Join Today
    Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts

S60 Parcel Shelf Removal - How To

Ever since I bought my S60 almost 12 months ago, I've suffered from an annoying little rattle from the centre of rear parcel shelf, the rattle was intermittent but appeared more often when driving on poor quality roads. Enough was enough - so this morning I set about the task of trying to discover & eliminate the source.....

To remove the parcel shelf takes about 15 minutes, it's not difficult to do and the only tool you need is a torx bit screw driver.

1. Open the boot and pull on the handles to release the back seats. Hinge the seat back rests forward so they lie flat.

2. Remove the seat belt from it's guide.

3. Remove the small clip situated alongside the seat bolster. This allows you to fold the boot carpet back out of the way.

4. Remove the seat bolster. Looking at the top edge at the back of the bolster (where you've just folded the carpet back) you will see a plastic clip - simply press this clip and pull the bolster gently forward. Gently twisting the bolster anti clockwise will release the other plastic clip - lifting the bolster upwards to finally remove it. The bolster is secured by 3 simple locating clips as shown below:

5. Remove the small cap on the plastic trim on the rear pillar using a blunt tool. This then reveals a torx screw.

6. Remove the torx screw and then pull quite firmly inwards from the top edge of the panel. This will release the trim panel so it can be removed by pulling it forwards and out. Once the trim has been removed, the airbag is exposed - obviously DO NOT DISTURB the airbag.

The parcel shelf is now ready to be removed.

7. Gently lift the front edge of the parcel shelf as it is located with 2 inch locating pins, then gently pull the parcel shelf inwards and then rest it on the folded seat backs.

I suspected the rattle came from the wiring loom which went across the top of the boot panel....

....although the wiring was already enclosed in foam - I wrapped a small section in some 10mm closed cell foam (it's the only thing I had):

The simply refit the parcel shelf in reverse order. The only additional step is that the parcel shelf has 3 locating tabs which simply locate in the boot panel - these are guided in as the shelf is located into it's fitted position.

RESULTS: No more annoying rattles

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Good write up, isn't it satisfying solving a long standing niggle, you must be pleased.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    It's the small things that can annoy you so much. Parcel shelf noise fixed - all I'm left with now is a slight 'resonation' from the top of the dash as I accelerate - it only buzzes for a split second on take off - annoying though....lol

Thread Information