Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    yeah you have to go through a menu on the stalk, just like your trip comp but its more fiddly than pushing the button on your dash
    to right it's a fiddle and if it's already active it doesn't seem to be disabled until it's inactive, which is a fiddle when you suddenly realize that you need to disable it in a hurry as the conditions dictate it will hinder you rather than help, suppose it's just one of those plan a head things that I'll get used to doing, can't she the Mrs's doing it until it stops though....oh no, then finds it diffcult to get going again...lol

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moleadrian View Post
    to right it's a fiddle and if it's already active it doesn't seem to be disabled until it's inactive
    What do you mean by that? I really should be getting to bed now lol
    Thanks
    Martyn

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    What do you mean by that? I really should be getting to bed now lol
    I meant that you can't switch it off if it's working, until it stops working. Good night, I must get off to, work tomorrow unfortunately

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Ah I see now, Yeah that is a pain
    Thanks
    Martyn

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    The point that I'm trying to make that in rural hilly locations dtsc is useless,.........

Reducing the dtsc level........

I doubt if Lee will ever experience this as I would think his beautiful V70R awd would be safely tucked away from any severe weather like this and who could blame him
    Firstly it's DSTC, not DTSC.

Secondly my car is parked outside come rain or shine. It's not wrapped in bubble wrap nor cotton wool. it's used as a daily runner and at weekends when i'm not working and i don't care if it's raining monsoon, snowing white out or 30+...my car is driven in all conditions and has been driven in deep snow.

pushing the button 5x doesn't totally disable it, I did it in the snow and it still kicked in.
    Pressing the button 5 times for 1 sec each depress Fully disables the Dynamic Stability program

Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Aaah but was that the DTSC or the ESP? The anti-skid control system doesn't get turned off and has the ability to cut the throttle if it things are really bad (IIRC)
    DSTC / ESP (Electronic Stability Program) are tantamount to the same thing. They are just called different things by Manufacturers.

Depending on whether you have DSTC or STC will depend on whether you can reduce or totally disable the system.

As you say Martin, as it appears in the handbook, that the spin (wheel-spin) control is the only one that can be lowered Active Yaw Control (stability) can't be switched off and would still be able to cut power and apply the brakes when it things it's needed to keep stability, I'll have a play with it on my way to work tomorrow, as I can't remember what was said on the dash as I attempted to turn the functions off and there's no snow to play in now, who would believe we could go from 6 inches to nothing in less than 24 hours
    Active Yaw Control minimizes under-steer and over-steer. This is all controlled by the ABS module and cannot be disabled unless you have an R model.
    To fully disable AYC you need to press the DSTC button 5 times, pressing on 1 sec and off 1 sec. 'DSTC REDUCED FUNCTION' will be displayed on the DIM display.
    In other models, inc R - pressing the STC/DSTC button once will fully disable Stability Control and partially disable the AYC.
    There is no such thing as 'spin control' and as I've said, AYC can be partially disabled in ALL cars that have the STC/DSTC button and in R models can be FULLY disabled.

If you push the button once, it says stability control reduced, or something like that, if pushed 5 times it tells you its off, mine was off but it still functioned to some extent.
    I suspect you were seeing the yellow triangle flashing in the middle of the DIM. This flashes when either the TC is working, AYC is working or SC (skid control) is working. It will illuminate all the time if there is a fault.
    Traction control cannot be disabled in any system whether you have DSTC or STC.
    AYC (Active Yaw Control) is functional in all systems, however, in the R models AYC is also controlled by the shock absorbers and activates sooner.

Terminology

TC - Traction Control - Transfers power from spinning wheel to wheel that is now spinning by braking the spinning wheel (cannot be disabled, ALL models)
    SC - Stability Control - prevents wheels spinning when accelerating (Recommended to disable when in deep snow
    AYC - Active Yaw Control - Stabilizes the car if it starts to skid by braking one or more wheels automatically (Cannot be disabled except R models)

In R models the DSTC is a lot more sophisticated and controls the following:

Dive and Lift control, Brake Grip control, Dynamic body control, Load dependent control, Bump and Rebound control, Wheel Hop control, Dynamic Cornering control, Active Yaw control, Advanced Sport control.

