Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Lowering your S60r/V70R

Hi all.
    I know many people have spoken about this before and lots of to do's, what to do's and what not to do's but seeing as (not meaning to blow my own trumpet) i have lowered and do NOT have any issues with rubbing wheel arches then i thought i share some preps.

I am currently running 18" Pegs with 235/40ZR18 Vredestein Sessanta's. Lowered on Eibach Pro kit with a 30mm drop allround.
    Also i have TPi black alloy spacers 12mm front / 15mm rear.

I will post photos in a sec but make sure that you have brand new 'Black' steering stops (available from Volvo or PFV) fitted.

Also, while your at the dealer purchase and fit these....

They protect your wheel arch liners from being ripped out should you hit a bump whilst turning and driving....and resulting in the following damage...

Here they are fitted....

Lowered my car looks like....

I can assure one and all that i do NOT suffer with rubbing or scraping wheel archs or liners.

Top tip. Make sure you purchase and fit the Volvo Alloy underbelly protector plate before lowering. Trust me, it will save your sump as i have since lowering scraped mine quite a few times, mainly on stupid middle of the road sleeping policeman and the odd edge of a pothole on rough bumpy ground. Its there to do a job and it does it very well!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 17th April 2012 at 02:59.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Monday 16th April 2012),stribo (Monday 16th April 2012),t5_monkey (Monday 16th April 2012),volvokid (Monday 16th April 2012)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    So how much roughly for the complete set up Lee??? Good write up BTW
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status

Thanks
    Looks a little pricey, but you've done a proper job.
    Like volvokid said, what's the cost break down?
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MattM For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Monday 16th April 2012)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Are the wheel arch liner jobbies universal or only for phase 2?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    think they're fitted for P2 mate, although they look nothing like the ones I have on mine, which are metal.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Hold on... Just had a look through my pics and found this...

Looks like sombody's is upside down and looking at the marks on it, it'll be mine. no wonder I thought it was different! Gonna have a word with the guys who changed my timing belt...
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Good tips there Lee, I've still got the lowering springs waiting to go on our S60R, just waiting for the wife, as she's not sure she want's it lowered now. With the wheel spacers fitted, do you need longer wheel bolts?

This user has a status
    Thanks
    Looks spot on mate whats the ride like now?
    My03 S60R, 340bhp Rica remap, Tinted windows, Stainless 2.5" cat back exhaust system, FMIC.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    So how much roughly for the complete set up Lee??? Good write up BTW
    Parts

Lower suspension arm steering limiter (black) 18mm - PFV - £5.76 each x 2
    http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=5084
    Aluminium protecting plate (Volvo only) 9451784 - £128.36
    981495 plastic nut x 2 (volvo) - £1.38
    9190823 protecting plate (Volvo) - £11.22
    9190824 protecting plate (Volvo) - £11.22
    Eibach Pro kit - £170 delivered
    TPi alloy spacers (pair) eBay - £65 x 2 (total £130)
    Front Spring support plate (HLM) - £56 each

Fitting

Elitedirect, Essex - 4 wheel alighnment - £49.95
    Elitedirect, Essex - £50 per corner (fitting)

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Are the wheel arch liner jobbies universal or only for phase 2?
    Only for P2.

Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    think they're fitted for P2 mate, although they look nothing like the ones I have on mine, which are metal.
    Yes, they are metal, painted black.

Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Good tips there Lee, I've still got the lowering springs waiting to go on our S60R, just waiting for the wife, as she's not sure she want's it lowered now. With the wheel spacers fitted, do you need longer wheel bolts?
    Yes. Order the longer bolts when you order the spacers. Bin your locking wheel nuts as 1) there agro 2) you won't need them anyway!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 17th April 2012 at 03:19.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

sizzlechest (Monday 16th April 2012),stribo (Monday 16th April 2012),volvokid (Monday 16th April 2012),Wobbly Dave (Monday 16th April 2012)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cowen View Post
    How i like it. Smooth on flat roads. Comfy on the motorway. Precise. Goes round corners on rails and remains flat. No roll, unless you push it in Comfort mode. In Sport its the best of both worlds. Comfy on motorway but you feel all the squashed flies on the tarmac. Not too bad on normal roads. Gotta go comfort on the rough stuff else its all over the place.

