Join Today

Thread: Airbag light on

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks

Airbag light on

While I'm on a roll and getting answers to my questions lets crack another one out there lol
    New car has the airbag light on, is this a dealer only reset or can local indies do it? I know it could be many different areas of the system but I heard disconnecting the battery for 24 hrs can clear the fault, is this true? Will a generic fault code reader pick up the fault code so i can fix it or replace the faulty part?
    So many questions, so little time lol

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Some indies can, some can't. Same with the code readers.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by munster732 View Post
    While I'm on a roll and getting answers to my questions lets crack another one out there lol
    New car has the airbag light on, is this a dealer only reset or can local indies do it? I know it could be many different areas of the system but I heard disconnecting the battery for 24 hrs can clear the fault, is this true? Will a generic fault code reader pick up the fault code so i can fix it or replace the faulty part?
    So many questions, so little time lol
    Sometimes the commonest issue is loose wire under the passengers seat (can be knocked when hoovering the car) so try there first. Im not sure if it is, and its sorted, if it will reset the light in which case an indie could do it as Liam mentioned.Although an apparent fix is to disconnect the battery (makes sure you have the radio code) turn key to ignition II and reconnect battery. I cant vouch for its effectiveness though.
    Last edited by Haizum74; Thursday 8th November 2012 at 22:32.

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks
    Decided to investigate and found the wire from the passenger seat belt buckle was broken. Took the battery off, whipped the seat out and swapped the broken one for one off of the spare C70 seats I have in the garage. Joined the wire to the connector as it was different on the V40 and put it all back together, in the dark, with an I phone 4s as a torch. Light is still on but will try and get it reset and fault codes cancelled.

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks
    Been today to get the airbag light reset and it still shows as a fault. I changed the buckle and rewired the plug, it's only 2 wires so how hard can it be. Surely it's only a simple circuit up one wire thru belt buckle and tab and back to wherever? The "no seatbelt" warning is only on the drivers seat innit otherwise it would drive to mad when you are on your own.
    Guy at shop showed me that it shows a correct circuit on drivers belt and when unfastened it shows as fault. Passenger belt shows as fault all the time.....aaarghhh
    Think best thing is to swap belt buckles and see if the fault swaps sides, is that fairly logical cos it seems about right to me??

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks
    Got a replacement buckle with matching part number from a breakers on Ebay for £15 delivered. Disconnected the battery and fitted it today and boom, no more airbag light. It has reset itself and all is good in the world of V40!

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Happy days
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Glad your all sorted mate.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Thread Information