Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Question power to reverse sensors not enough

hi. as some know I fitted some fleabay after-market reverse sensors and all is fine with the fitment.

But after some time now I've noticed that they perform below par in terms of the 'beep' they emit. Sometimes it's a good solid loud beep - the kind you want.

But most of the time it's a feeble barely audible muffle which I have to struggle to hear - not ideal obviously.

I am assuming not enough power to the unit from the reverse bulb cable I am using.

So - couple of questions:
    1) Is there an alternative reverse-switched 12v power I can grab from somewhere? Even if running a long wire?
    2) With the fact I now have quite a bit of after-market electrics in my car (sensors, satnav, powered-RTI motor, new HU, 2x amps, etc.) could I be drawing "too much" power for the battery and need something more hefty? This is totally outside my knowledge zone so is really just a semi-educated guess.

Thanks in advance

H

2004 V70 2.4 | Twitter: @howard_scott | Skype: howard_scott

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    You won't be pulling too much from the battery with those mods, although a big amp and sub can kill a battery in a couple of hours if the engine's off.
    If you wanted to run a separate supply for the sensors, fit a relay to the reversing lights, using it to switch a supply directly from the battery or unused fuse in the rear fuseboard.
    However, I can't help thinking you may have a dodgy connection somewhere or the speaker on your receiver is being obstructed in some way.

I fitted my reversing sensors (Amazon £13 with 4 sensors and an LED distance/direction display) I fitted it directly to the bulb carrier, using the bulb to hold the wire in place (YEE HAAA!).
    Other than the sensors getting over-excited when it rains, I've had no problems with it at all.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    that's pretty much exactly the same as my install mate except I used Scotchlocks. hmmm - will take a look at that as well.

H

2004 V70 2.4 | Twitter: @howard_scott | Skype: howard_scott

Thread Information