Join Today
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Replacement Fuel Pump Arrived

Just to let you all know, I got my replacement fuel pump for thw T5 today. Interestingly and somewhat worrying though, I think it smells of Diesel! Odd considering it's from a petrol model.

Anyway, it's a guaranteed part and I'll be fitting it Saturday, rain sleet or shine.

Regards

James

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Good luck

Only ever changed a fuel filter on my old 940 but had to undo the fuel pump pipes as the nuts were all solid. Hope yours isn't a tough job.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    Good luck

Only ever changed a fuel filter on my old 940 but had to undo the fuel pump pipes as the nuts were all solid. Hope yours isn't a tough job.
    The fuel pump looks like a pretty easy job. The RAC man said to take the top plate off and then just pull the old pump out as it sits in the fuel tank. Then put the replacement pump in and do everything back up (including the electrics).

I might do some photos and a write up but time will be tight so it will depend on that and how easy I can do the job.

Regards

James

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Friday 19th October 2012)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Ok, so I went out this morning and tried to remove first of all the fuel pump sender unit. This is because the sender unit was the one the RAC man was hitting to get the car to start.

Problem, I can't get the retaining ring to shift with a hammer, or screw driver or otherwise. Having done some research it turns out that like everything else on a Volvo, there is a special tool for removing it and I'll be damned if I'm going to go to a Main Stealer to have this work done. My plan is to go to my local DIY store, get some large heavy duty water pliars or similar and then use my wrench to get some weight behind it to turn the ring.

What a nightmare!

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    If there the same plastic ring as on the phase 1 and 850's all you need is a metal punch and a hammer make sure the punch is a decent size probley around 10mm and this will the not cut through the plastic grooves and tap it round.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Saturday 20th October 2012)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Yeah hammer and large screwdriver done it for me

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Saturday 20th October 2012)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Thanks chaps, I'll need to invest in a larger hammer and either a large screw driver or 'Punch' as described.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    I used a three legged oil filter removal tool. eBay item 260984922826 is similar.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. I'm pleased to say I've now fitted the replacement fuel pump and also the replacement sender unit too. All in all, the job took me several hours and a couple of layers of skin off my hand but that's a small price to pay compared to garage labour charges. Another victory for the consumer.

Anyway, the car started with a couple of extra turns and there are no fault codes in the ECU so hopefully I shouldn't have any problems. I just need one new retaining ring for the sender unit as I was forced to damage the old one to get it off.

If I get any issues I'll let you all know but fingers crossed!

Regards

James

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    I used a three legged oil filter removal tool. eBay item 260984922826 is similar.
    Thats a dafer option but punch or a screw driver and big hammer served me well so far.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Another job out they way mate, keep it up. I hope you're subscribing to your threads so you can look back on them in a year.

I was flicking through my "is it worthit" thread the other day, I'd forgotten just how much I'd done.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Fuel Leak!

Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Another job out they way mate, keep it up. I hope you're subscribing to your threads so you can look back on them in a year.

I was flicking through my "is it worthit" thread the other day, I'd forgotten just how much I'd done.
    Well I was a but premature with my "it's fixed" posting yesterday. After I posted the above "it's fixed" comment I enthusiastically drove to my nearest petrol station and put £60's worth of petrol in the tank before driving to the supermarket. I did the 1 - 2 miles trip, parked up and could smell a really strong petrol smell. I got out and to my horror, petrol was pouring down the outside of my fuel tank and on the the car park!

I thought I'd damaged my tank somehow until I realised that the problem was actually that the sender unit wasn't sealed down properly by the plastic O ring that was damaged during removal. When I filled the tank up, it came out above the level of the sender unit and then burst out the top of the tank and ran over the top of the tanks, down the sides and on to the car park. I felt such a pleb and should have taken precautions.

Anyway, for about 2 minutes I just stood there watching in horror as my fuel ran down the car park trying to think what to do first. I managed to get the supermarket manager to put some cat litter down to absorb the petrol. Not only that, the fuel gauge was telling me porkies so that sender unit is obviously faulty (yes the replacement second hand part off e-bay), so that will be going back for a refund.

I called the RAC out and my Dad. Thankfully Dad brought out a large 4 - 5 gallon plastic container and the RAC man managed to drain the fuel from the tank by activating the fuel pump and disconnecting one of the lines to the fuel filter to drain the petrol. This in turn lowered the level of petrol in the tank and stopped it over flowing.

Now, the solution to this is that I've had to eat some humble pie and go against my general rule of thumb..... I've booked the car in to my local Volvol Stealer on Wednesday morning to get the thing resealed and fixed back up properly. I've ordered new parts from Volvo (they're less than £20 in total) and I spoke to a workshop forman today. He tried making out it was a 2 hour job to change the O rings and platic retainers, something I swiftly put him right on and explained it should take no more than 30 minutes to do the job as I'd had the parts off myself and knew how they go together!

I'm taking the back rests of the rear seats out so they can replace the other O rings and retainer without charging me too much in labour. I'm going to give them half an hour to do the job which I think is reasonable to change 2 O rings and swap the sender unit over again for the old one. The sender just unplugs and comes straight out, something that will take a Volvo trained technician 1 - 2 minutes to do.

But I got the feeling he was trying to make a big deal out of the job, something I really hate and I'll be going in there Wednesday and making a point of telling them that I know exactly what the job involves and how long I think it should take. Hopefully then I won't get 'diddled' in labour but I want to make certain that everything is sealed off properly and this seemed like the safest option right now.

What a week!

Regards

James

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi James

Just wondered what the final outcome of this situation was. Presumably all rectified by the main stealer.

I came across this thread whilst searching as I might need to replace my pump at some point. After reading this I'll probably order a new ring and seal to avoid such dramas!

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Hi James

Just wondered what the final outcome of this situation was. Presumably all rectified by the main stealer.

I came across this thread whilst searching as I might need to replace my pump at some point. After reading this I'll probably order a new ring and seal to avoid such dramas!
    The pump wasn't the problem so I have a healthy spare pump (I think I've still got it) if you want one. The issue was and is with the sender unit, I got a replacement and that was faulty but at least the car runs, so I have another sender unit still in its box waiting to go on the car. I'll have to get it booked in at a Main Stealer again to have it fitted (just a different one this time).

Yes, my advice is get a new 'O' ring, they're about £12 each I think or there abouts. If you do the job yourself, just make sure you don't damage the O ring getting it on and make sure its very tight or you'll have a fuel leak (a big one). Also, make sure the thread that the O ring goes on to is perfectly clean and dust free (one thing I did pick up from the Stealers is that advice).

Regards

James

Thread Information