Join Today
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

My volvo s60 T5 ex police and 1970 volvo amazon

Hi new to the site but not new to volvo's, here is a post from the volvo owners club forum about my volvo amazon.

In June 2004 My Dad and I found a Volvo 133 abandoned on an allotment. The owner had owned a few of these cars over a period of time, each one ending up on this allotment for spare parts. The owner suggested if we could restore the car, then we were welcome to take it and any parts from the other cars free of charge.

I was 12 at the time and was keen to learn to weld and gain further skills in car maintenance.

The rear wheel arches, quarter panels, boot floor, front inner wings, were all in a sorry state. The view from the front seats was on to the front tyres and callipers. Showing only 54,000 miles, the inside of the rocker cover and valve gear led us to believe the mileage to be genuine.

Once safely home, the brakes were unseized to allow the car to be pushed in and out of the garage. The petrol tank was removed, along with the entire interior to help prevent the chance of fire while welding. All rusty areas were cut back to solid metal, being either replaced with new panels if required and available, or repair sections fabricated from sheet steel. Both rear inner and outer arches and quarter panels were available new. The front inner wings and box sections were replaced with our own fabricated sheet steel. Both of the bolt on front wings needed just a good tidy up.

We have put extras on the car such as hazard warning lights and a rear heated window, 2" simonz exhaust 4 branch manifold, calibra leather front seats. We have also put the correct later type grills on.

We have found out that this volvo was featured in practical classics in 1994 on an artical tunning the volvo amazon.

The only work not carried out by dad and I was the rechroming and spraying.

Here are some photos before and after.

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  653.4 KB

Name:  009.jpg
Size:  612.6 KB

Name:  010.jpg
Size:  787.8 KB

Name:  005.JPG
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  006.JPG
Size:  40.7 KB

The volvo s60 T5

Name:  IMG_0845.jpg
Size:  189.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0846.jpg
Size:  169.7 KB

Came over and spoke to a few people from the site today at TRAX, everyone was friendly and i felt really welcome.
    Big thank you to the man that read a fault that came up on the way there much appreciated (Off to Volvo tomorrow to get it sorted).
    Time to get ordering a few goodies i think after looking at the other s60's gave me a lot of ideas.

Ash
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AshT5; Sunday 2nd September 2012 at 18:17.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AshT5 For This Useful Post:

Santa (Sunday 2nd September 2012)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Welcome sir, Yet another ex-plod , there's an ex-plod register I started, feel free to add to it
    Ex-Plod-Register!
    Nice work on the amazon there mate.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Ex Plod S60 T5
    Thanks
    Welcome ... yeah !! Another ex plod !!!

Owner of a SupeRioR
    Thanks
    Hi Ash,

It was good to meet you yesterday and thanks for letting us have a look at your T5. It was LeeT5 that read your fault codes. Look forward to seeing your progress with the Ex-Plod and let us know how you got on with the fault.
    Doing my bit for the environment by driving a 'Green' car!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Loving the old motor. Is a cracking story. Yous have done a cracking job. Its a credit to you and your dad

