Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks

Going for map, anything else.....?

Will shortly be looking to get a remap done (2005 V70 T5).
    What I don't want is to have it done and then lots of bits start to break under the additional stresses. Should I be strengthening anything else ie. driveshafts, clutch, heat exchangers, etc? Or is the old girl fairly strong as is?
    I will not be thrashing her much at all, just very occasionally when a §§§§ of an Audi A3 driver thinks he has the legs! It's nice to have the option of being untouchable every now and then.
    I get the impression from here that HLM is the man for the job. RICA not so good?? I have a RICA agent just round the corner and HLM is a trek.
    Cheers guys
    Last edited by silverhorse; Thursday 10th January 2013 at 21:17.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Can't remember the name of the maps that HLM do for your car, but its supposed to be very good.
    If its the 2.4 in yours, then 320bhp is supposed to be possible and its a strong engine, which if its been looked after, should cope with a remap fine.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Yeah, 2.4 in mine. Done 108k miles and indie said all looked good when he did cambelt recently.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Do a good service before, make sure the pcv is clear, make sure all the vac pipes are all good, possibly worth changing the tcv but otherwise, these engines have been the pride of Volvo for a good reason mate, bombproof. The Hlm map is 300 quid but the Rica is about 500 iirc.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Do a good service before, make sure the pcv is clear, make sure all the vac pipes are all good, possibly worth changing the tcv but otherwise, these engines have been the pride of Volvo for a good reason mate, bombproof. The Hlm map is 300 quid but the Rica is about 500 iirc.
    Glossary please Martin!!!
    PCV?
    TCV?
    Are the two maps similar in characteristics? I would like smooth power not 'nothing and then everything'. Looked at RICA, they are a bit pricey aren't they.

Thanks
    Pcv... Positive crankcase ventilation - if it blocks, it can bust the crank seal (rms-rear main seal) and lots of oil will fall on the floor, costing you as much in labor as a clutch change.
    To check the pcv, go for a drive for half an hour, pull over and with the engine running, pull the dipstick out. If you see puffs of white smoke, the pcv needs sorting. There can be an easy fix sometimes.

Tcv... Turbo control valve - the ecu's method of controlling the turbo, can get tired but won't fail completely.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

silverhorse (Thursday 10th January 2013)

Thanks
    The autotec map from Hlm is supposed to be more aggressive and produce more power than the Rica but Rica is supposed to return better economy. I believe we adapt to the way the car runs, same as when you first get a car like a t5, you learn to control it better after a while.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks

Tcv... Turbo control valve - the ecu's method of controlling the turbo, can get tired but won't fail completely.
    I'm sure Iv'e seen posts about this part before on here. Is it one of those things that should be replaced at some point, even though they are supposed to be 'life of car parts'? I remember changing tranny oil on my old 5 series and she was transformed. The book said it was a sealed unit and no need to touch!

The autotec map from Hlm is supposed to be more aggressive and produce more power than the Rica but Rica is supposed to return better economy. I believe we adapt to the way the car runs, same as when you first get a car like a t5, you learn to control it better after a while.
    TBH I am more interested in torque than outright power. I will have to do some research. If I have a map that is too aggressive, the wife will put the car in a field

Just gone on HLM website. Ps and Nm!!!??? I need it in old money
    Last edited by silverhorse; Thursday 10th January 2013 at 22:46.

Thanks
    The tcv can make a big difference, depending on how bad it is in he first place. I have an mbc between my tcv and the actuator for a bit more oomph.

There's converters on the internet to help you work out which offers more power/torque. The posted figures can be subjective and depend the car.
    The way the power is delivered is also important. I think Hlm will let you try a couple of versions of the autotec map on the rollers, to help you get what you want.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    I have an mbc between my tcv and the actuator for a bit more oomph.
    MBC - Manual boost controller?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    MBC - Manual boost controller?
    Haha! Ya learning

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

silverhorse (Thursday 10th January 2013)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Haha! Ya learning
    Lol. Blo0dy hell, there's lots to learn!!

Am I right in thinking that the TCV is a little electronic box of tricks that in turn controls the actuator, which is basically what enables the turbo to spool up? And the solenoids in the actuator get a bit weak and do not allow the actuator to operate at 100%? Is the actuator a part to be replaced as well?

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    I'm getting a mte map on mine next week..can't wait.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Thanks
    Lol. Blo0dy hell, there's lots to learn!!

Am I right in thinking that the TCV is a little electronic box of tricks that in turn controls the actuator, which is basically what enables the turbo to spool up? And the solenoids in the actuator get a bit weak and do not allow the actuator to operate at 100%? Is the actuator a part to be replaced as well?
    The solenoid is a little black or grey box with an electrical connection and 3 5mm vac pipes coming off it. One is the feed from the turbo, one goes, as you say, to the actuator and the other is a return to the inlet pipe, between the turbo and maf. It controlls the amount of boost from the turbo by opening and closing the wastegate.
    When they get tired they can leak and/or not operate as well/quickly as they should, having varying degrees of effect on the performance on the car.
    The actuator should be fine but grab the rod and try to pull it out of the piston (towards the o/s wheel arch) - there shouldn't be any slack. Don't be worried if you can't move it, it's supposed to be quite strong.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your help Martin. With regards to the remap, I will have to look in to who is near(ish) me and has a good reputation. HLM still seems to be the favourite on here.
    I think I will replace the TCV as a matter of course, as I doubt it has been done in its 108k miles yet.
    Been looking on web and can only find one on PFV for about £100, and some others from America. Surely other people sell them? Is the standard Volvo one a decent enough job? Don't suppose they will be particularly cheap though!
    Also, I should be replacing the 3 pipes as well maybe?

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I'm getting a mte map on mine next week..can't wait.
    Oooohh nice!! What are you hoping to achieve, and what sort of money are you spending?
    are you taking it somewhere near you?

Thanks
    Thanks for all your help Martin. With regards to the remap, I will have to look in to who is near(ish) me and has a good reputation. HLM still seems to be the favourite on here.
    I think I will replace the TCV as a matter of course, as I doubt it has been done in its 108k miles yet.
    Been looking on web and can only find one on PFV for about £100, and some others from America. Surely other people sell them? Is the standard Volvo one a decent enough job? Don't suppose they will be particularly cheap though!
    Also, I should be replacing the 3 pipes as well maybe?
    IPD do a tcv but it's not as good as the OE one. You could replace the 3 pipes but personally I wouldn't bother unless they were looking dry/cracked/brittle.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

silverhorse (Friday 11th January 2013)

looking to get MTE Map
    Thanks
    Having read on quite a number of the forums I gather MTE is the best remap, Kalamar Union do them. I did quite a bit of reasearch on it last year as I was thinking of having mine remapped.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Can't remember the figures exactly but it is £390 for it and he sends you the unit to take a read out of your car, you send it back to him then he sends it to mte Sweden who will give you the reap of the car to install, I'm having it done when it's in MRG
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The HLM map looks like 276bhp where as the Rica says its map is 310bhp am i missing something?

(sorry those figures are for my C70 but the same question.)

Tony.
    Last edited by jotter22; Friday 25th January 2013 at 08:41. Reason: Added info

Thread Information