Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Exclamation Front Wheel Bearings and ARB.... How Much...???!!!

Just looking at wheel bearing prices as it looks like both front bearings are probably well past their best (video to follow by the way). So, for comparison (only), I phoned a Volvo Stealers and got the following prices (I nearly fell of my chair!)......

Front Wheel Bearing = £217.20 incl VAT (each).......Apprantly the Bearing kit now comes as a complete hub assembly. (Thanks for that you money grabbing barstewards!)

Anti-roll bar = £157.20

Now, then I went to flebay and found a new front wheel bearing for £47.19 each including postage (just the wheel bearing but isn't that all I need anyway!)

The ARB is hard to find as a new product so it's either a Volvo part or the Polyurethane bushes. To be honest, the polybushes are a better option as they'll last longer and give better handling. So That's less than £150 for all the parts, but then labour for fitting the wheel bearings will be massive.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    By the way if any trader on here can supply me with the correct, brand new, front wheel bearing x2 for my car for less than the item on flebay then the business is theirs. Must be 2 new ones though.....

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    arb- not required !!

you just need to get the correct size of our anti roll bar bush kits and save £100

from experience, you are best avoiding the absolute cheapest wheel bearings for our volvos - they are heavy old things and where they might be ok on a fiesta, they arent on a volvo!

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by partsforvolvos.com View Post
    arb- not required !!

you just need to get the correct size of our anti roll bar bush kits and save £100

from experience, you are best avoiding the absolute cheapest wheel bearings for our volvos - they are heavy old things and where they might be ok on a fiesta, they arent on a volvo!
    Yeah, I intend to go for the Polybush option. Are they quite easy to fit? I mean how do I get them on to the ARB, do they just slide on with some encouragement and should I use grease because I was informed the other day that grease can attach the polyurethane? Your product description states use an appropriate grease so which grease should I use if this is the case?

Would you price match if I found the same bushes somewhere else and could prove it? (Sorry sounding tight as a ducks §§§§ now but I'm sure you can understand).

As for the bearings, the ones I've got could well result in an MOT failure in March and as the budget has been over squeezed already, 2 new cheapex ones will be better than what I've got on the car already, although I take your point.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Copper grease mate - comes with the bush in a nice little sachet
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    i have some of the same grease ipd put in their antiroll bar kits to sell seperately - its known to be ok for polyurethane.

as far as i know, these arb kits are not for sale anywhere else. they are easy to fit - the bushes are split so dont need sliding on, but its getting to them thats more of a problem on this model.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by partsforvolvos.com View Post
    i have some of the same grease ipd put in their antiroll bar kits to sell seperately - its known to be ok for polyurethane.

as far as i know, these arb kits are not for sale anywhere else. they are easy to fit - the bushes are split so dont need sliding on, but its getting to them thats more of a problem on this model.
    Getting to them? Surely it's easier to take the ARB off the car?

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    By the way, here's the video I made this afternoon. Please forgive the lack of finesse with the editing, I've just literally glued the clips together and put some notes on the video and then uploaded it to my Youtube channel. As you can see the bearings are shot......

This user has no status

Thanks
    Do you not a stockist near you that only deal in bearings as they are often cheaper but of industrial quality?

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Do you not a stockist near you that only deal in bearings as they are often cheaper but of industrial quality?
    Unfortunatley not...

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    alos worth checking the drive shaft nuts. i agree with partsfor volvos. do it once do it right. thoses cheap bearing are terrible and have been known to rumble in under a year. skf is what id be looking for or volvo parts

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Can someone post the spec of these bearings? Outside dim, inside dim and width - I deal with skf!
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    omg James....you've just spent £1200 on suspension components and the garage has failed to notice the bearings!!! Or have I missed something?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 4th February 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Can someone post the spec of these bearings? Outside dim, inside dim and width - I deal with skf!
    there you go james. mrp will prob get you a pair for under £50. skf are to quality to.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    there you go james. mrp will prob get you a pair for under £50. skf are to quality to.
    Well if Martin can get some for that price then he can have some beer money on top too!

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    omg James....you've just spent £1200 on suspension components and the garage has failed to notice the bearings!!! Or have I missed something?
    3 garages non the less. ATS, National and the Indy that actually fitted the parts. ATS and National and no doubt Kwik Fit do these 'Free Safety Inspections' to cover their arses so if they say "your brakes are worn sir" and you do nothing about it, and then have a crash 3 miles down the road, they can turn around and say, "We told you so!".

Obviously for 3 garages to fail to spot worn wheel bearings is rather worrying, especially given they're the trained technicians and I'm probably one of the most mechanically inept men on the planet (well in practice anyway!).

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Found these using your Reg Martin:

FRONT

REAR

Not sure if that helps....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Tuesday 5th February 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    Found these using your Reg Martin:

FRONT

REAR

Not sure if that helps....
    I bet they're plod spec ones but I'm sure they'll fit any other P80 Phase 2 model....

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    An example of what is available for less than £50. It states its 'original equipment quality'.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810285040...=p5197.c0.m619

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    I think this is an SKF one for just under £50 posted, as it has an SKF part number on it.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V70-...item3f1682fa96

Thread Information