Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Next year, I'm putting winter tyres on the front although there's nothing stopping me doing that anyway in the Summer, they'll probably be cheaper then too as the demand is lower.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    I've had cheap tyres previously, and they do seem to last along time, but this is down the the fact they're a hard compound rubber, which also explains why the grip levels are low, especially in the wet.
    You pays your money and takes your choice, I went for Avon ZV5's when I got the Comets, must say, grip is good, they are quiet and very good in the wet, only time will tell how long they will last though.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Next year, I'm putting winter tyres on the front
    Ha! I was just going to start a thread on that!!

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Gave the car a good run tonight and I have to say that it's 10x better and actually on the main roads the steering was spot on, the wheel alignment now means the steering wheel is dead centre and the whole car just feels solid again.... mostly.......

There is some rattles coming from underneath, I suspect these are the anti roll bushes so I'll need to get these checked out and no doubt this issue was no doubt previously masked by all the other bad suspension issues. The other thing is my brakes are now squeaking, mainly when I turn the wheel but also when I pull up at times. I wonder if this is normal for new brakes (they're budgets), but also it could perhaps be a stone or bit of grit stuck between the disc and the brake pads as the gap between them will be much less when they're new.

Anyway, overall a massive improvement and I recommend the lowering kit from PFV.

Regards

James

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

partsforvolvos.com (Monday 21st January 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    copper grease one the rear of the pads will help. new or old they shouldndt squeak. glad to hear you noticed a difference though. dont forget to pm me postcode

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Gave the car a good run tonight and I have to say that it's 10x better and actually on the main roads the steering was spot on, the wheel alignment now means the steering wheel is dead centre and the whole car just feels solid again.... mostly.......
    Told us so.With winter tyres get all 4 `cos the tail gonna skid,I know that by my own experience and fitted 2 in the back and was great.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    As Graeme says copper grease should stop the squeaking.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    What's this I'm reading? 250bhp 150mph+ running budget tyres and budget brakes....nutters lol.

Seriously though, I know it's all down to budget - that's why I'm chuggin' a D5 & not a T5 - but when it comes to tyres and brakes, fit the BEST you can afford. The difference between budget brakes and decent brakes is just a few extra £ - it just doesn't seem worth it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

stribo (Monday 21st January 2013)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    the difference between budget 305s and Brembo 305s is about 40 quid from GSF but pads don't vary much.

I just bit the bullet and bought some goodrich brake lines. My brembo fronts were £86, pads were £40.

Tyres also make a good difference too.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    I'm glad you are very pleased with the kit James.

I've had very positive feedback on it so far and everybody agrees it's excellent value for the money.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    think ill soon be investing in this kit. not sure if ill use the springs as ive already got eibach but my shocks arent the best on the front

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    think ill soon be investing in this kit. not sure if ill use the springs as ive already got eibach but my shocks arent the best on the front
    The car feels much more solid and I'd advise replacing the mounts as well!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    my mounts are terrible. i can hear them knocking if i rock the stearing on the spot. at same time ill be sorting droplinks and wishbone bush. that should sharpen things up a bit.

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Are you still happy with the suspention kit James,any changes since fitting or still nice and solid?

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsford G View Post
    Are you still happy with the suspention kit James,any changes since fitting or still nice and solid?

Yes the shocks, mounts and lowering coils are still going well. The only let down now is the new wishbones put on just over a year ago are starting to go on the front bushes, my plan is to Powerflex Black Series the wishbones front and rear. At the moment the car seem to go off on a tangent left and right under heavy acceleration which means the control arm bushes are allowing the wheels to deviate from their parallel position (very annoying)!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

Kingsford G (Sunday 8th December 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm intersted in the PFS lowering kit but have nivomats - if I change the mounts etc I can't see why this kit is wouldn't work on my P2 V70 T5?

Be grateful for any feedback please on handling improvement / reduced ride quality as I'm running 18" Pegs, cheers!

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    It's a pity James and his legendary skills aren't available. MRP lowered his t5, Are you thinking of using p1 parts?

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5boy View Post
    I'm intersted in the PFS lowering kit but have nivomats - if I change the mounts etc I can't see why this kit is wouldn't work on my P2 V70 T5?

Be grateful for any feedback please on handling improvement / reduced ride quality as I'm running 18" Pegs, cheers!
    When removing the nivomats, you only need to fit standard shocks. The mounts are fine.
    If you go from standard shock to nivs is when you need different mounts.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by T5boy View Post

May I suggest you start your own thread as having to refer back to this one makes me twitch!

Also, for you're own safety, please ignore everything said from post #35 backwards......infact, Never read anything said by JamesT5. It will probably kill you or destroy your car!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 26th June 2017 at 19:53. Reason: grammer
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information