Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Thumbs up Video of Steering and Transmission based noises...

I was busy this morning, I decided to go out in the freezing cold to create a video of some noises and sounds from the steering and transmission on my T5. I like doing these videos because they say a million words in just a few minutes and it's also useful for anyone else who is finding the same noises on their car. The first part features some commentary by yours truely along with some interesting demonstrations, the second half really is just me revving the car up in gear and filming the noises from the outside of the car and underneath so you can have a listen from a different angle. It's almost as good as being there yourself!

Now, as always you'll have to forgive the lack of editing finesse with this video as it's really just a functional reference for people to look at. One thing I didn't mention in the video, is that on full lock I'm getting a 'knock, knock, knock' sound in both directions, but not whilst the front wheels are off the ground, only when the weight of the car is on the wheels. I suspect that's CV joints however the o/s driveshaft was only replaced in September 2012!!!

Upon searching for CV joints, I notice you can buy outer CV joints, but inner CV joints seem to be as rare as hens teeth and I don't know why. Maybe some of you can shed some light on that for me?

Anyway, the video......

Regards

James

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Sounds like a Gearbox whine to me.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Sounds like a Gearbox whine to me.
    Yes it does! And I did this with the wheels off the ground so I could listen to the noise off the road without trye and wind noise covering it up and it kind of confirms my original gearbox theory. There are 'extra' sounds that you hear when it's on the road so I think I could be looking at a replacement gearbox and possibly 1 or 2 new CV joints as well. Brilliant!

Ok, anything else that needs replacing before this car bankrupts me.....

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    have you checked to see if there is any oil in the gearbox?? Molyslip is really good at quieting down a noisy box

5. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Friday 22nd February 2013)

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Yous a braver man than me, no way I would have done that on axle stands no matter how secure they were.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Friday 22nd February 2013),jotter22 (Wednesday 27th February 2013),stephenevans99 (Friday 22nd February 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Yous a braver man than me, no way I would have done that on axle stands no matter how secure they were.
    yes that thought did cross my mind but it seemed an acceptable risk to save some time at a garage. Fortune favours the brave!

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    have you checked to see if there is any oil in the gearbox?? Molyslip is really good at quieting down a noisy box
    That will be the next step, I know stribo has posted advice on the subject already so I'll try some transmission fluid and go from there before condemning the gearbox.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    you cant buy inner cvs but i can get a refurb shaft for £70 ish. im sure i gave you the link when you replaced the first shaft

11. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Friday 22nd February 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    you cant buy inner cvs but i can get a refurb shaft for £70 ish. im sure i gave you the link when you replaced the first shaft
    Thanks, what link because I don't remember...?

This user has no status

Thanks
    if you watch the wheels spinning when you turn full lock right the o/side front wheel practically stops meaning the CV joint is not doing its job.
    The whine sounds very similar to the sound made by clarksons alfa in the top gear cheap alfas challenge

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stevmo For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Saturday 23rd February 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    did you replace the driveshaft yourself or was it a garage as checking with my old man what he recons has happened is that the intermediate shaft which needs careful removal from the transmission to prevent damage to the bearings was removed at a bad angle or the shaft was removed from the intermediate leaving the intermediate to strain the bearing on the transmission. This will intern have meant the shaft was being rotated at a bad angle and would have caused un-due wear on both the new shaft and the wheel bearing. So Likelihood is thats whats wrong

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stevmo For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevmo View Post
    did you replace the driveshaft yourself or was it a garage as checking with my old man what he recons has happened is that the intermediate shaft which needs careful removal from the transmission to prevent damage to the bearings was removed at a bad angle or the shaft was removed from the intermediate leaving the intermediate to strain the bearing on the transmission. This will intern have meant the shaft was being rotated at a bad angle and would have caused un-due wear on both the new shaft and the wheel bearing. So Likelihood is thats whats wrong
    Thanks for the advice here! The drivers side driveshaft was replaced by a garage not by myself and if I can prove the garage are at fault I could make a claim on their insurance to have the work fixed for free. Proving it would be very hard without an independent examination by at least 2 garages to verify your theory and for me to have enough evidence to go in there and make a claim.

The garage that fitted the part is the same garage that left one of my top nuts loose on the front struts when I had them changed about 6 weeks ago. The garage are a well established garage and a well respected one in the community so I've never had any doubts about their work quality until all these things have started to crop up. I won't be using them again unless it's a warranty job on the parts and labour but to be honest I'd take a cheque from them and go somewhere else, preferably a main stealer if it wasn't going to cost me anything.

