Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    needs an engine
    Thanks

v70 auto gearbox

Hi guys
    just thought i would start a new thread with a warning about a problem i had recently with topping up my atf (auto transmission fluid )
    firstly i know im an idiot , you dont have to tell me lol
    But i did google this !
    there is a apparently a dip stick tube you should use to top up , DO NOT USE THE BOLT that is sat on top of the trans as this is an anchor bolt for
    the 3rd gear band only , if you remove this you WILL have to strip your transmission to recapture it , there doesent seem to be a quick fix for this
    so just dont do it .
    I'm looking for some pics i can add but it would also be nice if others could add to this thread as it will save people a lot of time and money thru prevention
    i will also add if i find any fixes or any other help, fingers crossed that KNOW ONE ELSE does this .

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...l=1#post478328
    Hi you are not the first to do this there is a way to get the bolt back into the band end.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

UNZIE (Tuesday 18th December 2012)

needs an engine
    Thanks
    thanks but ive googled every thread and post i can find including the one you posted on and haven't found a fix for it yet , i'm looking into getting a new gearbox and fitting it myself , i'll prob; §§§§ that up as well but its got to be worth a shot , trouble is now i got the estate to help me move FRIDAY roflmfao

needs an engine
    Thanks
    Name:  volvo transmission.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  90.6 KB

needs an engine
    Thanks
    ( i got this from another site , does anyone understand it a bit more ? the link explaining it was removed ........................ ) Well as the link recommended we took the anchor bolt out and had it tapped and used a new bolt in the hole we created, replaced the anchor bolt then reached through the hole we drilled and grabbed the band and tightened everything down put our new bolt in the hole in the anchor bolt. Works fine. I realize this is not a official solution but given the tip came from a Sonnax tech we thought is was worth a try and it was. Beat the heck out of a rebuilt transmission and it was a damn good tip. Volvo needs a big red sign on that bolt cause it sure looks like a transmission filler location.

Read more: 2003 Volvo s60 changed transmission fluid now car will not - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/volvo/6f3b...#ixzz2FFvWlEko

needs an engine
    Thanks
    i did just find this ,............ drilled a 5/64" hole in the web on the case just in front of the band anchor hole. Slid a piece of newspaper coated with grease in to catch AL shavings. Put a piece of coathanger in to hold the band in place. Put the anchor home, and put a small screw in the drill hole (which snapped off) but no harm, no foul, and no leaks. Works fine.
    so , gonna try this tomorrow fingers crossed , wish i knew which side to drill ?
    i'll let you know how it goes

needs an engine
    Thanks
    I have repaired a "lost" band anchor a few times. First remove air cleaner and tie anything that is in the way back with mechanic's wire.
    You remove plug and then get a screw driver, smaller size, with about a 6 inch or a bit longer shaft and you go forward in the hole with of screwdriver up( handle end pushed down). Then lift screwdriver handle and "roll" screwdriver to push the end of band to rear to get it in the opening. I had one I couldn't pull back around like this and had to use a cheaper screwdriver and curve the shaft for a little more forward insertion distance.
    The band is a flat steel strap with friction lining bonded to it. The end that bolt anchors is a formed thicker steel piece with a sharply rolled ridge on it with a formed pocket. The end of the infamous bolt sits in the pocket to keep the band end in place. You are trying to catch the pocket and rotate it back to the rear. Once you have it rolled around then push it a bit to the rear and continue to hold it to get oil push out of the servo chamber. The servo will have a fluid fill and you need to displace some fluid to get the end of the band to stay put so you can insert the anchor bolt. IF you release the screwdriver and the band anchor pocket moves back to where bolt want go in then repeat the process and pry harder to get servo released so the band stay put for the bolt to be inserted.
    I had one that wouldn't and I did PLAN B.
    Plan b is taking the bolt and drilling through the center with a less than 1/4 inch drill, the screwdriver you will use needs to be skinny as the bolt will be slid all the way up the screwdriver. You can't drill the bolt with too big a hole or the end will break off when band is putting load on it. Tap the hole you drilled part way down with an appropriate tap and then find a short screw that fits it. You will seal the hole in bolt with this screw and some sealer when you are done.
    Use screwdriver to retrieve and move band end into position and then run the bolt down screwdriver shaft and screw it in while holding the band end with the screwdriver until the bolt is all the way threaded in. Tighten the bolt and then apply silicone sealer to underside of the the small plug bolt head and install it. If you have a copper washer assortment the small plug bolt could be sealed with an appropriate copper seal washer.

You may have to use a piece of rigid wire bent to do this task if the screwdriver isn't working for you.

Pictures of the band with the end brackets.

needs an engine
    Thanks
    Name:  3rd gear band 2.jpg
Size:  107.4 KBName:  3rd gear band 3.jpg
Size:  56.8 KBName:  3rd gear band 4.jpg
Size:  40.6 KBName:  3rd gear band 5.jpg
Size:  16.7 KBName:  3rd gear band.jpg
Size:  102.3 KB

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Does this mean you've fixed it?

- or now know how to fix it?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

needs an engine
    Thanks
    i really hope this helps someone as it took me so long to find this good luck ,
    (i obviously blagged this from the net , but really hope they dont mind as this must happen so much )

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Is she fixed now ?

Sounds like a real ball ache to fix, glad I have a manual

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

needs an engine
    Thanks
    fingers crossed i know how now typically tho i snapped a drill bit in the first bolt , off to the scrappy again tomo , should be an easy fix tho , (he says )
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Does this mean you've fixed it?

- or now know how to fix it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UNZIE View Post
    fingers crossed i know how now typically tho i snapped a drill bit in the first bolt , off to the scrappy again tomo , should be an easy fix tho , (he says )
    Fumsy clucker! lmao

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNZIE View Post
    Just don't Brake the tap off as that will be difficult to get out.

needs an engine
    Thanks
    an update for you , i fitted the bolt following the instructions carefully and after some fiddling trying to suss out which way the band had to go managed to locate the hole for the fixing bolt to line up , i made a small adjustment to the implements i used a long thin bolt instead of the nail so i could use a small ratchet to push it to stop it coming out of place but also so it ment i could turn it slightly to adjust the band while screwing the locator bolt home , a big thanks guys , M.R.P , stribo , harvey , oblark

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Glad you've got it sorted.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

UNZIE (Wednesday 19th December 2012)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Well done, and glad your all sorted.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

20. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bloody well done mate.

I told you all was not lost

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

22. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Well done

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

24. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Fair play to you mate well done

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

Thread Information