Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks

DICE/VIDA??? or a cheapy?

Thinking of getting a Diag reader. Prompted to do this as I have just fitted a sport air filter and it has thrown up a message. (2005 V70 T5)
    I know that if I take car in to indie, they will charge to plug me in.
    Also I will be doing my own servicing so will want to clear all messages, etc.

So.......
    DICE/VIDA. Its the Volvo kit so I know will be good. But what can it do? Is it just a reader and code clearer?
    For example, I want to turn my daytime running headlights off. My indie says it is a plug in job and £50 please. Will DICE/VIDA enable me to do this at home?

Or.......
    Should I just buy a cheaper code reader off ebay so I can get the codes and then take it in and save the money from them not plugging me in?

Has anyone got DICE/VIDA? How do you get on with it? Where did you get it?
    Your help greatly appreciated. Don't want to be wasting my money!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Get a bsr code reader, less hassle than vida and pin points problems quickly and easily. With added bonus reset airbag, abs and service lights

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lsvolvo1 For This Useful Post:

silverhorse (Sunday 16th December 2012)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsvolvo1 View Post
    Get a bsr code reader, less hassle than vida and pin points problems quickly and easily. With added bonus reset airbag, abs and service lights
    If its the one I have found on the internet, its a bit pricey

This user has no status

Thanks
    That ones sold, unless its another they go £150-200

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i personally would go for Vida Dice everytime for the simple fact it can do everything a dealer can do apart from software upgrades as you need to have an account with volvo for that.

For convenience the BSR is good, but it cant do as much as Vida Dice can. Im not sure about the lights, i seem to remember it needing software to turn them off/on
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deathrider311271 For This Useful Post:

silverhorse (Sunday 16th December 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have cleared codes where hardware has been taken out and reinstalled bringing a code up. So that it doesn't work again, clear code and it works again.

Can do 90% with code reader and keep it in glove box, but advanced functions use vida

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
    i personally would go for Vida Dice everytime for the simple fact it can do everything a dealer can do apart from software upgrades as you need to have an account with volvo for that.

For convenience the BSR is good, but it cant do as much as Vida Dice can. Im not sure about the lights, i seem to remember it needing software to turn them off/on
    When you say software upgrades, do you mean to the car or the VIDA program? My car is not getting any younger so I suppose I would not need to update the VIDA program....
    For the lights, you say needing software to turn off. Can this be done by me if I buy VIDA?

Also, just been researching. Looks like you need XP Pro with SP3. I'm on Win 7 64 bit.
    Hmmmmm.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    When you say software upgrades, do you mean to the car or the VIDA program? My car is not getting any younger so I suppose I would not need to update the VIDA program....
    For the lights, you say needing software to turn off. Can this be done by me if I buy VIDA?

Also, just been researching. Looks like you need XP Pro with SP3. I'm on Win 7 64 bit.
    Hmmmmm.
    Quite a few programs can be run by 'right clicking' hitting properties then the compatability tab then selecting XP or whatever you need.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    If you just want to read codes, then go for a cheapie code reader, if you want to get technical then go for DICE/VIDA.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Dice-VIDA if you have got a old laptop with xp pro on and meets the specs required if not wont run it.
    When you see it working you would want one.the code readers you can get only do the engine brakes and not much more.

This user has no status

Thanks
    DiCE+VIDA if you really want to know what's going on. It will log every sensor in the car not just the engine. The diagnostic capability is superior to a generic code reader. I have both and like the convenience of the code reader but if I had to have only one then DiCE it is.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Your version of windows isn't a problem, speak to Leet5 he will tell you what version of vida you need to run with that, he has it too.
    I don't think you can turn your drls off, this is a s/w thing but I do know a guy who is working on resolving this so it will be possible for s/w changes in the future.
    I'm new to vida so I don't know everything it can do, I know you can find every part number and drawing for your car, you can turn your get home lights on for different set times, increase or decrease your heated seat temps, function pretty much every individual electrical component individually I.e turn ur right head light on, spray window washers, all good for fault finding. You can do real time diagnostics, turn your stearing wheel fast and it will tell you the force you turned it, throttle positioning. And this is how I know I had more than a maf issue, when your car is idling with no ac on it should take in a minimum of 12 kg of air per hour, mine takes in 11 with the standard box on, for some reason it doesn't ping the fault light but with my air filter I get between 9 and 10 and that makes the car throw a fit...
    Thanks
    Martyn

15. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

silverhorse (Monday 17th December 2012)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I don't think you can turn your drls off, this is a s/w thing
    This is what is confusing me. I can take the car to my local indie and he says he can plug it in and turn off DRL's and relieve me of some money. Is he not using VIDA? Or is he downloading a bit of software from Volvo and runs it through VIDA?
    I will PM LeeT5.
    Do you use your VIDA/DICE much? With what I want to do, it would pay for itself fairly quickly

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    I think the DRL thing is related to the year of the car.

FWIW I turned off the DRL's on my '02 V70 and '01 XC70 without any problems - no software update required, just VIDA/DiCE.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This is what is confusing me. I can take the car to my local indie and he says he can plug it in and turn off DRL's and relieve me of some money. Is he not using VIDA? Or is he downloading a bit of software from Volvo and runs it through VIDA?
    I will PM LeeT5.
    Do you use your VIDA/DICE much? With what I want to do, it would pay for itself fairly quickly
    I'm not to sure what he will be using then....
    Maybe you can do the drls I thought you couldn't though, I'm really new to it, no I don't use it much, I plan yo use it this week to read for any maf codes it may have. Mine has paid for it's self already.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I'm not to sure what he will be using then....
    Maybe you can do the drls I thought you couldn't though, I'm really new to it, no I don't use it much, I plan yo use it this week to read for any maf codes it may have. Mine has paid for it's self already.
    Can you let me know how you get on? I would be very interested to here what it tells you. I think my MAF is having a funny turn too.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Can you let me know how you get on? I would be very interested to here what it tells you. I think my MAF is having a funny turn too.
    Tried cleaning the maf? I do mine now and again and it seems to sort it for a while. (gets a bit thirsty and lumpy sometimes)

Can't help thinking how much your problem looks like Martyn's (volvokid) problem with his optiflow kit.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah I'm going to check it out so will let u know at the end of the week
    Thanks
    Martyn

22. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    DRL changed to software around facelift time at 2005MY if you have the flippy lid thing by handbrake then as a rule DRL's should be able to be switched off by VIDA etc most 54 plates and newer are software to switch them off

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That will be why I had to get the main dealer to sort my drls out :-(
    Thanks
    Martyn

Thread Information