Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Homework help needed

Hi ,
    hope someone can help us, trying to help my son understand fault finding proccess in a wiper motor. We seem to have the gist of it but are struggling to find how to check if the wiper park switch is faulty, can anyone help.

many thanks in anticipation

Steve
    Old age is inevitable, acting your age is optional.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    From my experience with my old Renault, if the switch is faulty when you turn off the wipers the wipers will stop in the position they're at (anywhere on the screen). Not sure if this relates to a Volvo as I've never had any problems with the wiper motors on them.

Any more details on the problem?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Marvin (Sunday 21st October 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Its a college question he has been set on how to diagnose a faulty self park switch on a cars wiper motor, if its old it seems easy enough ie a seperate switch, if its modern read the fault codes via the ECU. The problem is if its a electronic type sealed within the wiper motor how do you confirm the fault?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm no auto electrician but I usually get all the 'sparky bits that don't work' to sort out where I am. On older stuff there will always be a permanent live to the motor which is there for the self parking and a switched live that comes from the switch gear (or possibly a switched earth to if it's ecu controlled). There will also be an earth. If the permanent live has failed then the wipers will stop anywhere when they are turned off, if there is a problem with the self-parking switch then a similar thing will happen but the permanent live will still be present. (that probably won't be much help to you !)
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

Marvin (Sunday 21st October 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the contributions its helping us to direct our thinking. Its been a long time since me and his mom was in school, and I hate to admit it but I made the decision some years ago I was to old to lie under cars in the rain and damp anymore.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Another way to do it would be to test the park switch wiring with a multimeter. Turn on the wipers and see if a voltage is present/not present when the wipers should be 'home/parked'
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Hi ,
    hope someone can help us, trying to help my son understand fault finding proccess in a wiper motor. We seem to have the gist of it but are struggling to find how to check if the wiper park switch is faulty, can anyone help.

many thanks in anticipation

Steve
    If this is still unanswered :
    You'll need a 12V test light.
    - Test the lead at the positive end of the switch, Test light should come on
    - If not, check related fuse.
    - Turn the switch on and use the test light on the other end of the switch. The test light should be lit
    - If not, then switch is questionable
    - If both the switch terminals are okay, then use the light at the socket to the wiper motor.
    - If there's light there, then motor is gone.

Now the above is mostly for wiper motor or some other electrics not govern by the ECU
    Radiator fans, air-cond compressor, etc are driven by the ECU on the negative side.
    So when using a test light, there will be power on both side of the connector until the switch is turned on, the the test lit dims.

It's good the question was about wiper motors, otherwise it's going o be a tough nut to explain.

Thread Information