When i ever get into Advanced....well.....its proper Bo selector!!!!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    aye - proper bo!
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Hold on... Just had a look through my pics and found this...

Looks like sombody's is upside down and looking at the marks on it, it'll be mine. no wonder I thought it was different! Gonna have a word with the guys who changed my timing belt...
    LOL, MUPPETS!!! How the hell they manage that? It only goes on one way

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Tuesday 17th April 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Very posh Lee. I am not usually a fan of modifications but this is very subtle. In fact I can confess that I am "wel jel"! Nice one.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick0 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Tuesday 17th April 2012)

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Important

You will also need these to be fitted before you lower else when you drop your car on the floor your rear camber will be at least -2.50 degrees!! That will not look good and it will be dangerous to drive as all the rear alighnment is thrown miles out. Mine crabbed badly for 50 miles to the alighnment center.

Expensive but an absolute must. You must fit them to their maximum setting which is 1.50* degrees.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    You will also need these to be fitted before you lower else when you drop your car on the floor your rear camber will be at least -2.50 degrees!! That will not look good and it will be dangerous to drive as all the rear alighnment is thrown miles out. Mine crabbed badly for 50 miles to the alighnment center.

Expensive but an absolute must. You must fit them to their maximum setting which is 1.50* degrees.
    Need what fitting?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 21st April 2012)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Need what fitting?

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5711/...er-bushing-kit

This user has a status
    Thanks
    Will they need to be set after fitting the springs & while doing the 4 wheel alignment?
    My03 S60R, 340bhp Rica remap, Tinted windows, Stainless 2.5" cat back exhaust system, FMIC.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    On Eibachs I personally found the ride too harsh/crashy which I thought let the name down because they've been awesome springs on my mates cars.

I didn't find the original setup needed anything else and in fact I was disappointed that the Eibachs, in my opinion, completely cancelled out the comfort setting. Comfort and sport felt VERY similar and advanced was ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    How i like it. Smooth on flat roads. Comfy on the motorway. Precise. Goes round corners on rails and remains flat. No roll, unless you push it in Comfort mode. In Sport its the best of both worlds. Comfy on motorway but you feel all the squashed flies on the tarmac. Not too bad on normal roads. Gotta go comfort on the rough stuff else its all over the place.

When i ever get into Advanced....well.....its proper Bo selector!!!!
    ...but i'm glad you haven't experienced this, maybe the roads round here are just poor in comparison?

As for rubbing, I think the tyre wall can have a lot to do with it, even with the same tyre size two different tyres can be the difference between rub and no rub. The Vreds were the tyre that I was running and after I fitted new black stops it almost eliminated it completely.

Remember to recalibrate the SUM after shock removal and refit ESPECIALLY when lowering and if the VIDA/DICE kicks back an error message that the car is too low on the rear end, simply jack it up a few milimetres at a time until it accepts the parameters.

Sorry, nothing Swedish here...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds_finest For This Useful Post:

volvokid (Tuesday 24th April 2012)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Will they need to be set after fitting the springs & while doing the 4 wheel alignment?
    You need to fit these either during or immediately after but NOT before. Best to fit during as it will need a full wheel alighnment anyway.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds_finest View Post
    On Eibachs I personally found the ride too harsh/crashy which I thought let the name down because they've been awesome springs on my mates cars.

I didn't find the original setup needed anything else and in fact I was disappointed that the Eibachs, in my opinion, completely cancelled out the comfort setting. Comfort and sport felt VERY similar and advanced was ridiculous...
    ...That's because you never had the latest SUM UPDATE! If you did then the crashy harsh ride is illiminated and the shocks work as they should. I can assure you all there is a definate difference between Comfort and sport.
    I have brand new shocks on my car too, so i guess thats makes a big difference. The biggest difference i noticed after fitting new shocks is that the car didn't lul about in Comfort mode. It felt more stable and certainly had a crispness to it. The nose didn't pitch and roll either! Was even better after the SUM UPDATE and calibrate.. Superb!!! is all i can say.

Remember, if your car has done 80 - 100K and still on oe shocks then its time to replace (all of them).

Thread Information