Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    T5 powered and retro
    Thanks

Heater control panel illumination....or not!

I'm ironing out a few niggles with my new V40 diesel, I hate stuff not working or nor doing what it should.....think it might be a touch of car based OCD.
    My heater panel has 3 knobs but only the centre one is illuminated at night. I have taken the plastic trim off the front, and removed the panel completely. If you take the knobs out of their housing you can see the bulbs behind them, they are discoloured and look to be burnt out.Does anyone know how to change these bulbs? Are they soldered onto the circuit board? If so, how do you get to them? Where can you buy them?

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by munster732 View Post
    I'm ironing out a few niggles with my new V40 diesel, I hate stuff not working or nor doing what it should.....think it might be a touch of car based OCD.
    My heater panel has 3 knobs but only the centre one is illuminated at night. I have taken the plastic trim off the front, and removed the panel completely. If you take the knobs out of their housing you can see the bulbs behind them, they are discoloured and look to be burnt out.Does anyone know how to change these bulbs? Are they soldered onto the circuit board? If so, how do you get to them? Where can you buy them?
    Can you get a picture up? I've done many bulbs in my V70's, but not in the heater control unit.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    You need to take the whole panel out, very easy 4 screws I think. Take a flat head screw driver and you turn the bulbs out 90 degs or so then the will fall out. The bulbs get very hot and the blue rubber Johnny that's on them melts off so that your dash lights up white.
    Thanks
    Martyn

4. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

munster732 (Thursday 8th November 2012)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    You need to take the whole panel out, very easy 4 screws I think. Take a flat head screw driver and you turn the bulbs out 90 degs or so then the will fall out. The bulbs get very hot and the blue rubber Johnny that's on them melts off so that your dash lights up white.
    Are they the ones with the white base like in the stereos?

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks
    Will have another look this weekend, the bulbs are sat down underneath the housings that the rotary knobs sit in, will try and turn them and see if they drop out. Is it a Volvo dealer bulb or can they be bought from anywhere else?

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Will have another look this weekend, the bulbs are sat down underneath the housings that the rotary knobs sit in, will try and turn them and see if they drop out. Is it a Volvo dealer bulb or can they be bought from anywhere else?
    It will be easier to take the unit out and unscrew from the back end of it as they are very delicate (I crushed the middle one when sorting out my heater blower issue, luckily I had a spare) and they are inserted in towards the knobs and then turned 90 degrees on to the contacts. It takes a bit longer to get it out of the dash but once done its easy to fix. If you need any help give me a shout. Also you can get then from Rufe who is on here. I will find a link to his details and post it (or visit Ray Chapman in Malton ;-))
    Last edited by Haizum74; Thursday 8th November 2012 at 20:46.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    If they are the same as what are in the p1 V70, then I've just replaced my whole unit so you could have the bulbs out of my old one. I think just one may have not been working though.

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
    It will be easier to take the unit out and unscrew from the back end of it as they are very delicate (I crushed the middle one when sorting out my heater blower issue, luckily I had a spare) and they are inserted in towards the knobs and then turned 90 degrees on to the contacts. It takes a bit longer to get it out of the dash but once done its easy to fix. If you need any help give me a shout. Also you can get then from Rufe who is on here. I will find a link to his details and post it.
    Cheers buddy, will call into Ray Chapman Volvo in Malton as im passing there tomorrow and get a few bulbs. It does look like a ball ache to get at them in the recesses, with my" touch of a baby elephant" I will probably crush a few so i may just buy 5 bulbs to be safe lol

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Cheers buddy, will call into Ray Chapman Volvo in Malton as im passing there tomorrow and get a few bulbs. It does look like a ball ache to get at them in the recesses, with my" touch of a baby elephant" I will probably crush a few so i may just buy 5 bulbs to be safe lol
    NP at all. Here is a link to getting the ACC unit out, takes about 10 minutes. The hardest part is removing the plugs at the back especially the larger one as it has a press down clip at the top and then pull to remove while pressing it down. I found using a small screwdriver horizontally across the top and pushing down while pulling works. You will see what I mean. LINK You don;t need to remove everything below the ACC either as it says in the thread link. It has two nodules on the top and bottom and you just need to lift the area below and above to get it out. Again its not difficult.

