Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Driving an Auto T5 in the slush.

Hello all,

had my Auto 2001 V70 T5 9 months now, and have gotten pretty used to it, and although I do not 'like' the auto, it is useful on motorways etc etc.

My previous vehicles have mostly been FWD, ie Citroen BX16v, Renault Clio 1.6, Nissan Primera 1.8 Estate.

I've never had any issues driving these manual cars in the snow, and in fact have had rather a lot of fun with them, even though two of them were low powered.

Had to go out in the Ovlov late this afternoon, and up a fairly modest hill, merhaps 8% at it's steepest, and I was being as gentle as I could with the throttle (Maybe too gentle?) but the problem I found was that the traction control was cutting in frequently, so I was unable to go any quicker, or should I have applied more gas and let the traction control help me out?
    Certainly not used to driving like that, used to driving it by feel and using the accelerator and clutch etc.

So anyway, crawling up this hill started at 20mp, and gradually we came down to 10mph ( ! ), and we get to a point where she does not want to go anymore - I pull over, slide to the side, as focuses, and normal cars go past without bother, and engage the winter mode, I forget the TLA, but it's the button by the gear selector, anyway, tried that, and could nto get going remotely up the hill, just span the wheels and went nowhere, other than more towards the curb.

Finally had to give it up as a bd job, wait for a gap in the fairly sparse traffic, and reverse down the hill until i could turn around and head to my detination via a gritted dual carriageway.

Now I recall having 'some issues' in the Nissan up that hill in simialr conditions, but nothing close to not being able to make it up there, and the fact other cars were breezing past makes me think I was doing something wrong.

I run the tyres at 35psi on each corner, and of course as they are big wide §§§§§§s, do these float over the sluch more than the narrower tyres that would have been on the Nissan?

I was a little perplexed I have to admit, as I thought 'Big Swedish car, this will be a breeze' - I was wrong!

Comments, critique please if you will!

Cheers

Dan

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Select as high a gear as possible and reduce the dtc
    Thanks
    Martyn

Dare to be Different
    vinny is getting a
    revamp....be back soon
    Thanks
    never had a problem with mine..................just select winter mode and away you go.................even steep hills near me have never been a problem..........last snowfall i even had neighbours asking for lifts as their cars were stuck but "your bl##dy volvo" keeps driving past.............
    "dare to be different"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5steve For This Useful Post:

Kingsford G (Friday 18th January 2013),LiamT4 (Friday 18th January 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    switch off DTC and press the W button by Gear lever, it will bring a orange arrow on dash, telling you it sin winter mode

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
    Hello all,

had my Auto 2001 V70 T5 9 months now, and have gotten pretty used to it, and although I do not 'like' the auto, it is useful on motorways etc etc.

My previous vehicles have mostly been FWD, ie Citroen BX16v, Renault Clio 1.6, Nissan Primera 1.8 Estate.

I've never had any issues driving these manual cars in the snow, and in fact have had rather a lot of fun with them, even though two of them were low powered.

Had to go out in the Ovlov late this afternoon, and up a fairly modest hill, merhaps 8% at it's steepest, and I was being as gentle as I could with the throttle (Maybe too gentle?) but the problem I found was that the traction control was cutting in frequently, so I was unable to go any quicker, or should I have applied more gas and let the traction control help me out?
    Certainly not used to driving like that, used to driving it by feel and using the accelerator and clutch etc.

So anyway, crawling up this hill started at 20mp, and gradually we came down to 10mph ( ! ), and we get to a point where she does not want to go anymore - I pull over, slide to the side, as focuses, and normal cars go past without bother, and engage the winter mode, I forget the TLA, but it's the button by the gear selector, anyway, tried that, and could nto get going remotely up the hill, just span the wheels and went nowhere, other than more towards the curb.

Finally had to give it up as a bd job, wait for a gap in the fairly sparse traffic, and reverse down the hill until i could turn around and head to my detination via a gritted dual carriageway.

Now I recall having 'some issues' in the Nissan up that hill in simialr conditions, but nothing close to not being able to make it up there, and the fact other cars were breezing past makes me think I was doing something wrong.

I run the tyres at 35psi on each corner, and of course as they are big wide §§§§§§s, do these float over the sluch more than the narrower tyres that would have been on the Nissan?

I was a little perplexed I have to admit, as I thought 'Big Swedish car, this will be a breeze' - I was wrong!

Comments, critique please if you will!

Cheers

Dan
    Well I drive a manual T5 and mine was spinning alot today too. I also thought that the weight distribution on Volvos was optimised for icy cold weather and snow but obviously I was wrong.

I think this is why a lot of people fit winter tyres to their cars and then they'll travel around much easier. The V70R will be miles better in the snow, especially with winter tyres on as it's AWD, and an XC70 just as good if not better.

As volvokid says, keep in as high a gear as you can (run it in manual mode if possible), and keep the throttle as steady as you can. If you ram your foot down the wheels will just spin more, although a lot of the time you have little choice but to spin the wheels to create some heat and traction.

