Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

vviibbrraattiioonnnn!!!

Hi,

I recently bought a 2003 V70r as a replacement for an MGZTT which in turn replaced a dead T5. It's great but has developed a serious vibration on the approach to 60 but reduces as I back off. It has been joined a rough, vibratey feel from 30 up that feels like a flat though the raer tyres are new and there is very little vibration through the steering.

I think it's prop shaft related and I'm worried about the diffs so want to get it sorted. Can anyone recommend a mechanic in Norfolk? I want it checked properly but I'm going to a dealer unless I really really have to. Can anyone help?

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Hmmm, could be the angle gear failing/failed. Do some searching for angle gear replacement threads on here and google, you may see the symptoms you mention.
    There's a few members here with a lot of experience with the R models, hopefully,? They'll jump in soon.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Try fitting spare tyre on each side,to see if it goes away.
    Could be a bent rim.

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Hi,

I recently bought a 2003 V70r as a replacement for an MGZTT which in turn replaced a dead T5. It's great but has developed a serious vibration on the approach to 60 but reduces as I back off. It has been joined a rough, vibratey feel from 30 up that feels like a flat though the raer tyres are new and there is very little vibration through the steering.

I think it's prop shaft related and I'm worried about the diffs so want to get it sorted. Can anyone recommend a mechanic in Norfolk? I want it checked properly but I'm going to a dealer unless I really really have to. Can anyone help?
    If the prop shaft was out of balance then the vibration would be from stand still to 60 mph and get worse the faster you go. Many years I had a bin bag raped around the prop shaft on a 740 and the vibration at 30 mph was unbelieveable.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

the true nut job
    Thanks
    try the bent rim....thats what mine had..
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Vibrations - my favourite Volvo topic right now. Ok, my advice from my experience is get the wheels balanced and aligned, my car got bad at around 60 but improved greatly after ATS balanced all my wheels again.

Regards

James

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    As James said.... First things first. ALL wheels removed from car and rebalanced. While they are being balanced they can kill two birds with one stone by checking for a bent rim. Road test.
    If vibration still present then you need a decent garage to put the car on a four post lift and check all the drive shafts for play. While your there you can check the prop center support bearing. Generally these do not wear but there should be absolutely no sideways movement or play. I would rule out angle gear at this stage as its unlikely to cause you vibration at speed, just loss of 4WD. You can check the angle gear while its in the air anyhow to make sure it has not ripped itself to bits and spat the splines out. You should not have any oil leaking from the transfer box, if you do, then imediately top up before you lower the car.
    Front CV joints are a common fail point on R models.
    Last but not least will be the clutch and DMF. These are always overlooked but can cause big/small vibration at between 50 - 70mph (in most cases). You need to rule this out until you have exploited every other avenue cos a new clutch, dmf and slave cylinder will set you back at least £1400.
    I had a slight vibe at around 55-60 but it was slight. It completely disappeared once my new clutch, dmf and slave were fitted.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Not all wheel balancers are the same. Static wheel balancers don't balance laterally. Make sure your garage has a dynamic one.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Hi mudman,

I am in Norflok and my Volvo is at Wrights Volvo in Attleborough at the mo, where they are relieving me of large quantities of cash! They are an indie setup and have been around for donkeys. Good reputation too. They ain't cheap, but damn sight cheaper than Main Stealer and they have all the gear. They know their onions so if you are fairly close, maybe worth sticking your head round the door.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Hi mudman,

I am in Norflok and my Volvo is at Wrights Volvo in Attleborough at the mo, where they are relieving me of large quantities of cash! They are an indie setup and have been around for donkeys. Good reputation too. They ain't cheap, but damn sight cheaper than Main Stealer and they have all the gear. They know their onions so if you are fairly close, maybe worth sticking your head round the door.
    PS. are bent alloys a common thing on Volvos? I have 18'' BBS split rim Nebs

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'll go to Wrights and get everything checked. There are no leaks so I'm going to take it easy. The previous owner said that the angle head had been replaced so I'm hoping that its not that. I will report in due to course.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you find out it is propshaft related then take a peek at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo-s60R...item43b416c3bd
    2003 S60R. RaceS60R 3" DP, RaceS60R intake, Re-map performance remap, FMIC, D5 oil cooler

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Nope.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    The Amalthea wheels seem pretty poor quality to me; ATS said all 4 of mine are buckled to some extent.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I got the front tyres replaced and the rears rebalanced, I asked mr kwikfit to check the rims and see if anything in the wheel arches looked broken or was leaking but nothing was reported. The vibration has changed but there is still a God awful high frequency shake when warm, as if I've got a puncture. Something must be broken or very loose but I don't know what. Could it be suspension or a collapsing bearing or what?! I don't have the time to get under it and can't get to Wrights till half term but if anyone can point me in a possible direction then I might be able to take some action.
    I hate cars.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I got the front tyres replaced and the rears rebalanced, I asked mr kwikfit to check the rims and see if anything in the wheel arches looked broken or was leaking but nothing was reported. The vibration has changed but there is still a God awful high frequency shake when warm, as if I've got a puncture. Something must be broken or very loose but I don't know what. Could it be suspension or a collapsing bearing or what?! I don't have the time to get under it and can't get to Wrights till half term but if anyone can point me in a possible direction then I might be able to take some action.
    I hate cars.
    Read thread #7.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Forgive me Lee, but how do I find thread #7, the search function can't help and I'm feeling stupid.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Forgive me Lee, but how do I find thread #7, the search function can't help and I'm feeling stupid.
    At the top right corner of each persons post, there should be a number.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Your currently reading thread #19. As Liam says, look in top right corner for thread #7.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I took the car to R&R in Norwich, they took it for a drive and then up on the lift for a good look. Their diagnosis is that the os drive shaft is done in, which is fair enough but they said that it's a £300+ part.
    I've not been able to find any V70R on the web to check this out, does it seem like a fair price? If it is it is, I'd just like to know.

Thread Information