Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a poo day

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts

Unhappy What a poo day

So as many of you know I've been down at mrg getting my car fixed this week. Today was the day we were due to head home, yesterday I noticed a very slight what sounded like a high pitched whistle when driving at different speeds , when I say slight I mean if you didn't know the car you wouldn't notice it, anyway I thought I would tell mrg and they had a very quick look at it this morning as we where wanting to hit the road and get home , so they put the car on the lift and drove all four wheels , we heard nothing so I thought okay that's fine its nothing dangerous lets get going....... 40 miles up the road I hear what can only be described as a blunt drill , drilling stainless. I have heard this once before a few months ago but thought it must have been a stone in my calliper. It disappeared within a minute but I knew it wasn't good, I didn't know what to do so I called mrg, obviously it was hard to diagnose over the phone so they told me to go check my backing plates on my disks, I did this and they where fine so I drove off. Five minutes later it did it again , I went quite and didn't speak , Adrienne said go back to mrg just to be on the safe side, so we did. I got back and James the master tech was waiting outside for me, these guys are honestly the best I have met. So we went for a drive knowing that no way I will get that loud noise again , luckily he did hear that back ground whistle, so we found out it could be heard best at 48 and 70mph. By this time we had another tech in the back listening we where fairly stumped and actually thought it was something to do with my air box ....... Boy where we wrong, we took the car back onto the scissor lift and drove it at 48, guess what the loud noice was reproduced and guess where it was coming from.......... The ANGLE GEAR. Absolutely gutted they took a sample of oil from it and sure enough it had shrapnel in it. They have never seen one go like this , when they go it is usually instant BUT this could be because they haven't noticed the noise I noticed. Anyway we are back in a hotel, praying that the snow doesn't hold up the new gear coming. This has turned out to be a very expensive week.
    Thanks
    Martyn

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    crap luck mate

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Not good then Martyn.
    On the upside, Sundays softies meet is only about 60 miles from you, if you get bored?

Hope you get sorted soon mate.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Not good then Martyn.
    On the upside, Sundays softies meet is only about 60 miles from you, if you get bored?

Hope you get sorted soon mate.
    I'd love too Martin but I think If I was to go to that I would get a boot up my hole. She has been very supportive this week I think that may tip her to far
    Thanks
    Martyn

5. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Friday 18th January 2013)

Dare to be Different
    vinny is getting a
    revamp....be back soon
    Thanks
    bad luck fella.....................but look on the bright side .............if you didn't go back you may be sitting on the side of the road with a broken volvo now
    "dare to be different"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That's what everyone is telling me. I'm glad I did now.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Another example here of how expensive these P2 cars are when everything goes tits up. I hope you get it fixed.......

Regards

James

This user has no status
    Thanks
    They are expensive but when running A1 I don't feel any other Volvo can match them. Saying that I'm sure mrg told me today they only seen 3 angle gear failures
    Thanks
    Martyn

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Bad luck mate, do what we all do at times like this.....remind yourself how much the car means to you and how you'll feel when she's all sorted, keep us posted.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

11. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Friday 18th January 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Bad luck mate, do what we all do at times like this.....remind yourself how much the car means to you and how you'll feel when she's all sorted, keep us posted.
    If I'm honest with you the car has never run 100% since I have owned it with this running issue I had lol, hopefully this will be the end of it. I'm still hunting on a way to improve my radio signal, , mrg found nothing wrong with it but I really needed it today and it struggled to pick up anything. So that's my next head scratch but will be left on the back burner for quite sometime after this week lol
    Thanks
    Martyn

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    On the bright side at least the V70R will be in tip top condition for your return North.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    You put on the wrong title ,it should have read that "THAT POO VOLVOS AGAIN".!!!

Did they check your rear aerial connection behind the bumper for a radio signal?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    On the bright side at least the V70R will be in tip top condition for your return North.
    Exactly Dave and I'm glad I spotted it because if I took it home and asked a garage to check out that sound they wouldn't have found anything wrong until one day that it failed. I'm just gutted I have nothing that comes close to mrg beside me, they even filled two new Volvo thermos's with tea and a Volvo water bottle for our journey home. Honestly as expensive as its been they have bent over backwards for me and helped with the bill as much as possible. If I went to Arnold Clark my bill would have been double and I'm not joking. I can't rate these guys highly enough.
    Thanks
    Martyn

16. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

Jimmie (Friday 18th January 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    You put on the wrong title ,it should have read that "THAT POO VOLVOS AGAIN".!!!

Did they check your rear aerial connection behind the bumper for a radio signal?
    Yeah jimmy they did check that . I didn't push the matter too much as my main issue was the running issue tbh.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    how did you get on with the running issue. its bad luck that its went wrong but at least its in good hands.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Your not going to beleave this, all it was, was a dirty throttle bodie, if Perth had followed procedure it clearly states In Vida to check it! I also fitted another new maf and a new fuel pressure valve just to be sure, so your one is in a box in my boot, will get you that back ASAP thank you . My live air feed reading is still low compared to lee's car they can't explain that but we have read my fault codes every day this week and I have done almost 200 miles in it down here so we are as sure as can be that, that's it cured.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Sorry to hear this but the good point is that u didn`t brake down in this cold and u 2 well,money come and go,chin up,get it done and just think how lucky u r and how bad things could`ve been.Hipoe it works out well for u mate.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsford G View Post
    Sorry to hear this but the good point is that u didn`t brake down in this cold and u could have 2 well,money come and go,chin up,get it done and just think how lucky u r and how bad things could`ve been.Hipoe it works out well for u mate.
    Exactly we could have broken down in a blizzard with our baby in the car.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    Your not going to beleave this, all it was, was a dirty throttle bodie, if Perth had followed procedure it clearly states In Vida to check it! I also fitted another new maf and a new fuel pressure valve just to be sure, so your one is in a box in my boot, will get you that back ASAP thank you . My live air feed reading is still low compared to lee's car they can't explain that but we have read my fault codes every day this week and I have done almost 200 miles in it down here so we are as sure as can be that, that's it cured.
    it made a huge difference to mine when i cleaned. just keep a hold of the sensor and if any one needs it just pass it on. it might help some one else out. its no use to me. it take up space i havnt got in my toolbox

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Okay Graeme thank you , if you know of anyone in the future , pass my details on. It's in a brand new ford box lol
    Thanks
    Martyn

Thread Information