Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Question XC90 Gear Sticking in Park – Advice really appreciated

Hi all,

I am considering buying my brother’s XC90 2005 ‘05’ Volvo 2.4 D5 Executive 5dr Geartronic and could do with some advice on whether the problem with the gears are serious i.e. don’t buy or if it is a reasonable price to fix.

When driving along the car finds the gears fine and the auto gearbox works. However when you park up and put it into Park it thinks it is in gear sometimes and then doesn’t let go of the keys. Other times when you come to start it, it thinks it is in gear so will not start the car unless you move the stick up and return to park which fixes the problem. This issue seems to be intermittent. Could anyone advice to what this issue is and what the parts are to fix it? I have a local mechanic that can fix if I know what it is ☺

Thanks for the help – a potential Volvo owner!

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Could be a faulty solenoid that energises when in park & brake pedal is depressed - just guessing!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

mgratton (Wednesday 9th January 2013)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    There is an interlock on the gearlever when you press the brake pedal you should hear a faint click from the gearstick shift Area .Also it want let you remove the keys if it is not in park.
    Sounds like the gearshifts switch is faulty not an unusual problem.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

mgratton (Tuesday 8th January 2013)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    What's sort miles is on the gearbox - car.
    Also ask has the gearbox oil been changed quite important.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Incidently - flushed my Geartronic box today - 12 Litres of Liquid Gold. Off to Preston Volvo on Friday for a software update & counter reset.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Burn it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vikingxl For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Thursday 10th January 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    What's sort miles is on the gearbox - car.
    Also ask has the gearbox oil been changed quite important.
    The car has done £103,000 miles and he has said £5700 for it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Not sure about the oil but it has a full Volvo service history and he had it from new - I am the poorer sibling!!

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Volvo would not change the oil as part of the service ,untill they are asked to do.
    Sounds a good price for the age miles. Just think of MPG or the lack of.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    There is an interlock on the gearlever when you press the brake pedal you should hear a faint click from the gearstick shift Area .Also it want let you remove the keys if it is not in park.
    Sounds like the gearshifts switch is faulty not an unusual problem.
    Hi there,

Where is best to buy one of these? Also is Volvo required to do anything or can any mechanic replace this?

Thanks,

Matt.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Apparently the solenoid is approx £70....try the forum user called Rufe (Simon) on here, he's from FRF Volvo & will give you a decent discount.
    Click HERE for his details.

The diy procedure taken from another forum:

1/ remove the telephone, cup holder and gear surround. you will need a set of torq screwdrivers or bits for this. The gear stick and silver selector stay in situ, dont be tempted to remove these - totally unnecessary
    2/ remove the fridge and disconnect the wiring to it.
    3/ remove the carpet either side of the transmission tunnel. It just clicks out.
    4/ Put the gear lever in D position and look at the mechanism. There is a small black clip sitting over the solenoid - pry if off with a small flat tip screwdriver.
    5/ Tease out the solenoid. It will come out even though it looks impossible, you will have to twist it as you remove it.
    6/ disconnect the black and green wires. NOTE THE WIRE POSITIONS
    7/ fit in reverse order - if you get a gear selector service message on the dash, ignore it. It will disappear as soon as the car detects the new solenoid at the next cold start.
    Last edited by stephenevans99; Wednesday 9th January 2013 at 10:04.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Harvey & Stephen - this is a rookie question but is the "faulty solenoid" the same as "faulty gearshifts switch"

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    No two different parts, the solenoid should work when in park and the brake pedal pressed ,the switch is tied into the the gear shift ,key switch ,brake pedal.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingxl View Post
    Burn it!
    Haha, I know your history with these things, at least you're being positive lmao!
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgratton View Post
    Hi all,

I am considering buying my brother’s XC90 2005 ‘05’ Volvo 2.4 D5 Executive 5dr Geartronic and could do with some advice on whether the problem with the gears are serious i.e. don’t buy or if it is a reasonable price to fix.

When driving along the car finds the gears fine and the auto gearbox works. However when you park up and put it into Park it thinks it is in gear sometimes and then doesn’t let go of the keys. Other times when you come to start it, it thinks it is in gear so will not start the car unless you move the stick up and return to park which fixes the problem. This issue seems to be intermittent. Could anyone advice to what this issue is and what the parts are to fix it? I have a local mechanic that can fix if I know what it is ☺

Thanks for the help – a potential Volvo owner!
    This problem is normally caused by the cable that directly links the base of the gearshift and the ignition barrel. If you press your foot on the brake (ignition on) and you can hear the solenoid energizing or clicking then it won't be that.

if the cable slips or moves even a gnats C o ck then it won't allow the keys to be removed from the ignition. Likely cause is the moving part at the base of the gear shift. Common enough fault as I've seen a few times.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

mgratton (Thursday 10th January 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    This problem is normally caused by the cable that directly links the base of the gearshift and the ignition barrel. If you press your foot on the brake (ignition on) and you can hear the solenoid energizing or clicking then it won't be that.

if the cable slips or moves even a gnats C o ck then it won't allow the keys to be removed from the ignition. Likely cause is the moving part at the base of the gear shift. Common enough fault as I've seen a few times.
    So if this is slipping does it need replacing or just tightening up. He told me that he had after market bluetooth fitted so maybe he did something?

This user has no status

Thanks

Thumbs up Replies so far.........

Hi everyone thanks so much for replying to me. I have had 6 different ideas of what it could be. I have put them in an order of what I imagine to be easier / less costly to do. I would really appreciate you having a look and letting me know which order you would do it in?

1. Check the switch/ brackets in the centre console, it is known for the screws holding the gearlever selector box to come loose so it doesn't always go into park fully.

2. This problem is normally caused by the cable that directly links the base of the gearshift and the ignition barrel. Likely cause is the moving part at the base of the gear shift.

3. Could be a faulty solenoid that energises when in park & brake pedal is depressed "Solenoid For Shift Control"

4. Sounds like the gearshifts switch is faulty not an unusual problem. Change gearbox oil.

5. There were some known issues with the key cylinder in the steering column, but usually the issues we've seen is the cylinder doesn't unlock when the key is inserted.

6. Burn it.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    List sounds spot on just might want to think hard about no 6.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

mgratton (Thursday 10th January 2013)

Thread Information