Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts

uprated drop-links

made these up using universal parts off ebay (all from mcgillmotorsports actually). Only ordered them Friday morning & they were on the doorstep today. Couldn't find my spare so had to take a wheel off to see how compared to the standard ones. Standard are about 8mm thick, while these are 16mm. I'm looking to use M12 rosejoints on mine which will be even thicker, but will mean enlarging the hole in the shock & anti-roll bar. Price came to £58.50, but £15.60 was for the weather proof boots which i doubt we'll use.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    So,can you list the parts up and a link to the web site?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Look good,will be interesting how they last as the brass will wear (as its alot softer than the stock ones ) you will need to fit the boots,I thing you will have to use some studlock on the threads as they will take a pounding on our roads
    What is the weight diffrance from the stock items,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    So,can you list the parts up and a link to the web site?
    2 x lhd M10 rose joints LINK
    2 x rhd M10 rose joints LINK
    1 x pack of 10 lhd locknut LINK
    1 x pack of 10 rhd locknut LINK
    2 x 300mm turnbuckle LINK
    4 x weather boot LINK
    you'll also need 4 x M10 nut & bolt to fit them, & a small spacer on the top mount between the droplink & shock to sit it right

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Look good,will be interesting how they last as the brass will wear (as its alot softer than the stock ones ) you will need to fit the boots,I thing you will have to use some studlock on the threads as they will take a pounding on our roads
    i haven't got a standard one off the car to weigh it, but i'll weigh these later

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Without the weather proof boots - they will fail like my QBM ones did. I suppose it depends on how often you intend to use the car.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Without the weather proof boots - they will fail like my QBM ones did. I suppose it depends on how often you intend to use the car.
    i've bought the boots, but a bitch to get on so for the price just replace them every year if need be

Thanks
    these weigh 0.5kg each, that seems a bit heavy lol

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    these weigh 0.5kg each, that seems a bit heavy lol
    What are the advantage of these over stock ones,have you seen or bent the link rod.
    That is a fair bit of weight to add to the sprung mass of the suspension.
    I know the volvo ones are quite expensive,but there are some good quality pattern parts around.
    At £15 each.
    Last edited by Harvey; Saturday 1st December 2012 at 22:35.

the true nut job
    Thanks
    nice.....
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

Thanks
    What are the advantage of these over stock ones,have you seen or bent the link rod.
    I know the volvo ones are quite expensive,but there are some good quality pattern parts around.
    At £15 each.
    Hopefully it'll improve the efficiency of the anti roll bar, having a bar 20-23mm thick connected at each end by a 8mm drop link can't be passing all the lateral movement to it

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks

Thumbs down

..At £15 each.
    There is no benefit whatsoever - its the word "uprated " which makes people do it, but its not uprated anymore than putting a steel bumper instead of plastic.

Fatandheavy would be a better decription. Now using 8mm tube instead with low friction ball joints might count - IF it was lighter than standard. Whatabout an alloy rod, or even carbon fibre. That might cocunt buit bet you would never notice the difference> Better off turning a few mm off the inside of the wheels to reduce the unsprung weight AND rotarional inertia at the same stime.

Waste of time and money. I guess if its a full race car and you have bent one I could understand it - but hands up anyone who has had one of these ACTUALLY fail??

Thought not.

How many times have I posted this?

p.s. you could get the same effect on your handling by just putting a load of lead on your lower arm. Cheaper too!
    Last edited by woz; Saturday 8th December 2012 at 00:06. Reason: another spoonful of scorn

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    Hopefully it'll improve the efficiency of the anti roll bar, having a bar 20-23mm thick connected at each end by a 8mm drop link can't be passing all the lateral movement to it
    Sorry Pedro - it wont. In any case the A/R bar doesn't resist lateral movement at all - only roll motion. The ball joints see to that - the link rod can only be in direct tension or compression unless the B/j is seized. Thats whole the point of it.
    To resist lateral motion, you need stiffer TCA bushes.
    Woz:>) Grabted they may look nice though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    There is no benefit whatsoever - its the word "uprated " which makes people do it, but its not uprated anymore than putting a steel bumper instead of plastic.

Fatandheavy would be a better decription. Now using 8mm tube instead with low friction ball joints might count - IF it was lighter than standard. Whatabout an alloy rod, or even carbon fibre. That might cocunt buit bet you would never notice the difference> Better off turning a few mm off the inside of the wheels to reduce the unsprung weight AND rotarional inertia at the same stime.

Waste of time and money. I guess if its a full race car and you have bent one I could understand it - but hands up anyone who has had one of these ACTUALLY fail??

Thought not.

p.s. you could get the same effect on your handling by just putting a load of lead on your lower arm. Cheaper too!
    well they will be put to the test on my car, so we'll find out

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Just to add seen a Renault with plastic drop links,and they were very small items as well.

Thanks
    Just to add seen a Renault with plastic drop links,and they were very small items as well.
    Their French, so there technology doesn't count for anything lol

Thanks
    compared to the overall weight of the components that are already unsprung, especially as you say the rotational parts "uprating" the droplinks is going to make no noticable difference at all

Thought not.
    even steel has some elasticity, so once the cornering load has been removed they'll return to the original form. Another Volvo forum is having an issue with poor design of the droplink mounts on some coilovers, all that have failed have had "uprated" droplinks. Perhaps flex in the standard links is saving the tabs from snapping on others?

wouldn't really know, & tbh even if i had read it before i'd still be doing exactly the same

Thanks
    Sorry Pedro - it wont. In any case the A/R bar doesn't resist lateral movement at all - only roll motion. The ball joints see to that - the link rod can only be in direct tension or compression unless the B/j is seized. Thats whole the point of it.
    i'd agree with you, if the droplinks were in a perfect linear position on all axis, & compression was perfectly verticle but its not (otherwise their'd be no need for need for ball joints). With the G force's pushing a 1.6tonne car on an 8mm bar at an offset angle its going to try & get rid of that energy in the easiest fashion, which with a bar that thin is going to be outwards at the weakest point (the middle)

This user has no status

Thanks
    You can see where the top ball joint of the droplink has been hitting the inner wing & bending the tab on the strut on all three of the above pics. Obviously slammed their cars & still think they can drive on full lock.

I have adjustable drop links for my V40 as it will sit so low, with standard length droplinks the angles are so extreme they would fail in no time. Aong with the issue the cars above are having.
    The shortest droplinks are for the front, as they now attach to the lower arm. I can if I want use the longer ones to attach to the struts instead. Depends what feels better when driving. They also weigh about half that of the oem links.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREBOLT View Post
    You can see where the top ball joint of the droplink has been hitting the inner wing & bending the tab on the strut on all three of the above pics. Obviously slammed their cars & still think they can drive on full lock.
    as you can see on the coil-over thread, only 1 of them is what i would call "slammed". The first pic (who has the highest ride height) has gone thru 2 sets now

Thread Information