Join Today
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Plenty of independents are as good, if not better, than main dealers. My bmw place has people which, as soon as the warrenty/maintenence runs out, take their M5/M6s etc to him because they don't just go through a list and tick things off like most main dealers will, they'll actually go over the whole car themselves and look to makes sure everything is a1.
    I totally agree with you mate.

The same could not be said for Main dealers such as MRG and Lipscomb. I know, my car has been and does visit both.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post

Its amazing that the cars on this forum are generally loved, pampered, fastidiously serviced, etc, and we still all have problems and big bills. Yet you see 15 year old Volvos running around quite happily that have quite obviously not seen a service or any preventative maintenance for years and they just plod on from one day to the next.
    They know how to build a tough car, those Swedes
    I agree mate - but if you look closer then you will see they are a complete bag of s*ite and probably won't get through the next MOT without spending more than the car is worth.

I sincerely hope that i never let any car i own get in such a sorry state. When i do, make sure you rob me of the keys and burn my driving license and ensure I'm never allowed to drive a Volvo again -
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 4th February 2013 at 03:05.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Why feel you have to explain why you spend? Each to their own and all. (I'm also one of those people who has spent far more than the cars market value, it's a hobby though. Personally I've given up on resale value.....no point selling the car for what I'd get back.)
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

iancho (Monday 4th February 2013),Jamest5r (Monday 4th February 2013)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Why feel you have to explain why you spend? Each to their own and all. (I'm also one of those people who has spent far more than the cars market value, it's a hobby though. Personally I've given up on resale value.....no point selling the car for what I'd get back.)
    I don't feel like i need to explain, it's just obvious that some people don't understand. I just needed to make the point. I think i did that? SO everybody should be clear that it really doesn't matter. At the end of the day, if you own an R or are thinking of getting one, you must be prepared to spend a heck of a lot keeping them sweet. It goes with the territory. If you don't want to spend or feel you can't manage then clearly an R is not for you. That not to say one could buy one and then spend the bare minimum or have a sealing as to what they will spend. If you do that then be prepared for the cars maintenance to overtake you and the car will invertibly suffer. Meaning, when you come to resell it will not fetch nearly as much as you would like.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

iancho (Monday 4th February 2013),Jamest5r (Monday 4th February 2013),Santa (Monday 4th February 2013)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I don't think it's an unreliable car , I hope I'm over the hump now
    The hump is a mere dot in my rear view mate

Clueless about Cars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 747 Posts
    When i bought mine a few years ago i never dreamed i would have come this far with it or the money i would spend. Like Santa said its a hobby that we enjoy a guilty one at times maybe but i love mine more everyday and wouldn't be witout it

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    I don't think anyone on here is out to turn a profit on their car. We have all spent irrational amounts of money, and any non car person or an accountant would think us mad. Resale value is not really in any of our minds.
    As has been said, it is a hobby, if we did not love our cars we would not spend our hard earned on them. And we would only spend on something else if not our Volvo's.
    I for one am not going to think about the silly amounts I have spent any more. I am just going to enjoy my car and make it the envy of my friends and not let the wife see any invoices!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

iancho (Monday 4th February 2013)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    you see 15 year old Volvos running around quite happily that have quite obviously not seen a service or any preventative maintenance for years and they just plod on from one day to the next.
    They know how to build a tough car, those Swedes
    ah that'll be me, but i don't buy them with the intention of being concours examples. Bonny was bought to be a cheap economical daily driver & only time the bonnet gets opened generally is when i get a security check leaving work lol. Anything advisories on the MOT get sorted & normally uprated when i do change parts

i've got £13k of receipts for BT, but thats from 14years ownership
    Last edited by p fandango; Monday 4th February 2013 at 09:11.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

silverhorse (Monday 4th February 2013)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    ah that'll be me,
    If she ain't broke..................!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Monday 4th February 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I don't feel like i need to explain, it's just obvious that some people don't understand. I just needed to make the point. I think i did that? SO everybody should be clear that it really doesn't matter. At the end of the day, if you own an R or are thinking of getting one, you must be prepared to spend a heck of a lot keeping them sweet. It goes with the territory. If you don't want to spend or feel you can't manage then clearly an R is not for you. That not to say one could buy one and then spend the bare minimum or have a sealing as to what they will spend. If you do that then be prepared for the cars maintenance to overtake you and the car will invertibly suffer. Meaning, when you come to resell it will not fetch nearly as much as you would like.
    Lee;A few good posts there following on from the original poster whom i believe you have met and compared motors. I think you are both NUTS .

