Join Today

Thread: V70r awd 1997

This user has no status

Thanks

V70r awd 1997

Hi

A question: I had my car serviced from a local garage including the handbrake readjusting. My wife drove it for 2 days and covered @ 150 motorway miles. When I drove it I realised the handbrake was sticking badly on the passenger side rear. The car's only done 97k original miles and the car was working perfectly fine pre handbrake being adjusted. The mechanic is now telling me the gearbox is shot. Can it be related to the handbrake sticking?

Cheers
    Ben

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    If the handbrake was sticking it might have put extra strain on the AWD system (angle gear and connecting sleeve to the gearbox)
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    i cant see the connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Any other thoughts? A qualified technician's opinion would be most helpful.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    what noise is the gearbox making?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Is it the hand brake sticking or is it just the viscous coupling gone etc.... Ive recently had major probs with my V70 R awd...... Everytime i turned the wheel more than 75% of way round it felt like the rear wheels loclked... ( hand brake sticking )...... I would remove the prop shaft ( between angle gear and rear diff. ..... took 20mins to with the car in the air. 12 bolts in total i think. And try the car then..... Im pretty certain that its not the handbrake. Just coincedence you hand handbrake adjustment. He's probably right its a transmission fault..... but remove the prop shaft and see if it goes. If it does , than atleast you know the problem is the viscous coupling unit or the the rear diff. Hope this helps.....

Thread Information