Join Today
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Drivers Heated Seat not working....

Hi

I've just tested my heated seats out to make sure they are working as I suspected the drivers seat wasn't. Not suprisingly, the seat wasn't warm at all despite me sitting in it, yet my other half said that she could feel the heat coming through the passenger seat. The passenger side is definately working but the drivers side is as cold as ice.

I've done the basic common sense thing and checked the 15 amp fuse (Number 7 in the side of the dashboard), and the fuse for the drivers side heated seat is in tact, so I know it's definately not a blown fuse.

My next thought is that it's a loose connection and the plug is loose under the seat. What I'm not so sure on is whether I should start playing with plugs under the seats because I don't want to set the airbags off. I know I can disconnect the battery so maybe I should do that.

The questions I have are....

• Has anyone else had this problem?
    • Which wiring loom should I check to make sure the connections are ok?
    • Is there anything else that can cause the heated seat not to work?

I'm keen to get this problem sorted out, not only because it's annoying but also winter is coming!

Thanks for any help.

Regards

James

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    I think you need a new car mate. You seem to have no luck with it.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    I think you need a new car mate. You seem to have no luck with it.
    That's what my work colleagues say but I'm not giving up with it yet! I could have got shot of this car ages ago but I'm determined to keep this car going and get it back to how it should be.

Besides, who's gonna buy a car with so many faults? I'll get back less than I paid for it having spent a fortune on parts so far, and then have no car at the end of it. I'm better sticking with the devil I know and fix the problems as they occur, that way I'll have a fab car at the end of it. I think MRP has shown us all that this sort of guts and determination pays off and he is my inspiration!

Regards

James

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Friday 21st September 2012)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    pmsl!
    unfortunately, I would imagine, like me, it owes him far too much money entertain the idea of getting rid.
    my heated seats dont work, they don't even have the button. the seats came from a different car tho lol.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Thanks
    lol, beat me to it

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    pmsl!
    unfortunately, I would imagine, like me, it owes him far too much money entertain the idea of getting rid.
    my heated seats dont work, they don't even have the button. the seats came from a different car tho lol.
    Too right it owes me too much. I think I've spent the cars value in parts and labour so far since I've had it and there's still loads more to do on it before it's right, including getting to the bottom of the ongoing vibrations and poor handling. I'll get there and when I do the car will go one for another 250,000 miles.

Next month I'm going to give the car a service, buying most of the stuff like oil, fluids and filters off fleabay or other internet traders to save a fortune.

Thanks
    Let me know when you spent £3100+ on it lol.
    With high milers, changing the oil every 5-6000 miles keeps them nice and healthy.

back to the topic,
    if the fuse is ok, the element in the seat has probably kaput so not an easy fix I'm afraid.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Let me know when you spent £3100+ on it lol.
    With high milers, changing the oil every 5-6000 miles keeps them nice and healthy.

back to the topic,
    if the fuse is ok, the element in the seat has probably kaput so not an easy fix I'm afraid.
    That reminds me, I think mine has probably done about 17,000 since the last oil change. That's why the engine service is top priority in October, and I'm going to change the air filter for a cone performance filter to see if I can get a bit more get up and go from the 5 cylinder lump.

Oh, and as for the seat, I'll have a look at connectors tomorrow. Failing that I'll have to save up for a new seat from a scrappy.

Thanks
    Be CAREFUL with the seat connections - SRS plugs... don't wanna trigger anything like the airbag warning. that'll cost ya a fair few quid to get rid of.
    The orange plugs/cables are the ones to watch.
    Disconnect the battery for an hour or two before unplugging anyting with an orange (or green) plug

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Be CAREFUL with the seat connections - SRS plugs... don't wanna trigger anything like the airbag warning. that'll cost ya a fair few quid to get rid of.
    The orange plugs/cables are the ones to watch.
    Disconnect the battery for an hour or two before unplugging anyting with an orange (or green) plug
    Airbag warning = MOT Failure now. I'll just do some visual inspections first and then take it from there.

I read on another forum that someone had a V70 and the heated seat element burnt a hole in the seat. LMAO!

Thanks
    Yep - bum burner when they go bad.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    I had a feel under the seat today and all the connectors feel in place and plugged in, there's no loose plugs hanging down or anything obviously loose.

Verdict: Knackered Heating Element!

Regards

James

This user has no status

Thanks
    got exactly the same problem. drivers seat no working misses seat roasty toasty.

will need to investigate also as above cheers

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by argyllt5 View Post
    got exactly the same problem. drivers seat no working misses seat roasty toasty.

will need to investigate also as above cheers
    Yeah, good idea. Maybe we can compare notes as we could have exactly the same problem...

I tried taking some photos with my camera, problem is the flash doesn't work on supermacro mode so I ended up with a load of blurry photos on normal mode. One of the photos showed a silver cylinder shaped device with black writing on it, I can only assume this is the airbag depolyment unit. There was also a load of orange wires and thinking back to what MRP said, I dare touch them, a cold seat is better than a false airbag deployment, any day of the week!

Regards

James

Thread Information