Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Front differential broken?

Good afternoon,

I am new to this forum and registered today.

I got a Volvo V70 CX AWD a couple of weeks ago and it was driving brilliantly up till last week.

I was making a ticking noise last weekend on the way back home and had a look under the car.
    At first I thought it was one of the brake discs but with the front wheels of the ground i found out it was coming from the drive shaft area.
    I had a look underneath the car and could see some fluid dripping . It is coming from the front differential . I could see it coming from where the shaft goes to the rear of the car.
    I've sent an email to Autofix in Newcastle asking if he has time to have a look at this but i am wondering does anybody know what this is going to cost?

Is it a job i could do myself or are these very difficult to remove from the car without a bridge?

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Good afternoon,

I am new to this forum and registered today.

I got a Volvo V70 CX AWD a couple of weeks ago and it was driving brilliantly up till last week.

I was making a ticking noise last weekend on the way back home and had a look under the car.
    At first I thought it was one of the brake discs but with the front wheels of the ground i found out it was coming from the drive shaft area.
    I had a look underneath the car and could see some fluid dripping . It is coming from the front differential . I could see it coming from where the shaft goes to the rear of the car.
    I've sent an email to Autofix in Newcastle asking if he has time to have a look at this but i am wondering does anybody know what this is going to cost?

Is it a job i could do myself or are these very difficult to remove from the car without a bridge?
    Hi Derek

The Driveshafts are hard to replace without a ramp and special tools. I'm not too mechanically minded when it coes to the workings of diffs and driveshafts but it's a job I'd leave to a garage. I can tell you that a Driveshat is around £170 - £180 plus labour to fit and as for a new Diff, I dread to think.

I'd set aside a few hundred pounds for this just to be on the safe side!

Finally, welcome to the Forum!

Regards

James

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

Derek (Sunday 23rd September 2012)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    A ticking noise is normally due to a worn CV joint, and could be unrelated to the oil leak from the rear oil seal.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The oil that is leaking is no engine oil but more like a sort of gearbox oil?
    It isn't black and doesn't smell like normal oil.
    When i turn the wheels by hand you can hear this ticking noise coming from the direction of the front differential.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Yeah, the rear oil seal I was referring to was the gearbox rear oil seal, or propshaft seal. If you can hear ticking coming from the diff, then that's probably the culprit, and you may be better off trying to source a secondhand box. Unfortunately these cars are fairly rare, so it might be hard to find one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    As has been said, could be any number of things.

The output shaft from the gearbox has a connecting sleeve which wears and causes a grinding noise, this in turn could wear the gearbox output shaft or the angle gear (differential) shaft. It could also be the differential gear has broken (perhaps due to the oil leak).

Replacing the angle gear is an expensive job, not only in sourcing the part but also in labour as it is a difficult task. It can be done DIY, I have replaced a couple with the car just on axle stands (not a nice experience though) a second hand angle gear can cost anything but I've seen prices around £200-300, and gearboxes a similar price. Other than that a new connecting sleeve is around £90 and there is a seal kit available for the angle gear.

Best thing to do is get it looked at to determine the exact problem, but be prepared for a hefty price.

Otherwise you can remove the driveshaft and run the car in 2WD mode, lots of people have done this and had no problems.

Hope this helps
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    The car is at the garage at the moment and had call today from the garage that he problem is with the CV joint.
    If all goes well the we can collect the car tomorrow afternoon again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Tuesday 25th September 2012)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Not too bad then, the CV joint is a lot cheaper and easier to do than the diff or gearbox.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    It is indeed. The propshaft will be repaired tomorrow and hopefully can collect it tomorrow and otherwise Friday.
    Can wait to drive that car again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Wednesday 26th September 2012)

Thread Information