Method i used:

2 bucket method
    Dry with 2 microfiber towels
    1 Coat of Autoglym Super Resin polish
    HD cleanser
    1 coat of HD wax
    Rain-x of the windscreen
    Meguirs Tyre gel

Only a quick one to try the HD cleanser and wax, will probably apply a couple of more coats of wax or wait til next time and clay the car first.
    The bodywork isn't the best of conditions, with the bumper needing spraying and the wheel refurbing but til i get round to it, it's the best of a bad situation.
    Oh and i still need to drop the exhaust to clean that, but will be done when i get it decated.

The pictures have had the clarity adjusted using a simple iPhone app, i can send original pictures if anyone is intrested.

And last but not least, a little bit of cheap labour...he will work for fruit pastiles or milky way bars.

**No harming of children we're taken during cleaning process**

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    About time you spent some time on the old girl

3. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

sartain87 (Saturday 16th February 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    [QUOTE=sartain87;574309]So decided to give the old bus a quick clean before work,

Method i used:

2 bucket method
    HD cleanser
    1 coat of HD wax
    Rain-x of the windscreen
    Meguirs Tyre gel

Only a quick one to try the HD cleanser and wax, will probably apply a couple of more coats of wax or wait til next time and clay the car first.
    The bodywork isn't the best of conditions, with the bumper needing spraying and the wheel refurbing but til i get round to it, it's the best of a bad situation.
    Oh and i still need to drop the exhaust to clean that, but will be done when i get it decated.

Shouldn't the order be wash it, cleanse it, polish it then wax it. Using the cleanse after the polish would take the polish off?

Be safe and keep it in your
    pants!

Thanks
    I wanted to fill the deep scratches first, as its a little abrasive and wax to protect it a little til next time.

Was only having a little play and quick clean because of the snow, this was its first wash this year haha once i got more time will be done properly.

pants!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    About time you spent some time on the old girl
    once its running right ill get the bodywork sorted and clean it properly, wanna wet vac the interior at some point

This user has no status

Thanks
    real shiney that

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BIG DAN For This Useful Post:

sartain87 (Saturday 16th February 2013)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    [QUOTE=MIKESC70T5;574335]
    Quote Originally Posted by sartain87 View Post
    So decided to give the old bus a quick clean before work,

Method i used:

2 bucket method
    HD cleanser
    1 coat of HD wax
    Rain-x of the windscreen
    Meguirs Tyre gel

Shouldn't the order be wash it, cleanse it, polish it then wax it. Using the cleanse after the polish would take the polish off?
    Polish isn't a coating , you are supposed to take it off, wax is a coating.
    I don't understand it when I read that people are building up layers of polish, it doesn't work like that.
    Last edited by volvokid; Saturday 16th February 2013 at 20:22.
    Thanks
    Martyn

pants!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I don't understand it when I read that people are building up layers of polish, it doesn't work like that.
    Would you say that was right then, to use polish as a slight abrasive to fill the deeper scratches then use the cleanser with a final coat of wax or 2?

Before ive just clayed, polished then waxed not used this cleanser before

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sartain87 View Post
    Would you say that was right then, to use polish as a slight abrasive to fill the deeper scratches then use the cleanser with a final coat of wax or 2?

Before ive just clayed, polished then waxed not used this cleanser before
    If I'm to be honest with you, polish isn't suppose to fill scratches, but it does that's why when I do paint correction I need to spray on a cleaner to get rid of any polish that has filled imperfections that I'm trying to get rid of. I used to use zymol cleanser not the cheap stuff you get from halfords but tbh I didn't have a need for it, it was an extra step that would add no real value. If you notice a difference keep using it in that way but I didn't.
    One other little tip, I bet when you are drying your car with you mf cloths you are rubbing them over the paint? Don't you are simply going to introduce more swirls , invest in two waffle weave towels and pat try the car, whilst giving the car a light spray of quick detailer.
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have one more thing , see your mf cloths are they the ones with labels on them? That alone will scratch a car lol stupid I know but I tested that theory on my black c70 and it did scratch it. Having a light coloured car makes things a lot easier to live with. I've never paint corrected my green r yet but if it was a dark colour the swirls would do my head in.
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=volvokid;574401]
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post