Did you need to change all those components that you mentioned or was it a case of just preventative measures.
    For example:Steering shaft--
    Alternator-Bonnet catch-Outer CV joints -Front top mounts-Inner track arms -
    Anti roll bar links and track rod ends etc.A lot of the other stuff are just running repairs.
    But like you inferred scrimp on maintenance is a nono which i agree with on any motor.Even more important if it's your bread and butter vehicle.
    You also mentioned your labour rates that you enjoy not everyone are in that lucky position.That is not a criticism therefore do not take it the wrong way.
    I doubt very much when the day comes to sell, your car will command much more in price it will only be easier to sell.A bit like putting a new kitchen in a house etc it wont make more money either as you need a kitchen unless you don't cook that is
    Last edited by Jimmie; Monday 4th February 2013 at 11:19.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmie For This Useful Post:

MisterC1501 (Monday 4th February 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Stick to your P1 then and you'll be ok
    I think you have made an excellent comparason there Lee. Both Series 1 and Series 2 V70R's cost when new in the region of £40k, but in the late 90's, £40K was worth more than the £40k in mid 2005, so you actually got more car for your money. Your car possibly cost £10k to buy, and now you have spent approaching £15k on it for it to be worth , what, say £8k tops??

Has anyone really spent £10k on maintenance on a Series 1.....and by that I mean essential maintenance, that is, jobs that need to be done, rather than changing things just for the sake of it

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I could spend just as much on the saffy if it was a daily driver and I only went to Volvo to get it fixed
    Mate, I ran my Saffy for 7 years as a daily driver with essentially routine maintenance, and it was in excellent condition when I sold it @ 158k.

As an owner of both Series 1 and 2 cars, you and Lee are possibly the best people who can compare the essential maintenance costs for both models. I think when you do this, you can objectively look at the results and the true cost will be revealed
    Last edited by MisterC1501; Monday 4th February 2013 at 18:54.

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Why feel you have to explain why you spend? Each to their own and all.
    I think by Lee itemising his costs for routine maintenance, this has actually highlighted how maintenance reliant these cars actually are.

Personally, I thank both Lee and Martyn for doing this, since although my heart longs for a Series 2, my bank account would need a defibrilator to keep the thing alive!!
    Last edited by MisterC1501; Monday 4th February 2013 at 18:55.

SOLD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterC1501 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Tuesday 5th February 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I can understand totally what Lee is saying, these cars need money spending on them to bring them right up to scratch, and as he says he is not expecting to spend anywhere near as much this year or indeed next year.
    I have done similar with my P1, it's now at a stage where I have her just right and she should not cost me much this year at all......I hope

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

22. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Tuesday 5th February 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    I can understand totally what Lee is saying, these cars need money spending on them to bring them right up to scratch, and as he says he is not expecting to spend anywhere near as much this year or indeed next year.
    £3.3K a year in maintenance, that's approx £275 a month before the car has travelled a single mile...........let's be realistic.

When will the essential maintenance ever end..................or will it

Have all the parts and component replacements been done to them wearing out or failing? Is Lee's car typical of EVERY Series 2 V70R or has he been unlucky?

Please note, I use Lee as an example and this is not about Lee, but the maintenance costs for one of these cars.

Above everything else, Lee and Martyn are enthusiasts and maintain their cars regardless of costs.........but lets be realistic, £10K is £10k whether for some it is loose change or the total lifes savings.......it's still alot of money.
    Last edited by MisterC1501; Monday 4th February 2013 at 20:20.

SOLD

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC1501 View Post
    £5K a year in maintenance, that's approx £415 a month before the car has travelled a single mile...........let's be realistic.

Have all the parts and component replacements been done to them wearing out or failing? Is Lee's car typical of EVERY Series 2 V70R or has he been unlucky?

Please note, I use Lee as an example and this is not about Lee, but the maintenance costs for one of these cars.

Above everything else, Lee and Martyn are enthusiasts and maintain their cars regardless of costs.........but lets be realistic, £10K is £10k whether for some it is loose change or the total lifes savings.......it's still alot of money.
    To be fair though some people will spend £10k on a skiing holiday (on the other hand though some people don't pick that up a year), its just spending money on a hobby.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Further to post #58, I think that people are forgetting the fact that a P2 R when new costs £40,000+ !!!

Just because 8 years later your car may not be worth 40K but the maintenance, parts and servicing are still going to be the same for that caliber of vehicle. I mean, you would not be naive to think that if you purchased a new Lambo/Ferrari/Maserati etc that the running costs would only be a couple of hundred a year....would you?? Come on guys!

If i bought a brand new Fiat punto or a crappy Hyundai Getz for less than £8k then its bloody obvious that the running costs will reflect the total cost of the car when new. I could buy 4 new calipers for a new Corsa for the same price as one on my R!
    Likewise, if i owned a super car costing 100k- 250k then its bloody obvious that when it comes to servicing and maintenance I'm not going to get much change out of £5000. If anyone thinks otherwise then they are delusional. It stands to reason that the more expensive the car then the more expensive the running costs.

