Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

S 70 t5 horsepower help

I have a 1997 s70 t5 its got 3' downpipe straight through powerflow exhaust and rica remap to 310 bhp i need of some help how to get it to the 400 bhp mark please

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spraggy View Post
    I have a 1997 s70 t5 its got 3' downpipe straight through powerflow exhaust and rica remap to 310 bhp i need of some help how to get it to the 400 bhp mark please
    With lots of money!!!!

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    lol for a start your car won't be 310bhp more like 270-280bhp, with a fair few quid you can get up to 310 easy enough, to reach 400bhp you will need thousands to spend
    Last edited by T5frankie; Sunday 7th October 2012 at 14:56.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealevo View Post
    With lots of money!!!!

How true that is. Tuning costs remind me of a hocky stick. You can get 20-30bhp fairly cheaply, then costs spiral out of control for every bhp after that. It has cost me >£10,000 to get mine from 300 to 370bhp. I could list the mods & cost of each if anyone is interested. I am now looking at a further £2000 for a bigger turbo with bigger injectors and another custom map.

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Tipical.Some one buys a t5 from a guy who claims say 320bhp out of rica 310 and 16t stock turbo and thinks its easy to get more power.I can`t blame ppl as after driving 100+ bhp car a mapped t5 fells like a rocket.First u`ll need to forge the engine then bigger turbo,injectors,fuel pump,custom map etc.As Frankie said u can get 310 with a few more bits done cheap enough but like dtp said ££££ for more power.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    As Frank said, your probably around the 280bhp mark now, with a RICA 310 (this doesn't mean 310bhp, it was just the remap code) and full exhaust. It wouldn't take a huge amount to reach a solid 300bhp.

If you want a reliable 400bhp, that a different story altogether:
    Good engine, new piston rings minimum. Standard pistons are fine for 400+bhp.
    Forged Rods
    Ported & flowed cylinder head
    Bigger throttle body
    ME7/S60R exhaust manifold
    Bigger injectors
    Alluminium Intercooler
    Water Injection
    Minimum Garret GT28
    A decent custom map to suit
    Plus a clutch that'll take it

That alone is into the many ££££'s

Then you'd be crazy to do any of that without, uprating the brakes, fitting a LSD, uprated ati roll bars, better springs and shocks, ideally coilovers.

Course, if you've got the money to spend, anything is achievable, SO DO IT! And with the right setup 400+bhp in the P1's can be a hell of a weapon!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    As Frank said, your probably around the 280bhp mark now, with a RICA 310 (this doesn't mean 310bhp, it was just the remap code) and full exhaust. It wouldn't take a huge amount to reach a solid 300bhp.

If you want a reliable 400bhp, that a different story altogether:
    Good engine, new piston rings minimum. Standard pistons are fine for 400+bhp.
    Forged Rods
    Ported & flowed cylinder head
    Bigger throttle body
    ME7/S60R exhaust manifold
    Bigger injectors
    Alluminium Intercooler
    Water Injection
    Minimum Garret GT28
    A decent custom map to suit
    Plus a clutch that'll take it

That alone is into the many ££££'s

Then you'd be crazy to do any of that without, uprating the brakes, fitting a LSD, uprated ati roll bars, better springs and shocks, ideally coilovers.

Course, if you've got the money to spend, anything is achievable, SO DO IT! And with the right setup 400+bhp in the P1's can be a hell of a weapon!
    i should know lol, and to be fair if you look on rica website they do say power increase to 310bhp so every newbie will believe that

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    i should know lol, and to be fair if you look on rica website they do say power increase to 310bhp so every newbie will believe that
    True that. I did! Long ago when I got my RICA 310 (gotta be getting on for 10 years ago now). Hamish told me I had 310bhp, and I believed him! Good job folks like you and me are here to educate people init?!!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    True that. I did! Long ago when I got my RICA 310 (gotta be getting on for 10 years ago now). Hamish told me I had 310bhp, and I believed him! Good job folks like you and me are here to educate people init?!!
    since i put your shiny stuff on my engine its now much quicker got to be 370bhp now

This user has no status

Thanks
    so how i could achieve a solid 310bhp at the wheels i want something to stuff the new focus rs cheers

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    If you can wait until january, I'll have everything you need to get well past 310bhp for sale for £300
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I have 320bhp on my C70. This was achieved using a 19T, bigger injectors, some custom pipework & a custom map.

TBH the easiest way to get to 320 bhp is to buy a S60 T5 from 2005 - 2007, with the 2.4l lump in it and stick a map on it. The bigger engine tunes better, turbo is better than the 16T.

If you want to stick with what you've got then the road to 400 or even 320 is not exactly cheap.

Depends what you want out of the car at the end of the day. Are you going to do track days & 1/4 miles?
    I would say for fast road use the 19T upgrade is more than enough, plus as a direct bolt on you will have less hassle getting it to fit & the 19T is more durable than a ball-bearing turbo eg. Garret GT series.

I've been running the same 19T since 2005 and its still going strong.

Supporting mods for high power such as an LSD are useful but only on trackdays and 1/4 miles. Coil overs are IMHO only good if you know a decent chiropracter or again if you want to do loads of track day stuff. This maybe that peeps like that unforgiving harsh ride quality, but for me it made me sea-sick & uncomfortable. Brakes - you can run a decent set of Ferodo DS2500 pads on standard calipers, put goodridge lines to replace the old wooly ones & some dot 5 fluid to make your brick stop in a reasonable distance.

I hope you will be saving your "RS Stuffing" for the strip or the race track. We already have enough members (2) of the Volvo Squadron, and we are currently not recruiting. Enjoy.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Any idea approximate price for a 19t upgrade

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    There are a lot of factors to take into consideration.
    The basic ingredients
    TD04-19T £500
    race cat d/p £300
    cat back exhaust £300
    off-the-shelf map £500

Optional extras may include
    Bigger FMIC with 3" core
    Intake Mods e.g. cone filter, heat shield & MAF to turbo pipe & RIP kit
    bigger injectors
    all which will ultimately bring you towards a custom remap.

Supporting mods
    Brake upgrades
    Strut brace
    Suspension upgrade

Basic setup is 1600 perhaps less if you can source parts more cheaply - but it doesn't include any labour. You're gonna have to spend at least what the car is worth. You can offset against sale of your old remap - 70 - 100 quid??
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    he is asking about 310bhp at the wheels which may be too much for a 19t, jamest5r has a garrett t35 which makes 340bhp (310@wheels) to be honest daves 320bhp@flywheel is enough to see off a standard rs forcus as seen below

Thread Information