Also, this is the type of bulb you need Name:  CM121108-203601.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  110.7 KB NOT ACTUAL SIZE ;-)
    Last edited by Haizum74; Thursday 8th November 2012 at 20:45.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    They are really easy, just remove the whole unit. I took a picture of the bulb for you.

Name:  20121108_202939.jpg
Size:  389.6 KB

These are cheap in comparison to the head light control bulbs, they are a fortune lol
    Thanks
    Martyn

14. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

'Ow do
    Thanks
    They are really easy, just remove the whole unit. I took a picture of the bulb for you.

These are cheap in comparison to the head light control bulbs, they are a fortune lol
    Those are the smaller ones that go in the head light control console, the ACC bulbs are bigger.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
    NP at all. Here is a link to getting the ACC unit out, takes about 10 minutes. The hardest part is removing the plugs at the back especially the larger one as it has a press down clip at the top and then pull to remove while pressing it down. I found using a small screwdriver horizontally across the top and pushing down while pulling works. You will see what I mean. LINK You don;t need to remove everything below the ACC either as it says in the thread link. It has two nodules on the top and bottom and you just need to lift the area below and above to get it out. Again its not difficult.

Also, this is the type of bulb you need Name:  CM121108-203601.jpg
Size:  110.7 KB NOT ACTUAL SIZE ;-)
    Yeah thanks, i had the unit out tonight, took the back cover off and thought "feck, that looks a complicated circuit board" so put it all back together again lol. So to change the bulbs you need to take the circuit board out ? I had a wiggle with it but it seemed quite firmly wedged in there and didnt want to break it. Feeling brave now so will sort this baby over the weekend. Gee, i love you guys

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks

Aw shoot, the headlight switch dont light up either, gonna be a bulb tastic weekend methinks

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Yeah thanks, i had the unit out tonight, took the back cover off and thought "feck, that looks a complicated circuit board" so put it all back together again lol. So to change the bulbs you need to take the circuit board out ? I had a wiggle with it but it seemed quite firmly wedged in there and didnt want to break it. Feeling brave now so will sort this baby over the weekend. Gee, i love you guys
    Heh yeh I thought that too. It clips in to the white base at either side and there are two screws in the centre, take them out and then with a flat blade sd push in one of the sides where it clips so the sd is on the green bit and then gently push the white surround above it, outwards. I t will free it and out it pops. Putting it back on make sure the knobs line up with the variable resistors or it will look as though it wont go back on and also make sure the green plugs are facing you (took me five minutes to realise that and wondered why it didnt go in lol). It might be worthwhile checking the solder on the joints to the ACC speed control as these can dry and crack and then you can have a slow/fast blower when turned on. If its not then dont worry about it.

Aw shoot, the headlight switch dont light up either, gonna be a bulb tastic weekend methinks
    Lol, so youre having the same problem as me. You need 3 of them.

£2.44 each from Rufe at FRF Volvo with VPCUK discount. They are the best price I could find.
    Last edited by Haizum74; Thursday 8th November 2012 at 21:02.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I never did that, I just unscrewed them from the back .
    Thanks
    Martyn

'Ow do
    Thanks
    I never did that, I just unscrewed them from the back .
    Yeh youre right, just tried it on a spare one I have. Im half thinking of the heater issue and half the bulbs. You can indeed unscrew them without taking the PCB out.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cool, I remembered they where at least double that
    Thanks
    Martyn

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks
    Just been into local stealers...6 bulbs = £37.34!!!
    On the phone to Rufe and £24 delivered so over 50% saved :-)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I never bother calling around nowadays FRF are the best.
    Thanks
    Martyn

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Crikey £37 for 6 little bulbs. They should change the name to Dick Turpins, least he had the audacity to wear a mask. Good price from FRF then.

How much were the larger ones each?

Thread Information