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey R View Post
    Hi Ash,

It was good to meet you yesterday and thanks for letting us have a look at your T5. It was LeeT5 that read your fault codes. Look forward to seeing your progress with the Ex-Plod and let us know how you got on with the fault.
    Ex-plod with a fault....
    right in my area of expertise...do tell.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Owner of a SupeRioR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Ex-plod with a fault....
    right in my area of expertise...do tell.
    I did tell him you were the main man when it comes to Ex-Plods. He's a nice chap Martin and his car is very nice too.
    Doing my bit for the environment by driving a 'Green' car!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    There were several codes, none serious. Cleared them down and rechecked. ALL fault codes are clear but the car still says 'Engine Service Required' in the DIM and EML is 'ON'. I checked engine oil and that was ok. That's all i can tell you.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thanks
    Lee, did you use a universal code reader?
    Just wondering if might be something a generic code reader might not pick up.
    Blocked fuel filter or injector(s) or dodgy ptc nipple.
    Does the car run ok?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Lee, did you use a universal code reader?
    Just wondering if might be something a generic code reader might not pick up.
    Blocked fuel filter or injector(s) or dodgy ptc nipple.
    Does the car run ok?
    No mate, it was a BSR code reader that uses Volvo language and codes and reads ALL ecu's. Thats how i know none were serious.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    No mate, it was a BSR code reader that uses Volvo language and codes and reads ALL ecu's. Thats how i know none were serious.
    Cool. and it's 2005 which rules - out D.I.M. failure...
    Interesting...
    (not taking the P1$€) it was definately the engine service not the regular sevice message?
    It might be worth taking it for a drive with the torque app running a full spectrum of gauges, maybe show something out of the ordinary...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Cool. and it's 2005 which rules - out D.I.M. failure...
    Interesting...
    (not taking the P1$€) it was definately the engine service not the regular sevice message?
    It might be worth taking it for a drive with the torque app running a full spectrum of gauges, maybe show something out of the ordinary...
    Deffo engine service required. Can ran smooth.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Wednesday 5th September 2012)

Thanks
    Hmmm, I've read of a leaking/poorly tightened fuel cap causing a similar problem but usually throws a code (in the older engines)
    Nice easy fix if that's the problem.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey R View Post
    Hi Ash,

Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    There were several codes, none serious. Cleared them down and rechecked. ALL fault codes are clear but the car still says 'Engine Service Required' in the DIM and EML is 'ON'. I checked engine oil and that was ok. That's all i can tell you.
    Thanks guys the help was really appreciated, plugged the Volvo on at my mates garage (he works at Volvo) i need a new MAF sensor so going to ring Andrew page for a genuine part. It's a strange fault though as it's only come up with it once since Sunday and ive used it a lot since. I removed the plug from MAF and it was nice and corroded green cleaned all connections and gave it some wax oil to stop it doing it again.

Looking at the s60 poly bushes but can only find a full kit for the s60R AWD?

Thanks
    Those green conections could have been your problem. Strange how Lee's reader didn't pick it up ad the maf though.
    As for Powerflex bushes, you'll be able to get wishbones, engine mounts and strut bar tensioner as a kit. I don't believe they do any more for the P2 stuff.
    Other companies however do iirc but I can't remember which.
    This may help you a bit... Linky

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Those green conections could have been your problem. Strange how Lee's reader didn't pick it up ad the maf though.
    I agree with you Martin. If there was a fault with the MAF then my BSR code reader would have picked it up. I would say that the fault was the connections to the MAF and not the MAF itself!

Spray loads of electrical cleaner into the plug and the MAF socket and gently scratch the pins clean of corrosion then refit. Carry out a battery reset to clear the warning on the DIM and see how she goes. Otherwise a new MAF is £200.

Interestingly, why is there corrosion in that plug socket? It should have an orange 'O' ring that makes the plug water tight. Make sure its not crimped or damaged or missing!!

Thanks
    Being ex-plod, there's a chance it went around for a while without a bloody maf connected lol.
    Mine gets a bit of white powdery stuff on the connections sometimes, signifying the start of corrosion but it's dealt - with by way of cleaner and steel wool.

As Lee said, try it with a clean connection on the original maf before you throw good money at it mate.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    It's all clean and wax oiled so wont corrode again, the scanner says maf though but ive cleaned connections and its been fine can get a genuine bosh one for £130.

As for the poly bush there is a front end kit for about £144

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-...item3a6494a48f

Would yo recommend putting that on it?
    Also looking at 19" alloys and tinted windows
    Ash

This user has no status

Thanks
    Also looking at wind deflectors i can only find them in 2 piece sets is there not a 4 piece set available?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Passanger side rear window isnt working any ideas before i start taking door apart?
    Ash

Thread Information