Join Today
    Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts

S60 Geartronic Software Updates

I took my 2004 S60 D5 into Volvo this afternoon for the software updates to the Geartronic gearbox.

Waited in the showroom at Doves Volvo in Preston for approx 1 hour for the updates to be performed, they've updated the Geartronic to the latest software & reset all the parameters including the adaptive learning. Having flushed the transmission oil a week ago, I also asked them to reset the counter on the gearbox. ETM has also received an update.

The cost for the software updates was £85.00 + vat.

Was it worth it...?

The car does pick up noticeably quicker from a standstill although this is probably due to the adaptive learning being reset and perhaps holding onto the gears longer. The responsiveness of the gearbox is better & the kick down is performed quicker than before. Even after the 20 mile return journey home, the car does feel quicker.

Placebo effect?? maybe, but I'm pleased it's been done. Just feel that these updates should be performed FOC.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    If you take your car in to volvo for service they will update the software as part of the service and you get a years free Breakdown cover as well.
    I will have a look at what volvo charged me for my gearbox update when I get home.
    The counter just logs the number of times the oil has gone above a set Temperature and then might ask for a "GEAR BOX SERVICE REQUIRED" On the dash.
    Last edited by Harvey; Wednesday 23rd January 2013 at 18:57.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    I was advised that some of the updates are free of charge, but others incur a charge.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Just got invoice out

Parts came to £94
    2 oil at £37.80 Each = £75.60
    1 TCM software upgrade = £14.20
    1 Dipstick = £ 3.35. The one in the car was broken off !.
    Gasket ( alu washer ). = £ 1.05
    Labour = £65.00
    Vat = £31.84
    Total =£191.04

Not to bad at all I think I got a good deal looking at the update price.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Spoke to my local dealer today about this and he said this work would automatically be done on a service and not charged. the only time this might be charged would be if a problem occured with nuetral part of the gear box not working properly. Just to have this done as a course would be a waste of money as the difference would hardly be noticed if at all ,. whether he is right or wrong I would not want to comment as a newbie to Volvos but so far his knowlege to me is good and saved me £85 plus vat for my boot spoiler .

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by welderone View Post
    Spoke to my local dealer today about this and he said this work would automatically be done on a service and not charged. the only time this might be charged would be if a problem occured with nuetral part of the gear box not working properly. Just to have this done as a course would be a waste of money as the difference would hardly be noticed if at all ,. whether he is right or wrong I would not want to comment as a newbie to Volvos but so far his knowlege to me is good and saved me £85 plus vat for my boot spoiler .
    Volvo don't do a auto gearbox oil change as part of any service,only if asked to do so,just trying to keep costs down for the first 3 years if it's a lease car or the likes.
    As I said the software is updated at a service with a main dealer,but they can put in a program mode to learn the change points.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well as I said Iam a newbie on here and willing to learn from you Volvo experts . Peter

Thread Information