Join Today
    Volvoless ;(
    Thanks

Few Simple Q's from a Newb :)

Hey guys (and gals?),

I'm quite the newbie when it comes to mechanics but extremely eager to learn

on 31st December I got my hands on a 1996 V70 T5, the plan is to restore her bit by bit over the months.

I've a lambda sensor light on my dash, is there a way to find out which lambda sensor it is, I'll try the fuse first but just wondering how I could save buying two.

Few other questions if you don't mind guys:

(1) What type of oil do you recommend, including brand?

(2) Perhaps an oil treatment too like STP?

(3) Engine flush, how do I go about this the best way? Is just doing an oil change then use engine oil flush additive and then do another oil change? (obviously filters too) any good?

Also, what websites do you guys recommend for volvo parts, including performance parts of course

Oh and I hope I don't get you guys too sick of me asking questions lol, give it time you will

Also, don't suppose anyone could link me to an on-line copy of a Haynes manual for the V70? I ordered a copy over a week ago which hasn't yet turned up but wouldn't mind a peak now.

Cheers ppl,

H

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    The Lambda light just means a fault has been detected somewhere, It may not be the o2 sensor, You need to get the codes Read.
    Oil id recommend a 10w40, thats what oil Volvo used when they 1st came out, Castrol magnatec is popular and works well, although i use Ac Delco (GM)
    Oil treatment Stp is good but if you change the oil and filter regular i really dont think it will benifit unless its a low mileage engine.
    Engine flush, i really wouldnt ever recomend doing this, unless the head gasket has gone and you have oil and water mix. Does more harm than good imho

partsforvolvosonline.com are really good, but any local motor factor should be able to sort out your requirements.

Hope the above helps, any probs or issues give me a pm, ive had a few t5's over the years now.

the true nut job
    Thanks
    get the codes read mate that's a good place 2 start.... 10-40 oil..pfv is a good site mate
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PHIL V70R For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 13th January 2013)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    As has been said, don't bother with an engine flush, just use good oil and change it and the filter regularly.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Yeah I heard this engine flush stuff is no good for the engine but then others swear by it.

Volvoless ;(
    Thanks
    aarrrggh! God I hope the light isn't for anything nasty then!!

Will any old mechanic have the tool for reading the codes? Don't suppose the tool/gadget is cheap enough to grab one myself?

Thanx for the advice I'll get the Castrol and not bother with any kind of engine flush or oil treatment, will just service regularly.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Yeah I heard this engine flush stuff is no good for the engine but then others swear by it.
    It would probably be better for the engine just to change the oil and filter, run it for 500 miles and then change it again.
    Its not like an oil and filter change is expensive anyway.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HowHard View Post
    Will any old mechanic have the tool for reading the codes? Don't suppose the tool/gadget is cheap enough to grab one myself?
    this has got to be worth a try LINK

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HowHard View Post
    aarrrggh! God I hope the light isn't for anything nasty then!!

Thanx for the advice I'll get the Castrol and not bother with any kind of engine flush or oil treatment, will just service regularly.
    Code readers aren't expensive, I have one that cost me £30 off fleabay but you can get them cheaper than that. Don't get the ones from Argos as they're way overpriced.

Volvoless ;(
    Thanks
    That's exactly my plan now, change filters and oil run for 500miles then change again and just keep serviced regularly.

Regarding the fault code/lambda light..not sure what exactly I need as they seem to say generally for 2001+.

Could anyone tell me if this should work on my P reg T5:

EBAY LINK

Otherwise, any chance at all someone could link me to something that's correct for it.

Thanks guys, H.

"Need More Power
    Captain"
    Thanks
    my 1999 c70 worked fine on a cheapish code reader and gave me the codes i needed.
    i asked around my friends and one had one so didnt cost a penny to find fault codes....its worth asking about
    plus i now have the list of p codes too (fault codes)
    C70 2.4 T Saffy Pearl now dead and stripped
    850 T5 "the Turk" wagon
    V70 D5 parked up for sale
    V50 1.8s family wagon

Volvoless ;(
    Thanks
    ok well that code reader is cheap enough so I'll order that.

So am I right in thinking if the code reader works I then need to find out what the code means? Sorry for the newbie Q's, will this be hard or is there a list somewhere?

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    You must have one of the very first v70s out surely if its 96?!? I thought they didn't come out till 97?

WHY DOESN'T MY SIGNATURE WORK??? ...IT DOES NOW! :-)

Volvoless ;(
    Thanks
    sorry yeah it is 97, P reg

Thread Information