. I can do some basic easy access maintenance but that's about it, I do the best I can. I'm better at theory than I am at practice when it comes to cars.
    I personally don't have a problem with that at all, what I don't get is your attitude towards 'spirited' driving, I also have no problem with your feelings towards 'spirited' driving, but this forum is Volvo Performance Club UK, I just think you would feel more at home with like minded people on VOC Forum.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    I personally don't have a problem with that at all, what I don't get is your attitude towards 'spirited' driving, I also have no problem with your feelings towards 'spirited' driving, but this forum is Volvo Performance Club UK, I just think you would feel more at home with like minded people on VOC Forum.
    No disrespect but I think this is the wrong thread to be debating forum suitability, but I think I've done just fine on here and I'm not leaving the forum unless I'm removed my Admin/Moderators. Ok, back to the aircon topic...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 4th March 2013)

Not from Newcastle
    Further North than Foammanmark
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Just get somebody else to cut the aircon hose frankie then there's no chance of you getting injured. Lol. Call a mate round to do it like i did. Lol.
    Current Car: VW Golf GT TDI 170 DSG

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    I've got my own AC recovery machine....

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    So it sounds like you are volunteering !.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    No probs....anytime

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    i did that last time and it was too short
    I did your v70 I think but cannot remember .if you get a none aircon belt from Volvo it should fit .cut a pipe and let what is left if any gas out

Not from Newcastle
    Further North than Foammanmark
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    Thats no way to talk about the wife mate. Lol
    Current Car: VW Golf GT TDI 170 DSG

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Whatever you do, DON'T simply remove the low pressure service port cap, press the valve with a long screwdriver to see if there's any gas left in the system.

If there is refrigerant in the lines, cutting the pipes is possibly the worst thing you could do - you run a high risk of receiving frostbite - R134a is an extremely heavy gas - that means if you breath any in, you won't be breathing it out as it will sit in your lungs - not pleasant.

Just in case your thinking of wearing pvc garden gloves when handling refrigerant, not recommended unless you want your hands shrink wrapping.

James is correct - think safety.
    Last edited by stephenevans99; Monday 4th March 2013 at 23:39.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Tuesday 5th March 2013)

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Aircon gas should be recovered if you are responsible.

We fitted Aircon back into my 855 after it was hacked out by a really terrible mechanic to fit the FMIC. With a bit of skill and dexterity it can be kept. It's nice sitting in chilled air when waiting to go out on track.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    r134a is non toxic and Non flamible!
    it boils at -30c
    in the eu it is illegal to vert to air and to be found doing this can result in £5k fines and upto 2 years in prison (just to mention)

The gas is heavy and in sparing amounts can cause suffer cation... as said further up by Stephen the fluid can burn very badly....

safety said its not illegal to vent in the U.S and also the bigger fact that some paintball and bb guns run off this as "green gas" so its ok to run around the woods shooting each other with it but..... not diy a/c

I wouldnt slate anyone who did it on the sly as getting someone out to expel the gas really isnt cheap.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5678&dateline=1287350  651

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The ability to overtake safely?
    He must go to the meets
    And achieve what? Meeting other enthusiasts is the only reason I go to meets.
    There's nothing wrong with James' attitude mate. Frankie has his reputation for being the resident yob (if you'd seen the way he left the RR day at uxbridge, even you'd have called him a tit ) You have the rep for being the oldest boyracer on the forum, I talk a load of 5h1t most of the time, V70Graham has the reputation of being the slowest driver on the forum, Liam and Mike shouldn't even be here with their german barges blah blah... So James has a reputation for going on about being safe? so what? What keeps me here is the diversity of people and the enjoyment I get from getting involved. If the forum was souly about driving like an idot all the time and taking risks, it wouldn't last very long at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett855tdi View Post
    r134a is non toxic and Non flamible!
    it boils at -30c
    in the eu it is illegal to vert to air and to be found doing this can result in £5k fines and upto 2 years in prison (just to mention)

The gas is heavy and in sparing amounts can cause suffer cation... as said further up by Stephen the fluid can burn very badly....

safety said its not illegal to vent in the U.S and also the bigger fact that some paintball and bb guns run off this as "green gas" so its ok to run around the woods shooting each other with it but..... not diy a/c

I wouldnt slate anyone who did it on the sly as getting someone out to expel the gas really isnt cheap.
    Back to the topic... As above, venting heavy gasses to atmosphere has numerous drawbacks (mostly legal) and can be dangerous but what you do in your own front garden is up to you. The method of slowly cracking a pipe would allow the gasses to vent gently without fear of physical injury - basically a controlled discharge. Just stand well back until the hissing stops.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Tuesday 5th March 2013)

Thread Information