Join Today
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Moderator
    This user has no status
    y2blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    1,197
    Thanked 660 Times in 489 Posts

    D5 Fuel Filter replacement.

    I'm finally going to get round to fitting my new fuel filter tonight.
    it is the Metal Canister type (it looks like a big spin-on oil filter) up in front of the O/S rear wheel.

    Anything I need to be aware of before I whip the old one off and throw the new one on?
    Am I going to get covered in stinky fuel?
    Last edited by y2blade; Wednesday 3rd October 2012 at 12:20. Reason: spelling

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    p fandango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    19,782
    Thanks
    4,216
    Thanked 5,019 Times in 4,070 Posts
    yes it is, i think your meant to have less than 1/4 tank of fuel when you change it (or something along those lines)

  3. #3
    Moderator
    This user has no status
    y2blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    1,197
    Thanked 660 Times in 489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    yes it is

    i think your meant to have less than 1/4 tank of fuel when you change it (or something along those lines)
    Yes "what" is?

    Will the fuel just pour out if over 1/4 tank then?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    p fandango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    19,782
    Thanks
    4,216
    Thanked 5,019 Times in 4,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
    Yes "what" is?
    the metal canistor under the sill you describe is the fuel filter

    Will the fuel just pour out if over 1/4 tank then?
    i have no idea, not tried for obvious reasons

  5. #5
    Moderator
    This user has no status
    y2blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    1,197
    Thanked 660 Times in 489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    the metal canistor under the sill you describe is the fuel filter


    i have no idea, not tried for obvious reasons
    Thanks.

    I know it's the fuel filter, it's been sat on a shelf in the garage (in it's box) for a while

    Have you ever changed the fuel filter on a S60/V70 D5?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    p fandango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    19,782
    Thanks
    4,216
    Thanked 5,019 Times in 4,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
    I know it's the fuel filter, it's been sat on a shelf in the garage (in it's box) for a while
    sounds like my oil filter lol

    Have you ever changed the fuel filter on a S60/V70 D5?
    yeh i did my own, took longer to take out of the box than it did to change it lol. I didn't have much fuel in the tank, but once i took the filter off it didn't flow out anyway (think it must have a valve on it)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

    y2blade (Wednesday 3rd October 2012)

  8. #7
    Moderator
    This user has no status
    y2blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    1,197
    Thanked 660 Times in 489 Posts
    Excellent, I might leave it until there is less in the tank then, only filled her up last week... I didn't realize fuel level would matter. Doh!!!!!


    Cheers for the info buddy.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    p fandango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    19,782
    Thanks
    4,216
    Thanked 5,019 Times in 4,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
    Excellent, I might leave it until there is less in the tank then, only filled her up last week... I didn't realize fuel level would matter. Doh!!!!!


    Cheers for the info buddy.
    no problem sir, haven't got my heinz manual to hand but sure it said 1/4tank or less. Really is easy to do, i didn't even jack her up & the old filter unscrewed by hand so really does only take minutes

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

    y2blade (Wednesday 3rd October 2012)

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    228k and still not broke it!

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Poole, Dorset
    Posts
    23,179
    Thanks
    6,527
    Thanked 7,737 Times in 5,637 Posts
    When I did mine (petrol but the same afaik) there was a dribble from the pipe but it's an airtight system that's pumped from the top so it won't just empty all over the drive. Have a drip tray under it tho because creosote or whatever it is you guys use as fuel is a pig to get out of tarmac. The clips holding the hose on can be a pig to get off too. there's a grey square on each side of the connection that you have to squeeze - in to remove. undo the bolt holding the canister, drop the canister, remove the fuel tank end first and plug it straight into the new one. allow the old canister to drain into the drip tray and remove the other pipe. then just plug the engine - end into the new canister and bolt it back up.

    Job done
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

    310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

    2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

    y2blade (Wednesday 3rd October 2012)

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    p fandango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    19,782
    Thanks
    4,216
    Thanked 5,019 Times in 4,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    When I did mine (petrol but the same afaik) there was a dribble from the pipe but it's an airtight system that's pumped from the top so it won't just empty all over the drive. Have a drip tray under it tho because creosote or whatever it is you guys use as fuel is a pig to get out of tarmac. The clips holding the hose on can be a pig to get off too. there's a grey square on each side of the connection that you have to squeeze - in to remove. undo the bolt holding the canister, drop the canister, remove the fuel tank end first and plug it straight into the new one. allow the old canister to drain into the drip tray and remove the other pipe. then just plug the engine - end into the new canister and bolt it back up.

    Job done
    us Massey Ferguson guys use a different filter, it just screws into the housing like a normal oil filter. No pipes to undo or any of that messy business lol

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

    y2blade (Wednesday 3rd October 2012)

  15. #11
    Senior Member
    228k and still not broke it!

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Poole, Dorset
    Posts
    23,179
    Thanks
    6,527
    Thanked 7,737 Times in 5,637 Posts
    Aaah, fair enough I'll shut up then lol.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

    310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

    2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"

  16. #12
    Senior Member
    No replacement for
    displacement!
    Redbrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 269 Times in 206 Posts
    Place container underneath fuel filter - loosen screwed valve at bottom and allow to drain. Once it's empty attempt to get old one off - use an oil filter removal tool cause that sucker will be welded on.

  17. #13
    Senior Member
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    p fandango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    19,782
    Thanks
    4,216
    Thanked 5,019 Times in 4,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    Once it's empty attempt to get old one off - use an oil filter removal tool cause that sucker will be welded on.
    mine came off by hand

  18. #14
    Moderator
    This user has no status
    y2blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    1,197
    Thanked 660 Times in 489 Posts
    Well that was a piece of cake
    filter spun off, dropped about half a cup of fuel onto the cardboard I'd placed under the car (none on the garage floor)....filled the new filter with diesel and spun it on.

    fired the car up and let it run for a bit...all good

    lovely job.

    cheers chaps.
    Last edited by y2blade; Thursday 4th October 2012 at 10:28.

  19. #15
    Senior Member
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    p fandango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    19,782
    Thanks
    4,216
    Thanked 5,019 Times in 4,070 Posts
    surprisingly easy isn't it, did yours come off by hand?

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

    y2blade (Thursday 4th October 2012)

  21. #16
    Moderator
    This user has no status
    y2blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    1,197
    Thanked 660 Times in 489 Posts
    Yep very easy.
    tbh I didn't try it by hand I just used the filter socket/tool, it wasn't hard to undo though.


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ipv6 ready