Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Irritating rattle.

Hello,

There is a persistant irritating rattle in my V70 and it comes from the back left hand area and is particularly obvious when I am travelling on country roads which are less smooth, on the motorway, it is not such a problem.

Having checked all of the plastic fittings around the tailgate area, to find that they are all very firm, I have checked the tailgate, it is not loose, open or closed, I have checked under the floor in the storage compartments and where the spare is located, nothing it seems would seem to be contributing to this irritating rattle.

The one thing that I have not checked is the rear wiper motor and assembly, which sits in the void behind the rear carpet in the tailgate.

This is not the first time I have come across this problem, I have had two 850 estates in the past and both exhibited the same problem. Then I was prepared to accept it, now I am not.

Any help or sensible suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    had a rattle in the back of mine, turned out to be the flaps which cover the pull out cargo net....springs had gone and they were slapping around making very annoying noises....taped up and it worked..

good luck.
    "Just for once, let me look at your Volvo with my own eyes."

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It pays to look!! I have only just got the car and had not noticed that I have that cargo net option, so I have drawn them out to see if that stops the noise; I'll let you know, thank again.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKJamesV70 View Post
    Hello,

There is a persistant irritating rattle in my V70 and it comes from the back left hand area and is particularly obvious when I am travelling on country roads which are less smooth, on the motorway, it is not such a problem.

Having checked all of the plastic fittings around the tailgate area, to find that they are all very firm, I have checked the tailgate, it is not loose, open or closed, I have checked under the floor in the storage compartments and where the spare is located, nothing it seems would seem to be contributing to this irritating rattle.

The one thing that I have not checked is the rear wiper motor and assembly, which sits in the void behind the rear carpet in the tailgate.

This is not the first time I have come across this problem, I have had two 850 estates in the past and both exhibited the same problem. Then I was prepared to accept it, now I am not.

Thanks,

James.
    Hi James, it's James here!

I've got a 2001 P2 V70 and I get rattles too. I've got some coming from the front which I initially thought was down to worn bushings, but having replaced half of the front suspension including all the bushings, the 'rattle' persists on those bumpy or uneven roads. I guess that's some loose trim or something. Anyway.....

The back end doesn't rattle much but one piece of advice is to check the heatshield for the exhaust, because my heatshield at the back is loose and makes contact with the exhaust. That could also be the cause of your rattle so I'd get a garage to check it out if you are unable to.

Hope that helps....

Regards

James

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hello,

Thanks,

James.
    Name:  Update Bulletin.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  113.0 KB

This is probably what causes the noise.

I had the same thing and it rectified it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Thursday 20th September 2012)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Name:  Update Bulletin.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  113.0 KB

This is probably what causes the noise.

I had the same thing and it rectified it.
    Oh yes, I had this problem as well, although it manifested itself as a squeaking sound rather than a rattle....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Great advice James and I will get her up on the ramps at the weekend and check out the heatshield, you may well be right, certainly worth a look.

Thanks again,

James.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to UKJamesV70 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Thursday 20th September 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks again, I will follow both of your advice, thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

James.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Great advice James and I will get her up on the ramps at the weekend and check out the heatshield, you may well be right, certainly worth a look.

Thanks again,

James.
    No problem, please let us know what you find...

Regards

James

This user has no status
    Thanks
    OK, crept under the rear end and checked the heatshield, that is all good, so nothing to worry about there. Vader suggested that it could be the cvargo nets that retract into the back of the rear seats and this now seems most likely, so I have added some small felt pads under the cargo net flaps to see if this cures the noise. I have also cheched the tailgate striking plate and that is also good, there is absolutely no movment in the tailgate at all. The other thing I will do is wrap a small piece of tape around the little securing bars that the back seats lock onto, this may also be adding to the rattle.

this member hass no status
    Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    OK, crept under the rear end and checked the heatshield, that is all good, so nothing to worry about there. Vader suggested that it could be the cvargo nets that retract into the back of the rear seats and this now seems most likely, so I have added some small felt pads under the cargo net flaps to see if this cures the noise. I have also cheched the tailgate striking plate and that is also good, there is absolutely no movment in the tailgate at all. The other thing I will do is wrap a small piece of tape around the little securing bars that the back seats lock onto, this may also be adding to the rattle.
    I did exactly the same as yourself with pieces of rubber tubing around the bars but still a rattle, i had no movement either but still decided to do the dodge as i could not lose anything by doing it and it did solve it, so give it a go!

This user has no status

Thanks
    i have a rattle also on my v70 and have found that it was my rear caliper, the inside piston has seized causing the the pad to rattle.

not sure if same on yours but thought it may help.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Could it be the Rear Suspension Top Mounts or the brake pads that are
    rattling??

Thread Information