Join Today
    228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts

Steering wheel renovation project.

After my success, repairing a leather and wood steering wheel, I took-on another in the hope of another win...

I bought a wheel, for a good price, from Munster who told me it was in need of some TLC and thought "no problem".
    He wasn't fibbing...

So, I'm quite confident I can sort the chips and scratches and, at first, the leather looked ok...

But, after a good clean, I could see the real effect of 14 years of use...

I'm gonna have to learn how to fix leather...

I've been doing some research on leather renovation and think I can get some results here but more on that later, when I can get hold of some equipment I don't already have.

First thing's first... fill the chips and scratches...

Because there's some big chunks missing, I'll need to use more than one colour to do the job. Once again I'm using a mixture of acrylic paint and epoxy resin...

On with the job...

More to follow... Stay tuned
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ah, you'd know........... what size torx screw are the screws holding the airbag to the steering wheel. The ones behind it?? My garage didnt put my steering wheel on straight and i want to sort that tomrorow

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Another great job coming up by the look of it.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsford G For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Wednesday 28th November 2012)

Thanks
    Off the top of my head... I think it's T25. You'll need a torx key or a 2" torx bit in a small adjustable spanner. A standard bit won't get deep enough into the hole to grip the bolt and a driver is too long to get between the steering wheel and the dash/cowl. If you're careful, you can remove the bolts, pop the airbag out and get somebody to hold it out of the way while you use a 19 or 18mm (can't remember which) socket with a 2"extension to undo the main bolt holding the wheel on. That way, you won't need to disconnect the battery and unplug the airbag.
    Alternatively, take it back to the garage and get them to do the job properly.
    I wouldn't let you drive it away with a wonkey wheel, so a professional outfit shouldn't either.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Typical, im missing the t25 Key in my set. I think i might just get them to do it then. Its just the faff of taking it there and waiting while they do it. You definitely give everything ago dont you.... What do you actually do as a profession if you dont mind me asking

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeyboy18 View Post
    Typical, im missing the t25 Key in my set. I think i might just get them to do it then. Its just the faff of taking it there and waiting while they do it. You definitely give everything ago dont you.... What do you actually do as a profession if you dont mind me asking
    I work for a large construction firm. I cover environmental spill response, lifting equipment inspection and repair, emergancy breakdown, PPE allocation, stock traceability, work at height equipment inspection, powered access inspection and driving, vehicle banking, loading/unloading of goods, driving various forklifts, small multi-drop deliveries around the country, domestic maintenance, fire equipment inspection, asbestos inspection among other things...

Most of my colligues refer to me as a jobsworth tho. When something works as it should, nobody really notices

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Looks a bit worse than the last one, will be interesting to see how you get on with the leather mate.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Thanks
    leather isn't something I've worked with much. i can get it soft, as you know but repairing it should be interesting.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Owner of Project VolVaxo

Thanks
    Well done on taking this on! not something id like to try tbh lol.......far to fiddley
    4.4 motronic ecu. ostrich emulation chip. boost sensors+ wideband inbuilt to the ecu. 650cc injectors. hybrid GT28 turbo. custom 5 branch manifold. Large side mount intercooler. pipercross custom airfilter. no cat. no back boxes >< All in a saxo
    Follow the volvaxo project on facebook @ > http://www.facebook.com/groups/volvaxo/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hybriduno For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Wednesday 28th November 2012)

Thanks
    Makes me go cross-eyed too lol.
    Gripping a cocktail stick (how I apply the resin) can be tricky with my sausage fingers too

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

hybriduno (Wednesday 28th November 2012)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    How on earth do you "chip" a steering wheel? Unless you grip it really tight and dig your fingernails in?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    How on earth do you "chip" a steering wheel? Unless you grip it really tight and dig your fingernails in?
    Believe it or not, the wood bit isn't wood. It's a laminated metal insert. After years of sunlight and contaminants from grubby hands (there's a lot of evidence to say previous owner liked the odd choccy bar) causes the wood effect to go brittle, then a quick slap from a hand with a chunky wedding ring will be enough to chip it.

Been making some headway with the leather... Pics later
    Last edited by M-R-P; Thursday 29th November 2012 at 09:41.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Believe it or not, the wood bit isn't wood. It's a laminated metal insert. After years of sunlight and contaminants from grubby hands (there's a lot of evidence to say previous owner liked the odd choccy bar) causes the wood effect to go brittle, then a quick slap from a hand with a chunky wedding ring will be enough to chip it.

Been making some headway with the leather... Pics later
    Ah, I see, didn't think about rings.

Cool, actually my steering wheel leather is degraded somewhat, looking forward to the write up
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information