Join Today
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Another thing I tried was these. Although they gave a perfectly white light (see pics) they weren't bright enough to be used as normal headlights and they triggered the bulb failure warning (I can deal with that tho)

I might try the 120 smd version... click or these... click before I go with another HID set.

Any opinions?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Whats wrong with HID`s?Stop wasting yr money

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Nope fraid not, you must have headlight cleaning and self-levelling.....though it seems self-levelling suspension (Nivomats) will be ok !

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
    2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
    3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
    This legislative junk is not what the MOT testers are working from. There is a massive discrepancy between the DoT stuff & what it states in the MoT rules.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...r-mot-failures

My car passed MoT without any issues & has HID(R) bulbs fitted. Only if fitted - so I don't have self leveling so it can't be tested for.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsford G View Post
    Whats wrong with HID`s?Stop wasting yr money
    I'm already testing a cheap HID kit I want to see if there's an alternative

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I used these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2906356045...84.m1439.l2649
    They are good and bright.The round ones u bought how much blue r they mate?Slight blue ok but no more than that.I need some T11`s too,just fed up searching the best deal so gonna take a couple of days off.

Thanks
    I used these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2906356045...84.m1439.l2649
    They are good and bright.The round ones u bought how much blue r they mate?Slight blue ok but no more than that.I need some T11`s too,just fed up searching the best deal so gonna take a couple of days off.
    The crappy camera on my phone makes them look a bit blue but I promise, they're very white and being CREE, much brighter than I expected.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Kingsford G (Sunday 10th February 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    The crappy camera on my phone makes them look a bit blue but I promise, they're very white and being CREE, much brighter than I expected.
    I mean these ones
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2210430428...84.m1439.l2649
    are they bright and white and worth buying?

Thanks
    Not as good as the other ones mate. I'll send you a few if you like? I've got loads.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

How can the owner of a C70
    have no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    This legislative junk is not what the MOT testers are working from. There is a massive discrepancy between the DoT stuff & what it states in the MoT rules.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...r-mot-failures

My car passed MoT without any issues & has HID(R) bulbs fitted. Only if fitted - so I don't have self leveling so it can't be tested for.
    That does seem quite definitive Dave, doesn`t need self levelling and headlamp washers to have HID`s but if they are fitted they must work properly

Irish seem to have got it wrong

2005 S60 T5 SE X PLOD RICA 300 MAP

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    So what would the outcome be if your self levelling headlights did not work BUT you had self levelling suspension ?

Just seems a bit silly to me.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not as good as the other ones mate. I'll send you a few if you like? I've got loads.
    I bought some yesterday as u didn`t answer and they`ll be here in about 100 weeks lol all the way from China.

Thanks
    I bought some yesterday as u didn`t answer and they`ll be here in about 100 weeks lol all the way from China.
    Sorry mate, I've not been online much, they took about 5 days to show up. They're not bad but the other ones are better.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry mate, I've not been online much, they took about 5 days to show up. They're not bad but the other ones are better.
    I should`ve looked at delivery time.Never mind.Have u been up to yr tricks again?

Thanks
    I'm working on some non Volvo related projects at the moment, so no new stuff to show you today. Although I have a couple of toys sat on a shelf, ready to fit

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm working on some non Volvo related projects at the moment, so no new stuff to show you today. Although I have a couple of toys sat on a shelf, ready to fit
    I something arrived too,just need some time to do it.Off to Belgium next week.

Thanks
    I something arrived too,just need some time to do it.Off to Belgium next week.
    There's all of this week to go yet mate I'll be doing mine tomorrow, weather permitting

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

is car shopping!
    Thanks
    I've been following this thread closely and it gave me the push needed to buy these off ebay for my V50. First impressions are the kit looks cheap, although I suppose it was so I can't really complain as you get what you pay for. Straight out of the box 2 of the spade terminals have fallen off due to poor crimping, so first job tonight is to cut all of the existing spades off and re-do them to be sure.

I'll report back tomorrow when they are in the car to let you know how they turn out.

Thanks
    Wow! An extra 30 quid for canbus free? I bought normal hids and some 50w load resistors for a fiver in case I had a bulb warning - which I didn't need.

Keep us posted mate...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nothing wrong with experimenting to see what cheap stuff is good, and what is not, and what is cost effective

I did cheap hids, after 3 years, had 1 bulb blow across 2 cars, I have also done cheap xennons on the S60 (90+ quid a side from Volvo, 12.95 inc P&P for pair from china) after nearly a year, still fine.

Did the Scantech ME7 from wheel bearings, got for 80 quid posted for pair, only one side had failed, replaced both, kept the decent spare, O/S failed withing 10k (trackdays was a good test) so fitted the decent spare I'd kept from the N/S) and was still fine when car was scraped 20k later, so if you plan to do 5k and get rid of car, and can do work yourself then cheap wheel bearing worth doing, otherwise Volvo genuine at about 150 quid for the part, is cheapest long term solution

Cheap JR CV joints, used on all sorts of cars, inc T5, and prev V40 and never had one fail.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/J-R-CV-JOIN...p2047675.l2563

is car shopping!
    Thanks
    I couldn't be bothered messing round with resistors etc so I paid the extra for the CAN ones. Our work server crashed this afternoon so I had a spare hour and the HID's are now in. It only took around 30 minutes and most of that time was spent working out where to fit the ballasts. I'll have to wait another hour or so to see how they perform in the dark but so far so good.

I've read elsewhere that some kits need the DRL turning off, but these seem to work ok in both the 0 position with DRL on, or in the low beam position. I'll report back after a test in the dark
    Last edited by MattV70; Friday 15th February 2013 at 16:35. Reason: spelling

Thread Information