I'll have a look at the video again, because the wheel I filmed from the side is the n/s front wheel but you said you noticed the o/s front wheel nearly stops?

Thanks again for the input. Is you 'old man' an experienced mechanic then I take it?

Regards

James

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    I think the steering whine is similar to what I had. Renewed the PAS fluid and it was fine afterwards.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    if you watch the wheels spinning when you turn full lock right the o/side front wheel practically stops meaning the CV joint is not doing its job.
    The whine sounds very similar to the sound made by clarksons alfa in the top gear cheap alfas challenge
    I've looked at the video again and between 3:35 and 3:40 I can see exactly what you mean! The drivers side wheel virtually stops whilst the passengers side wheel continues to spin, this is something I didn't even notice so thank you again for the keen observation (to you and your Dad?). I'm going to look further in to this and see if I can prove the garage are at fault, that way I'll have more grounds to go down there and complain.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Check the pas fluid level and possibly flush it. Sounds like a bearing to me but there are several possibilities. Don't buy a gearbox (or anything else) until somebody has checked it. You have been treated badly so far. Call MRG or Tim Williams - both have sorted things out when all looked very bad on my car. Was the os tyre fouling the floor in that video? 100 mph in your drive on a jack is taking significant risk - at the very least chock the rear wheels and have solid axle stands. Did you try the bearing "test" I mentioned?
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    Check the pas fluid level and possibly flush it. Sounds like a bearing to me but there are several possibilities. Don't buy a gearbox (or anything else) until somebody has checked it. You have been treated badly so far. Call MRG or Tim Williams - both have sorted things out when all looked very bad on my car. Was the os tyre fouling the floor in that video? 100 mph in your drive on a jack is taking significant risk - at the very least chock the rear wheels and have solid axle stands. Did you try the bearing "test" I mentioned?
    The tyre was not touching the floor and I did make sure the car was secure before I drove at high speed, the car was sat solidly on 2 metal axle stands and I'd made several checks turning each wheel manually to ensure the wheels were not touching the ground or likely to do so (hence some low speed test first and a gradual increase of speed).

I have tried your bearing test but I wasn't able to obtain any noticeable difference on cornering, the main clunks come at full lock at low speed in both directions. As for the gearbox, I'm going to try getting the system oil changed first and see how it goes from there.

Regards

James

This user has no status

Thanks
    Fair enough - I couldn't see the stands in the video and thought it was just resting on the jack. The noise increases in pitch with wheel speed so the fault lies between or including the wheel bearing and diff. When it was up on the stands were you able to identify which side the whine was coming from?
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The nearside tyre looks very close to the ground and may even be touching the ground causing it to stop. This would also give you some extra noise. You also get in and out of the car which may weigh it down a bit too. It does sound a bit gearboxy though which is not good and has been suggested, check it has any oil in the box.
    Thx

Tek

Emo vilis emo bis

2003 V70 SE, 5244 S2, 2.4 24v, 101,000 miles
    Mods: Yatour MP3 CD Emulator

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 25th February 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    I've looked at the video again and between 3:35 and 3:40 I can see exactly what you mean! The drivers side wheel virtually stops whilst the passengers side wheel continues to spin, this is something I didn't even notice so thank you again for the keen observation (to you and your Dad?). I'm going to look further in to this and see if I can prove the garage are at fault, that way I'll have more grounds to go down there and complain.

no problem - all helps. My dads been working on cars for over 40 years. Was a qualified mechanic many moons ago but while technology advances the basics stay the same. Hope it does prove to be their fault but based on what I can see and hear in that video that is what I believe to be the case.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stevmo For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Tuesday 26th February 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    no problem - all helps. My dads been working on cars for over 40 years. Was a qualified mechanic many moons ago but while technology advances the basics stay the same. Hope it does prove to be their fault but based on what I can see and hear in that video that is what I believe to be the case.
    The car is off to the Main Stealers (reluctantly), tomorrow (Wednesday 27th) to get the diagnostics done for the ABS/STC light issues but I'm also going to ask them to investigate why I'm geting ''clunk, clunkc, clunk' clunk' on full lock because it will match your theory about the CV joint. I'll also mention this transmission noise and see if they put 2 and 2 together. In the meantime I'm going back and forth to work praying nothing falls off it.

Thanks again for your help and I'll be posting the results up on the forum.

Regards

James

Thread Information