Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

1999 C70 Alpine amp 2ohm stable?

Just thinking out loud here lol

Is the Alpine amp fitted to the C70's 2 ohm stable?

Also I have read it is 4 ohm load a channel which is fine but I know the midrange speakers in the front are rated at 8 ohm!

Is this because there are 3 speakers connected to that channel, assuming the amp sees no load from the tweeter and 2 x 8 ohm loads from the 3 inch and the bass speaker
    it is in effect seeing a 4 ohm load right?

I was toying with the idea of adding 2 more speakers to the front channel but not if the amp is not 2 ohm stable lol

Any thoughts?

Also could do the same with a pair of subs in the back if the amp wont cry!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thad1 View Post

I was toying with the idea of adding 2 more speakers to the front channel but not if the amp is not 2 ohm stable lol

Any thoughts?

Also could do the same with a pair of subs in the back if the amp wont cry!
    When you say adding a pair into the front what do mean? subs or tweeters?

If you have the 4x100 amp i would upgrade all four 8" subs and im thinking the alpine will love it, thats what im planning to do and maybe in the future add another amp for a 3rd pair in the rear seats.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5678&dateline=1287350  651

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well to be honest I was curious about how the speakers are wired to the amp in terms of whether it's 4 or 8 ohms.

When I crank mine right up I get a bit of distortion, this I think is due to the amp clipping, the Dynaudio are good for 200 watts RMS, I am sure the alpine is 50 Watts RMS a channel at best!

What you need is a more powerful amp, the Dynaudios will take it no problem it's the amp that's the limiting factory I think!

I was wondering if I could pull more power from the amp by wiring everything for a 2ohm load!
    Assuming it's 50 watts RMS a corner that may get it to 75 RMS which would be a significant upgrade!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Also the Dynaudio are known to be power hungry little blighters and I reckon to drive them properly you need at least 100 Watts RMS a corner!

I have a 2 channel amp that kicks out 100 Watts RMS a corner, I was thinking of wiring it to the rear speakers and seeing what the difference is!

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i very much doubt its 2ohm stable, as theirs no need to i don't think they'd of over-engineered it that much

This user has no status

Thanks
    Probably not, having said that most amps are 2 ohm stable now!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    They are 100w max im sure, 200w rms? even at 2ohms i doubt it very much.... They are made of paper!
    they distort when they are flapping around like mad they may have a fancy name but really arnt that different to any other factory speaker..... the one in my pasenger side door has fried, i really think the Alpine amp is the superior piece of kit. I recon u will get them smoking with any extra power.... but let me know how it goes lol
    Last edited by Brett855tdi; Saturday 2nd March 2013 at 23:05.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5678&dateline=1287350  651

This user has no status
    Thanks
    and they are wired 4 ohm if you want to wire 2 ohm you will have to go mono as u will need 2 coils per channel to go down that far, could add a second pair and back them in on the back but would need to be the same drivers

This user has no status

Thanks
    I think the amp is good but it deffo has a sweet spot, once you go over it you can hear it clipping. What makes the drivers flap around is the clipping from the amp. The subs are rated 160 Watts rms, I reckon at best they are getting 50 Watts RMS from the alpine amp. I might wire my amp up today to the 2 in the back and see what they are like with more power. You may turn out to be right though and they may just end up being more flappy ha ha

My amp is 2 ohm stable so i could add another pair of subs in the holes behind the rear seats to get 4 in the back!

I think at 2 ohms mine is 150 watts RMS a channel so i might just connect both speakers to one channel and see what happens!!

Probably a loud bang ha ha

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well chances are it will sound pretty good before it does lol thats one thing i have noticed when i have blown things up

This user has no status

Thanks
    ha ha we shall see!

Ran out of time today lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Im curious lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    I will get round to this shortly I promise ha ha

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thad1 For This Useful Post:

Brett855tdi (Thursday 7th March 2013)

Thread Information