Now, if i had broke down the £9815 i have spent on servicing/maintenance and actually listed the individual costs then i dare say that most peoples reaction would be more appreciative and understanding. However, just because Martyn and I have given a total...ppl's reaction is one of Shock/horror/Gasp!! what did you expect from a car that costs £42,000 brand new? Surely you didn't expect it to be in the same price range as maintaining a £6000 Fiat Punto?

Sod it, I'll list the maintenance parts then it will be clearer for ppl to understand: (Remember i get big discount on labour)

F/N/S Fog lamp - £54
    (Volvo fit) OE Alternator - £526
    (Volvo fit) Aux belt and Headlamp adjustment - £55
    4 x Dunlop Sport maxx RT tyres (fitted) - £604
    4 wheel alignment - £59
    Supply and fit DMF, Clutch kit, slave cylinder - £1386
    (Volvo fit) OE brake calipers x 2 + Brake pads + Dot 5.1 ATE Blue fluid - £968
    (Volvo fit) OE rear brake caliper - £489
    Terraclean - £84
    (Volvo fit) Steering shaft - £106
    Bonnet catch - £37
    Engine mount oe - £50
    (Volvo) SUM calibration and headlamp adjustment - £28
    Supply and fit inner track arms - £142
    Supply and fit anti roll bar links and track rod ends - £149
    (Volvo fit) FPS and WHIPS bracket - £358
    Supply and fit 4 x OE shocks, support plates and wheel balance - £1400
    Air Quality sensor - £162
    Air inlet - £49
    4 wheel alignment inc Subframe shift - £105
    Supply and fit Rear lower arm bushes - £160
    Steering control relay - £85
    Cup holder (center console) - £85
    SUM update and fix faulty software (2 days at Volvo) - £304
    (Volvo fit) Rear anti roll bar links - £138
    4 x Vredestein tyres + alignment - £420
    Supply and fit outer CV joints - £324
    Supply and fit front top mounts - £429.......................

I've not exhausted this list and not listed every nut, bolt, washer and trim clip, nor have i included actual costs of service items like oil and filters, plugs etc etc (which were inc in total costing)- but i think I have made my point. Haven't I?
    What i said was "Why do you have to "continue the trend"?? Is it just because your so anal about that type of stuff?" because it sounded as though you only got it serviced at a main dealer to "continue the trend". All you had to say was that the dealer you use is actually very good and they aren't that expensive either, but instead you go into a rant that drags on and on.

From reading threads like these and speaking to people who own M cars, it seems that the s60/v70r is the more expensive one to own. So your "what do you expect, it cost over 40k new" argument, doesn't hold up.........but its not the parts that are more expenive, its the fact that it seems to be a much more fragile car.

Now i'm sorry i couldn't produce a rant as impressive as yours but, as i don't get as worked up over these things as you do, i simply couldn't be bothered to carry on

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

MIKESC70T5 (Monday 4th February 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC1501 View Post
    £5K a year in maintenance, that's approx £415 a month before the car has travelled a single mile...........let's be realistic.

My R cost in excess £4000.00 last year to repair which i think is very reasonable from a main dealer. If they had charged for everything e.g. diagnostics it would have even been more.
    I do know that to keep any car or any road going vehicle in top condition it will cost you money which any experienced motorist should expect to pay imo.Even works vehicles cost money it's just that some people don't appreciate that fact!

Personaly speaking i would buy another R in a minute and that is after six years of ownership of this one.I have had volvo's for more years than i can count and not one has not cost money to maintain to a certain standard.
    Fitting inferior components or secondhand parts is usually a false economy but it happens then people complain that things don't last long.

The Kid and Lee are fanatics (maybe too strong a word)about there cars but at least they do not break them at the drop of a hat like some people.
    I don't know how long Lee has been into volvo's but the Kid has had a life time of that marque,poor soul.

Keep up the good work both of you.
    But you are both still NUTS.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    From reading threads like these and speaking to people who own M cars, it seems that the s60/v70r is the more expensive one to own.
    The people you spoke to must be very lucky because the beemer owners that i know and have spoken to say the beemer costs a fortune to maintain.
    That is the reason they have got rid off them.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    The people you spoke to must be very lucky because the beemer owners that i know and have spoken to say the beemer costs a fortune to maintain.
    That is the reason they have got rid off them.
    Really? I'm talking e36/e46 m3s and e39 M5s and alpinas and they seem to be a lot less fragile than the s60/v70r.

Obviously i'm not bringing e60 M5s and newer M cars into this as they are are in a different league to the s60/v70r.

Thread Information