Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz91 View Post
    How did you find the ITG panel filter? Only a small increase in flow I assume? I'm looking at a filter to buy and fit, but don't want to go down the cone route....yet! With my newly acquired 850 2.3 T5 I will be aiming for sub 300bhp on the standard turbo with air/exhaust/fuel/boost/map to suit. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Jim
    You're not going to get anywhere near 300bhp from a 15g turbo.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    How did you find the ITG panel filter? Only a small increase in flow I assume? I'm looking at a filter to buy and fit, but don't want to go down the cone route....yet! With my newly acquired 850 2.3 T5 I will be aiming for sub 300bhp on the standard turbo with air/exhaust/fuel/boost/map to suit. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Jim

Jim - you'll need more than just a panel to make it go anywhere near 300
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ah, there's me thinking the stock turbo was a 16t. Turbo being the first port of call for any significant increase in bhp!

I'm merely collating info and experience atm as my priority is getting her running properly before attempting any more modifications.
    It's an ex west midlands police car on 152k and i'm surprised at how well it goes already! Standard bar a bailey from what i can figure, but a blanking plate is on its way to go with that. My friend just bought an ex-poilce estate with 191k - only modification I can piece together is the actuator closed for more boost, as it fills the boost gauge instead of around 70%.
    Having said that, mine isn't far off it!

That's one thing I am sure of Dave, he laughs. As I say, I have enough niggles to sort out in the mean time (including hanging revs/engine management light- to which claymore has been kind enough to point me in the direction of the vacuum hoses.) before adding air/exhaust/fuel/boost/map mods.

To get back to the subject, I would definitely want to stick to the replacement panel filter, for the figures i'd like to see in the future, and from what I can gather ITG are the best company to give your coin to.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    you aint gonna get any gains from a filter especially a panel filter

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    you aint gonna get any gains from a filter especially a panel filter
    That settles that, then. As i'm going to be collecting parts for a bit I won't be adding bits and bobs expecting miraculous gains, just that when it came to it I'd more than likely go for ITG's component.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    That settles that, then. As i'm going to be collecting parts for a bit I won't be adding bits and bobs expecting miraculous gains, just that when it came to it I'd more than likely go for ITG's component.
    why? i dont think many people on here use their stuff

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Oh, I thought they were quite popular... Mainly just from friends who have used them in the past. The debate on here with regards to hot engine bay air is discouraging me from using a cone, unless I fabricate a decent shield and utilise the current front-fed air feed. Not entirely convinced, though

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Having done intensive testing on the air temperatures at the filter, I can tell you that within a quarter of a mile of driving, any hot air by the air filter will be gone.

PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

iancho (Monday 10th December 2012),p fandango (Monday 10th December 2012),Taz91 (Monday 10th December 2012)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    The debate on here with regards to hot engine bay air is discouraging me from using a cone, unless I fabricate a decent shield and utilise the current front-fed air feed. Not entirely convinced, though
    Are you driving a car that is tuned to within an inch of its life? Do you use it only on track? Are you aiming to have the quickest car around Cadwell Park?

If the answer is NO to all of these (and I suspect it is!!), then you do not need to worry about a bit of warm air in your engine bay. It makes no difference unless you are a touring car driver. You are not a touring car driver, are you??
    I used to race in a saloon car championship for a few years and everyone had cone filters and nobody worried about warm air intake.
    Anyway, as soon as you hit 10mph, you will be getting cool air flowing into engine bay.

For the likes of you and me, and I suspect the vast majority of chaps and chapesses on here, a cone is the way forward. I think most people do it for the intake noise and looks, not for performance gains.
    Heatshields are all well and good, but it is generally the manufacturers who are suggesting you need them. And they ain't giving them away!!

Get a cone. Go on. Do it I have just ordered one and will then strip off bonnet sounproofing. Let the childishness begin......!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

Taz91 (Monday 10th December 2012)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I agree with the last few posts. Heat soak can be an issue if you're doing 1/4 mile runs as it could affect the initial power off the line, in which case, you modify the engine bay to clear the hot air quicker.
    You also hear horror stories of MAF sensors being cooked by high temps in standing traffic but these are few and other factors could be involved.
    My car still has the original MAF, with 195600 miles on it. I've had a cone filter on for 18 months with no problems whatsoever.
    When it gets dirty I stick it through the dishwasher and don't oil it.

The thread title says "More intake noise options" implying the need for more noise rather high performance gains. I still smile when I hear the collection of sound effects from under the bonnet
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Monday 10th December 2012),Taz91 (Monday 10th December 2012)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I used ITG panels for many years before I was suckered into believing the hype about IPD Ram air stuff. Seen ITG on everything from Hillclimbers to drag cars.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Are you driving a car that is tuned to within an inch of its life? Do you use it only on track? Are you aiming to have the quickest car around Cadwell Park?
    It wasn't for a lack of trying....

Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Monday 10th December 2012 at 10:04.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Monday 10th December 2012),Taz91 (Monday 10th December 2012)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    When it gets dirty I stick it through the dishwasher and don't oil it.
    HHHAAAAAAAA! Brilliant. I am sure I read on the K & N instructions for the wifes MX5 filter that they highly recommended doing this!!!!

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    It wasn't for a lack of trying....

Aaaahhh.... that takes me back. My second ever race was around here. In the wet. With only a 2 hour trackday session about 2 weeks before. In the dry.

Sorry............ Buy a cone!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Having done intensive testing on the air temperatures at the filter, I can tell you that within a quarter of a mile of driving, any hot air by the air filter will be gone.

That's very encouraging stuff. Partnered with Wobbly's temp around Cadwell, the temp drops almost instantly

This user has no status
    Thanks
    So to summarise, if I said I wasn't convinced, I would in fact be lying!! However, I am very tempted to fabricate a heat shield from Aluminium, to save on an expensive one. Decisions, decisions. They look fairly straight forward and nothing out the ordinary day to day fabricating i'm used to, so we'll see.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    So to summarise, if I said I wasn't convinced, I would in fact be lying!! However, I am very tempted to fabricate a heat shield from Aluminium, to save on an expensive one. Decisions, decisions. They look fairly straight forward and nothing out the ordinary day to day fabricating i'm used to, so we'll see.
    Why not!? If you have the time and inclination, it is a good way to save a few bob and you can have a good potter in the garage away from the missus for a few hours
    Also, if you fancy, you can run a direct cold air feed to the cone using ducting.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No reason to not have a go, so we'll see what the weekend brings...

BSR's optiflow looks fairly easy to replicate, found here...http://en.bsr.se/products/4900701/...Nothing an hour or two couldn't copy

Thread Information