If anyone wants a breakdown of any of these functions and how they work then PM me and i will en devour to enlighten you.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 28th January 2013 at 14:28.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post

DSTC / ESP (Electronic Stability Program) are tantamount to the same thing. They are just called different things by Manufacturers.
    I was under the impression the DSTC (Dynamic Stability Traction Control), when turned off, showing the message "anti-spin control off" turned the anti - spin (traction control) off, allowing wheelspin but the ESP being an anti - skid system, which controls brake distribution and throttle was kept on as a means of preventing the car skidding under emergency conditions like simultaneous hard braking and cornering?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I was under the impression the DSTC (Dynamic Stability Traction Control), when turned off, showing the message "anti-spin control off" turned the anti - spin (traction control) off, allowing wheelspin but the ESP being an anti - skid system, which controls brake distribution and throttle was kept on as a means of preventing the car skidding under emergency conditions like simultaneous hard braking and cornering?
    Nope.

You cannot fully disable (turn off) the DSTC, unless you own an R model, therefore you are merely reducing its functionality when you press the DSTC button. Forget R models for a minute...when you press the DSTC button you will deactivate the SC (Stability Control) NOT THE TRACTION CONTROL and reduce the AYC. All other functions are not affected. With the R models its the same, the only difference is we (meaning R owners) can FULLY DISABLE the AYC and the SC. This does not affect the AYC that the shock absorbers control on the Four-C system....that is totally different.

Don't confuse anti Spin control and traction control, they are NOT the same thing.

I reiterate...you CANNOT disable the Traction control on ANY system, even on the R models, only the Stability Control.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 28th January 2013 at 15:01.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thanks
    So, DSTC on - I can't wheelspin on ice/slush/puddles as it cuts the throttle (much to my annoyance, as I was trying to show-off the nice turbo chatter inducing device I fitted) but when I turned the DSTC off I got wheelspin and as much as I wanted. That was the stability control? I thought "traction control" controlled traction? If you can't turn it off, what was going on?

If there's no such thing as spin control - why does my DIM say "Spin control off/on" when I press the DSTC button?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    So, DSTC on - I can't wheelspin on ice/slush/puddles as it cuts the throttle (much to my annoyance, as I was trying to show-off the nice turbo chatter inducing device I fitted) but when I turned the DSTC off I got wheelspin and as much as I wanted. That was the stability control? I thought "traction control" controlled traction? If you can't turn it off, what was going on?

If there's no such thing as spin control - why does my DIM say "Spin control off/on" when I press the DSTC button?
    "Spin control off/on" --- its just Volvo terminology. In my car it says "DSTC FUNCTION REDUCED".

Traction control transfers the motive power from a driving wheel that spins on the road surface to the drive wheel that does not spin by braking the wheel that starts to spin. You will hear a pulsing sound when it is working and is completely normal. It cannot be deactivated. If you were flooring it then the TC will not work and you will get wheel spin. If you do it again on low revs and gentle acceleration then the TC system will work (unless yours is faulty), however if it was faulty then the yellow triangle would be illuminated all the time.

Thanks
    Interesting - the vail of confusion is gradually lifting...

So it was the stability thingy that was cutting the throttle and because both front wheels were spinning at roughly the same speed, the TC didn't get involved.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

...here we go again...
    Thanks

So it was the stability thingy that was cutting the throttle and because both front wheels were spinning at roughly the same speed, the TC didn't get involved.
    precisely.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Monday 28th January 2013)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts

precisely.
    Not even close I'm afraid, the T/C monitors all 4 wheels so even if both your front wheels are spinning at the same speed, the y will be rotating faster than the rear wheels, and the T/C will step in and cut the power. This is why you have to turn T/C systems off on rolling roads, otherwise you won't get much of a power reading. I think what is happening when you press the button, the T/C is turned off, but the stability control is still on, so you'll still struggle to get, say, lift off oversteer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Not even close I'm afraid, the T/C monitors all 4 wheels so even if both your front wheels are spinning at the same speed, the y will be rotating faster than the rear wheels, and the T/C will step in and cut the power. This is why you have to turn T/C systems off on rolling roads, otherwise you won't get much of a power reading. I think what is happening when you press the button, the T/C is turned off, but the stability control is still on, so you'll still struggle to get, say, lift off oversteer.
    The stibility control has the ability to cut the throttle/power awd would work differently but on my fwd, the stability control would see the different hub speeds and read it as a skid, albeit a weird one and cut the power.

