Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

s40 blower motor changing speed on its own

hi im new to the forum but was wondering if you can help me i ve got a s40 1.8 2003 with air con but no climate control the blower keeps changing its speed on its own ive discovered buy trial and error that it seems to be the switch if you just touch it without turning the knob the speed will change ive taken the unit apart but cant see any dry soldered joints or any other problem so just wondered if anyone has come across this fault and fixed it without buying a new unit as its very expensive from the dealers thanks for all your help

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    hi im new to the forum but was wondering if you can help me i ve got a s40 1.8 2003 with air con but no climate control the blower keeps changing its speed on its own ive discovered buy trial and error that it seems to be the switch if you just touch it without turning the knob the speed will change ive taken the unit apart but cant see any dry soldered joints or any other problem so just wondered if anyone has come across this fault and fixed it without buying a new unit as its very expensive from the dealers thanks for all your help
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Funnily enough yes, I have had this problem on both my T4's and its down to the solder joints. They may not look dry and cracked however just tonight I took these pics of what they look like very close up (if you have an android phone you can download an app called cozy magnifier)

and this is how they should be (this is the far right temp gauge part)

So, try and put some fresh solder on and give that a go. I actually got a second hand part for mine which sorted it (it did the slow/fast bit for a second then settled) but I am going to try and solder the old one and see what happens, apparently it has been done before and solved it. If not then it could also be the resistor but that usually shows symptoms of the blower only working on setting 6.

If that doesnt fix it then it could be the potentiometer that's jiggered too.
    Last edited by Haizum74; Sunday 28th October 2012 at 09:33.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    hell - if I can bodge-solder a DIM for a year, this should be a breeze mate
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    If not the solder joints there's a small unit behind the glove box that controls the fan speed. it looks like an oversized diode or a small battery and is silver in colour. had to replace one on my v40 a couple of years ago.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CONDYBOY View Post
    If not the solder joints there's a small unit behind the glove box that controls the fan speed. it looks like an oversized diode or a small battery and is silver in colour. had to replace one on my v40 a couple of years ago.
    Thats if its only working on the highest setting. Reason being is that the resistor doesnt control setting 6 (effectively its off). If the blower is going fast and slow on one setting then its the solder joints or the variable resistor

Thread Information