I was driving back from work last night and I heard what I initially thought was an air leak or an exhaust issue. As I got up to 3rd gear and accelerated away down the dual carriageway, I thought I hear an 'airy' sound that sounded not unlike a sound you would get from a gas leak but with a gritty/bearing sound mixed in with it as well.

I thought I'd do some trouble shooting before I passed judgement so I tried to recreate the sound on different sections of road, at different speeds and in different gears. When I got to a nice straight section of road I took the car out of gear for a few seconds and revved the engine to 4000 rpm+ and the sound did not happen, meaning that I could pretty much rule out any air leaks or exhaust issues as these would occur whether the car was in gear or not.

So, then I focused in on the gearbox. I noticed in 1st and 5th the noise wasn't there but as soon as I got to 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears, it showed up. So, again to confirm my theory I popped the car in to 3rd (the noisiest gear out of the 3), and put my foot down on the throttle and no suprises this gritty/grindy/airy sound showed up again. Then I popped the car in to neutral and revved the engine - no noise, just the normal engine revs!

When I to town, I tried 1st gear and this noise didn't seem to happen but as soon as I got to 2nd, it showed up. At higher speeds in 5th I can't hear it either so the conclusion is that 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears are beginning to go, and this has suddenly showed up with little or no warning.

Incidentally, I know someone will ask this question so I'll answer it now..... I have not had any problems changing in to any of the gears apart from reverse which sometimes doesn't want to engage until I lift the clutch slightly. Other than this, all the gear changes have been smooth and nothing has slipped out of gear (yet!).

Looks like I'm going to be saving for a replacement gearbox (recon unit I suggest), and I might as well have the clutch done at the same time. It's going to be another big bill!

I can't believe I just spent £1500 on suspension parts to now find the gearbox is giving up!

Regards

James