It took me a while to click onto what Lee was saying but I get it now. This is why AMGs burn their rear brakes out when the driver aids are turned - off. The TC is constantly stabbing away at the rear brakes, trying to get them to turn at the same speed as the front wheels.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

will it never end?
    Thanks
    But if your T/C was still on it wouldn't let the front wheels spin quicker than the rears, and you wouldn't be able to put it on a rolling road. As for Mercs, you can never fully turn off the driver aids.

Thanks
    But if your T/C was still on it wouldn't let the front wheels spin quicker than the rears, and you wouldn't be able to put it on a rolling road. As for Mercs, you can never fully turn off the driver aids.
    The driver aid that doesn't turn off on the merc is the TC.
    It's the stability that needs to be turned off on the rollers - on a fwd, the TC will only react if one of the driven wheels is moving faster than the other, it's the stability control that measures the speed of all four. You can run on the rollers with a fwd P2 and the yellow (don't drive like a prat) light will be going nuts, hence turning it off. Put an awd on the rollers and all the wheels will be going at the same speed anyway.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Read page 19 of your drivers hand book, under heading Traction Control, TC. The last sentence clearly says....(and i quote)....It cannot be deactivated.

The only part of the DSTC that can is the Stability Control and (R models ONLY) AYC.
    AYC (Active Yaw Control) is reduced in ALL models and can be switched OFF in R Models.
    AYC Cannot, i repeat cannot be turned off in non R models only reduced.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 28th January 2013 at 16:48.

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Read page 19 of your drivers hand book, under heading Traction Control, TC. The last sentence clearly says....(and i quote)....It cannot be deactivated.
    Our's doesn't, we've got an R

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    The driver aid that doesn't turn off on the merc is the TC.
    It's the stability that needs to be turned off on the rollers - on a fwd, the TC will only react if one of the driven wheels is moving faster than the other, it's the stability control that measures the speed of all four. You can run on the rollers with a fwd P2 and the yellow (don't drive like a prat) light will be going nuts, hence turning it off. Put an awd on the rollers and all the wheels will be going at the same speed anyway.
    Hallelujah!!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Our's doesn't, we've got an R
    What do you mean, it doesn't? what doesn't?

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks

Secondly my car is parked outside come rain or shine. It's not wrapped in bubble wrap nor cotton wool. it's used as a daily runner and at weekends when i'm not working and i don't care if it's raining monsoon, snowing white out or 30+...my car is driven in all conditions and has been driven in deep snow.

Pressing the button 5 times for 1 sec each depress Fully disables the Dynamic Stability program

Depending on whether you have DSTC or STC will depend on whether you can reduce or totally disable the system.

Active Yaw Control minimizes under-steer and over-steer. This is all controlled by the ABS module and cannot be disabled unless you have an R model.
    To fully disable AYC you need to press the DSTC button 5 times, pressing on 1 sec and off 1 sec. 'DSTC REDUCED FUNCTION' will be displayed on the DIM display.
    In other models, inc R - pressing the STC/DSTC button once will fully disable Stability Control and partially disable the AYC.
    There is no such thing as 'spin control' and as I've said, AYC can be partially disabled in ALL cars that have the STC/DSTC button and in R models can be FULLY disabled.

I suspect you were seeing the yellow triangle flashing in the middle of the DIM. This flashes when either the TC is working, AYC is working or SC (skid control) is working. It will illuminate all the time if there is a fault.
    Traction control cannot be disabled in any system whether you have DSTC or STC.
    AYC (Active Yaw Control) is functional in all systems, however, in the R models AYC is also controlled by the shock absorbers and activates sooner.

Terminology

TC - Traction Control - Transfers power from spinning wheel to wheel that is now spinning by braking the spinning wheel (cannot be disabled, ALL models)
    SC - Stability Control - prevents wheels spinning when accelerating (Recommended to disable when in deep snow
    AYC - Active Yaw Control - Stabilizes the car if it starts to skid by braking one or more wheels automatically (Cannot be disabled except R models)

In R models the DSTC is a lot more sophisticated and controls the following:

Dive and Lift control, Brake Grip control, Dynamic body control, Load dependent control, Bump and Rebound control, Wheel Hop control, Dynamic Cornering control, Active Yaw control, Advanced Sport control.

If anyone wants a breakdown of any of these functions and how they work then PM me and i will en devour to enlighten you.

Thank you for clearing this up for us, I see what your saying and I apologize for making it sound that your car is bubble wrapped, but the last time I saw it, it looked that amazing I would never think that it lives outside rain or shine and driven in all weathers, well done to you for keeping it in such great condition

Thread Information