Coming down hill, use a low gear to give you more braking control with the engine and avoid heavy braking.

Regards

James

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    When it comes to traction in the snow, autos are the best as the can pull away from standstill at idle speed (even when the brakes are applied). Arctic trucks, who do all the 4x4s for topgear when they go to the arctic/greenland, use autos for this reason.

If you are having issues, then i would suggest checking the tread depth of your tyres. It could also be your tyre make/type (summer tyres maybe) and the width.

If i am stuck i find it best to turn the traction control off.

Both my auto volvos were immense in the snow, i rarely ever used the Women button ;-)
    Last edited by LiamT4; Friday 18th January 2013 at 20:17.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

Vmaxx (Saturday 8th June 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As much as awd helps its not that great I just had to blip the throttle today and I would spin, it's the tyres that are important, my pzeros will never match a fwd car running good winter tyres. Defo turn off your traction control , I reduced mine today, it not designed for snow in that way.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    As much as awd helps its not that great I just had to blip the throttle today and I would spin, it's the tyres that are important, my pzeros will never match a fwd car running good winter tyres. Defo turn off your traction control , I reduced mine today, it not designed for snow in that way.
    I agree on both points. When driving in the snow today i had the tc on when moving to keep the power down, so the back end wouldn't drift, but when i did get stuck, turning off the tc was the best way to get moving again.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It just depends how it works too every car is different , with mine it will brake each wheel independently and that can actually be a pain in the snow because it can throw you about. I did notice today if I turn it fully off by pushing the button 5 times it will still flash the skid light , so it's still on to a certain extend no matter what on mine.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    buy winter tyres
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5steve View Post
    never had a problem with mine..................just select winter mode and away you go.................even steep hills near me have never been a problem..........last snowfall i even had neighbours asking for lifts as their cars were stuck but "your bl##dy volvo" keeps driving past.............
    +1 on this one and get some winter tyres as Dave said.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Personally for me winter tyres aren't worth it. Living in a city its just not worth the expense for the 1 or 2 days a year when it snows.

Snow socks are a cheap alternative for when you do get stuck.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Personally for me winter tyres aren't worth it. Living in a city its just not worth the expense for the 1 or 2 days a year when it snows.

Snow socks are a cheap alternative for when you do get stuck.
    It does depend on your situation but I do believe everybody should take some sort of precaution for the snow. I actually think snow tyres should be mandatory for a set number of months of the year. You have no real control in the snow without them. Once I'm home I won't be out in the R until it clears.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    It does depend on your situation but I do believe everybody should take some sort of precaution for the snow. I actually think snow tyres should be mandatory for a set number of months of the year. You have no real control in the snow without them. Once I'm home I won't be out in the R until it clears.
    I think you're right but they're £140 a tyre for the 225/45/R17's! That's £560 to put tyres on your car....

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Ok, you can give me the money for 4 winter tyres so i can use them from december to march, just so when it does snow for one day i have more grip

The avons i had on my s70 dealt with 15cm of snow last year no problem.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    I think you're right but they're £140 a tyre for the 225/45/R17's! That's £560 to put tyres on your car....
    I know it's a big expense but if you use them wisely they would last for years, and much more cheaper than loosing it and hitting something . Have you driven with a proper set before? The only danger with them would be that people would get to confident with them and when it does go wrong it will be at a higher speed.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Winter tyres aren't just for snow, if you read the advice it states they provide optimum grip in temperatures below 7C as below this temperature, standard tyres become less flexible and therefore are less effective. Therefore Winter Tyres are ideal between about November and March, even April.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Good road tyres simply don't cut it on snow. I found that today. I ended-up turning all dstc off and lighting up the front wheels at 3000rpm in 1st to burn through to the tarmac. This made a lot of noise and was quite fun at 5:45 this morning lol.

I experemented on the flatter quiet roads, to see how the dstc reacted to different inputs (changing direction quickly while braking, prodding the throttle etc) I got a lot of flashing lights, loads of intervention on the throttle but what stood out was the skid control, very reassuring.

It's a manual BTW.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Winter tyres aren't just for snow, if you read the advice it states they provide optimum grip in temperatures below 7C as below this temperature, standard tyres become less flexible and therefore are less effective. Therefore Winter Tyres are ideal between about November and March, even April.
    or you could just slow down a bit and leave more room from the car in front.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Ok, you can give me the money for 4 winter tyres so i can use them from december to march, just so when it does snow for one day i have more grip

The avons i had on my s70 dealt with 15cm of snow last year no problem.
    Trust me I couldn't afford it either, but if it was law you would'nt think twice about it, I know I'm one too speak just now because I don't have winters on the R but realistically It almost like dangerous driving out there without them, you can't really get out the way of something if you really need to, you have to sometimes sit back and let the car do its own thing until there is grip again . Poke it I would make it law so no one can drive if there is a hint of snow haha
    Thanks
    Martyn

Thread Information