I know that, the polish just brings up a shine and the wax protects the paint. The cleanser he talks about should be used to take any contaminants off/in the paint and then theres a base point to use the polish to buff up. Using the polish first could potentially put more swirl marks in the paint as the paint hasn't been cleaned properly. That's how I understand it, but happy to be corrected.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have one more thing , see your mf cloths are they the ones with labels on them? That alone will scratch a car lol stupid I know but I tested that theory on my black c70 and it did scratch it. Having a light coloured car makes things a lot easier to live with. I've never paint corrected my green r yet but if it was a dark colour the swirls would do my head in.
    One of my best selling products is PoorBoys black hole for darker cars, great for quickly masking swirl marks on darker cars. Meguiars ultimate compound is also a great seller for swirl marks etc

This user has no status

Thanks
    You can't fill with polish unless it's specific compound for the job, take megs scratch-x for example, which cuts and rebonds the paint into the scratch. Polish cuts the top layer of paint down, and if your motor is metalic then it will have a clear coat on top, which means that this method won't work. for this you need to touch up the scratch with both base and clear coat, 3 applications of base to build the colour to the top of the scratch, then flat it back with 2kgrit very slighty, then clear coat over that. leave it 48hrs before working it down then give it a light polish to blend it back in.
    If the scratch is not so bad that you feel the need to do that, your autoglym will be fine, if you're on a budget then go grab one of the £20 buffers from halfrauds and have a blast, it takes the elbow grease out of the job but they're not powerful enough to do any damage if you're new to it. This method will never be perfect but the idea is ablating the edges to the scractch so light doesn't catch, as that is what makes the scratch noticable!

pants!

Thanks
    If I'm to be honest with you, polish isn't suppose to fill scratches, but it does that's why when I do paint correction I need to spray on a cleaner to get rid of any polish that has filled imperfections that I'm trying to get rid of. I used to use zymol cleanser not the cheap stuff you get from halfords but tbh I didn't have a need for it, it was an extra step that would add no real value. If you notice a difference keep using it in that way but I didn't.
    One other little tip, I bet when you are drying your car with you mf cloths you are rubbing them over the paint? Don't you are simply going to introduce more swirls , invest in two waffle weave towels and pat try the car, whilst giving the car a light spray of quick detailer.
    Cheers mate, will get some and give it ago, i do notice a little difference using the polish.

Really i need to MOP it, but i need another machine polisher as the wife decided it would look better in the bin haha

Then again once all the bodyworks sorted ill do it properly, for now its just to look a little better and protect from the elements.

This user has no status

Thanks
    PS, I use Liquid shine fine cut medium for anything that requires a bit more bite than the resin polish you have, which is actually quite a good little product

pants!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifton View Post
    You can't fill with polish unless it's specific compound for the job, take megs scratch-x for example, which cuts and rebonds the paint into the scratch. Polish cuts the top layer of paint down, and if your motor is metalic then it will have a clear coat on top, which means that this method won't work. for this you need to touch up the scratch with both base and clear coat, 3 applications of base to build the colour to the top of the scratch, then flat it back with 2kgrit very slighty, then clear coat over that. leave it 48hrs before working it down then give it a light polish to blend it back in.
    If the scratch is not so bad that you feel the need to do that, your autoglym will be fine, if you're on a budget then go grab one of the £20 buffers from halfrauds and have a blast, it takes the elbow grease out of the job but they're not powerful enough to do any damage if you're new to it. This method will never be perfect but the idea is ablating the edges to the scractch so light doesn't catch, as that is what makes the scratch noticable!
    I would never trust myself paint correcting with a proper machine polisher incase i burn through the paint haha

Would super resin polish be fine to take the edge of the scratch with the cheaper machine polisher?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    IMHO Dont waste your money on a halfrauds buffer they are crap save some cash up and get a D/A polisher not as hard to use as an orbital so dont have to worry too much about causing damage to the paint.

Tony.

cut n blow dry,perms,and tinting prices on request!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm actually going back on myself by saying this, you are rite mike, his cleaner will strip all the wax and polish fillers that has been on the car previously, but if you where to use it properly it would mean polish the car first to properly paint correct your car then use the cleanser to get the paint ready for your sealant.
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifton View Post
    Yes it does all polishes contains fillers of sorts
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jotter22 View Post
    IMHO Dont waste your money on a halfrauds buffer they are crap save some cash up and get a D/A polisher not as hard to use as an orbital so dont have to worry too much about causing damage to the paint.

Tony.
    You can't do any damage with a d/a hence why they are so popular now. The head moves in all directions so no chance of you burning the paint.

Thread Information