Join Today
    538 Nm on the old car. Now
    that was torquing!
    Thanks

Ignition Barrel/Switch problems

I need some advice if you can please.

Had to have the RAC out on Saturday to the '99 V70 2.5D.

The key would not go past the "1" position.

The RAC with the aid of some WD40 and force managed to get the car started so it could be driven home.

The problem still exists as in sometimes you cannot turn the key.

Is the barrel easy to remove to see what may be up?

Could it be the switch rather than the barrel?

If I have to change the barrel I take this means that I'm going to have to get the car re-coded for the imobaliser. or is there a way arround this?

Your thoughts/experiences please.

Thanks

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    Utter pain in the §§§§ mate...I had similar problems, in the end after much faffing around, I changed the whole barrel and drivers door barrel, then new keys are required. Even if you by a complete 2nd hand unit with keys they will be useless as they have already been coded to a previous car, they cannot be recoded to a new car. Only options with keys is to go to main dealer who can order keys (you need to supply your car details), or get aftermarket keys and have an auto electrician put the chip in for you.

Changing the barrel on the ignition is also a mission.....its all held on with shear bolts which are a nightmare to get off (well mine were...sometimes it's easier if you're lucky), then, as you will have to remove the steering wheel you will also have to have your airbag light turned off. Also when taking the steering wheel off, be very careful not to spin the parts inside around as this could potentially set the airbag off when you reassemble.

The only help I can give is if you are anywhere near the midlands, I have the proper Volvo diagnostic equipment that can recode keys and turn airbag lights off etc.....if that's any help to you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MA'R'K For This Useful Post:

Blackdog (Tuesday 4th December 2012)

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    ....which reminds me, I've still not changed the barrel on the tailgate yet...must do that!

that was torquing!
    Thanks
    Sounds like a stealer job then.

Luckily it's only 236 quid for the barrel.

Cut to match the key!!!

And 85 quid to fit it.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    May be worth noting, check to see if the release button on the underside of the Gearshift is partially getting stuck! (auto's only) obviously.

that was torquing!
    Thanks
    It's manual.........

Choo Choo!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MA'R'K View Post
    Utter pain in the §§§§ mate...I had similar problems, in the end after much faffing around, I changed the whole barrel and drivers door barrel, then new keys are required. Even if you by a complete 2nd hand unit with keys they will be useless as they have already been coded to a previous car, they cannot be recoded to a new car. Only options with keys is to go to main dealer who can order keys (you need to supply your car details), or get aftermarket keys and have an auto electrician put the chip in for you.

Changing the barrel on the ignition is also a mission.....its all held on with shear bolts which are a nightmare to get off (well mine were...sometimes it's easier if you're lucky), then, as you will have to remove the steering wheel you will also have to have your airbag light turned off. Also when taking the steering wheel off, be very careful not to spin the parts inside around as this could potentially set the airbag off when you reassemble.

The only help I can give is if you are anywhere near the midlands, I have the proper Volvo diagnostic equipment that can recode keys and turn airbag lights off etc.....if that's any help to you.
    The key thing confuses me! What are the keys coded to? I would have thought they were to the ECU, however obviously people swap out ECUs and I see no mention of keys changing hands too.
    S40 T4 - Sold
    C70 T5 - Sold
    S60 T5 - Sold
    V70 T5 - Now with the brother-in-law
    S40 T5...
    V70 T5 (P2)

Thread Information