Join Today

Thread: forged rods?

This user has no status

Thanks

forged rods?

Hello,

Seems I have a wound down 18T it's seems a bit wasted... so what sort of cost is getting the rods changed over to forged rods? Does anything else need replacing whilst I'm there? Apart from arp bolts obviously

Thanks
    Rich

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Its a complete engine strip and rebuilt, so, basically you need everything!

Not cheap, but, you can get away with a headset and the Volvo special goo for sticking the engine together.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    LINK, £370 including bolts

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Rich.

My THS rods cost me circa.£350, arp bolts included. Obviously a new set of shells would be wise. Not all engines, but mine needed the base of the bores machining to enable the rods to rotate freely. The instructions that came with the Rods did warn this was a possiblity. For a good engine engineering company, it's a common and easy job to complete.

Oh and whilst you have the head off, you may as well refurb it! £££££££££££ lol

Go for it!
    Last edited by woody; Thursday 27th September 2012 at 20:42.
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

Latest update: 10000 miles as at 19/05/13.

To do: Lots (but don't tell Mrs Woody!)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Haha I'd love to just go for it believe me.

I'll look into it where did your rods come from?? I just don't see the point in wasting this turbo by having it turned down

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Got mine off 'benG' (Ceri) on here. Give 'Niles' a poke , he may be able to help too.
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

Latest update: 10000 miles as at 19/05/13.

To do: Lots (but don't tell Mrs Woody!)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I spent over 400 on my rods and 500 on wiseco forged pistons. With new turbo mapping etc probably looking at 4 to 5k.u can make some bits cheaper. eg if u for go using a donor engine to keep the current car otr.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    if you're are gonna think about forging the engine then you may as well fit a bigger turbo than an 18t, stick a 15g on and turn it up a bit, when i put that ecu in a 15g auto motor it went very well indeed, in fact emlyn said he had never felt any map so aggressive and quick

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well what is the 18T good for then lol. As can't run it on a standard engine with decent boost as it'll bend the rods.. I enjoy the car how she is now as she certainly shifts but I'm majorly concerned over breaking something as the other night I did hear a faint knocking, I haven't heard it since but I havent used full throttle since.

So what's the best way forward I want reliable power as I certainly haven't got it at the moment as I fear everytime she goes past 4K she is going to die especially as its started to boost cut recently. which ive been told is to do with the maf and running too lean. So I don't go past 3k anymore

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy200 View Post
    Well what is the 18T good for then lol. As can't run it on a standard engine with decent boost as it'll bend the rods.. I enjoy the car how she is now as she certainly shifts but I'm majorly concerned over breaking something as the other night I did hear a faint knocking, I haven't heard it since but I havent used full throttle since.

So what's the best way forward I want reliable power as I certainly haven't got it at the moment as I fear everytime she goes past 4K she is going to die especially as its started to boost cut recently. which ive been told is to do with the maf and running too lean. So I don't go past 3k anymore
    get another map temporarily, like a hlm310 or a rica310 get it secondhand and adjust the actuator to where it is supposed to be, that map is mental thats on it and it cheesed me off i had to turn it down lol, it shouldnt be running lean, i never had ignition cut.

This user has no status

Thanks
    No it never did till I fitted a forge blanking plate and have no dump valve as it has been boosting harder now.

I'll keep an eye out for a second hand ecu then and wind the boost back to where it should be.

Cheers for the advice.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    No it never did till I fitted a forge blanking plate and have no dump valve as it has been boosting harder now.

I'll keep an eye out for a second hand ecu then and wind the boost back to where it should be.

Cheers for the advice.
    dont use a blanking plate without a dump valve mate, turbo will die alot earlier

This user has no status

Thanks
    I read about and the boost these cars make was not high enough to be negatively effected without a dump valve?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    I spent over 400 on my rods and 500 on wiseco forged pistons. With new turbo mapping etc probably looking at 4 to 5k.u can make some bits cheaper. eg if u for go using a donor engine to keep the current car otr.

4-5k?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    I read about and the boost these cars make was not high enough to be negatively effected without a dump valve?
    really? up to 20 psi is alot of boost most cars run nowhere near that amount

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiPsTa33 View Post
    4-5k?
    Total cost for the build (this is my budget)

Donor engine - 350
    Rods - 500
    Pistons - 500
    Head work & engine boar & rebuild cost - 500 estimated
    rebuild engine parts (gaskets, new bearings, shells, PCV etc) - 400 estimated
    S60R exhaust manifold - 140
    Garrett GT turbo Plus ancillaries (oil & water lines, gaskets, actuator etc) - 1200 estimated
    Custom Remapping - ???? T& M dependant

So maybe 5K is too much but there will not be much change out of 4 grand.

There maybe some savings to be had. I have had more headwork done than perhaps needed, plus there are additional costs for messing up the removal of the original headbolts; Wobbly is as wobbly does.

I can reduce the budget by sticking to mitsi based turbos e.g. clipping & reworking my 19T.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    really? up to 20 psi is alot of boost most cars run nowhere near that amount
    I know boost figures for 3 of my friends... 1 is 20psi, 1 is 22.3psi and the other is 16/17psi all the original turbo to the vehicle. I'd consider 30psi to be high.

I think 20 is just above average.

I can't get the dump valve to just dump anyway I get half chatter and half dump which is annoying.

In terms of engine build it means I could have it done for around £1400/1500 as I only see forged rods being necessary so rods, get the head cleaned up and a rebuild. Seems reasonable so something to consider for the new year.

Thread Information