Join Today
    SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts

Braking issue with my R, and I'm 160 miles from Home.

The R seems to have vague braking, and I think she's pulling to the left when applying the brakes. When stationery, the pedal firms up after a couple of presses, but then gives with a notchy feel.

Fluid level and pads all look OK, but something isn't right, and I'm 160 miles from Home, so really need to carry on driving, if I can.

What do you think could be wrong please?

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foammanmark View Post
    The R seems to have vague braking, and I think she's pulling to the left when applying the brakes. When stationery, the pedal firms up after a couple of presses, but then gives with a notchy feel.

Fluid level and pads all look OK, but something isn't right, and I'm 160 miles from Home, so really need to carry on driving, if I can.

What do you think could be wrong please?
    Sit in the slow lane with the truck's we never use our brakes , you will be home in 3hrs and look at it in the morning

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Vac pipe ok?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    i think the only thing vague is your description lol, you "think its pulling to the left?" lol

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    i think the only thing vague is your description lol, you "think its pulling to the left?" lol
    OK, she's definitely pulling to the left, but only under braking. A lot more travel on the pedal before I feel any braking as well. Remember I had a nightmare getting her through the mot due uneven braking at the front. New brake hose and metal pipe got her through.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    If you're unsure then pull over and call the AA or RAC.....better safe then sorry.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Tuesday 25th June 2013)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    Sit in the slow lane with the truck's we never use our brakes , you will be home in 3hrs and look at it in the morning
    That's exacty what I've done for most of today tbh. Great for the mpg. I nipped by GRN as well but it was getting late, so I didn't want to trouble them with ths.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Sounds like a Binding/siezed Caliper, Either that or the Brake hose to the Caliper has collapsed inside, and not letting the fluid return.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Tuesday 25th June 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    When your braking are any of your wheels getting hot? As merc85 said if they are binding or sticking on they may boil the fluid in the caliper & would cause the fluid to lose its density through air being out in the fluid. If one wheel is getting hot or a couple I'd say they were your culprits.
    The joys of Volvo ownership! Lol
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    When your braking are any of your wheels getting hot? As merc85 said if they are binding or sticking on they may boil the fluid in the caliper & would cause the fluid to lose its density through air being out in the fluid. If one wheel is getting hot or a couple I'd say they were your culprits.
    The joys of Volvo ownership! Lol
    The wheels are showing no abnormal heat at all, but I've had the car checked today, and the fault is inconclusive. I'm starting with a new nearside front brake hose, as the offside was replaced in Feb'13, and they advised me that I should have the nearside done soon as well.

One guy at a Volvo place suspected the master cylinder today, but it's a case of elimination now. The abs and tracs lights came on once, but haven't been on since. Keep you posted.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to foammanmark For This Useful Post:

Biff (Wednesday 26th June 2013)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    So I'm Home after over 500 miles with the braking issue, which is a relief tbh. Not moving her now until Tuesday morning when she goes into my local garage who sorted the MOT braking issue. Fingers crossed it's just the brakehose.............

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    From what you've described I think it could only be the master cylinder, there's nothing else that would make or let you feel a 'grinding' sensation. Also if that's failed then that would probably give you then uneven pressures to the brakes that you where having.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    i dont think its the master cylinder. id change the hoses and get some new calipers. possible upgrade them for sumit bigger
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    i dont think its the master cylinder. id change the hoses and get some new calipers. possible upgrade them for sumit bigger
    I think that after the offside brake hose issue earlier in the year, that the nearside hose will be the starting point tomorrow when she goes in. Would it just be coincidence for them to both go within 3-4 months of each other though? I presume the garage will test for uneven brake force to begin with, but I'll post up tomorrow hopefully after she's sorted.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    The car has been in, and the brake testing machine gave the offside front as the issue. New caliper and brake hose, and it's better, but may not quite be perfectly right still. Tomorrow's journey will tell me one way or other whether or not the issue is sorted.

Now to get through the MOT in Feb, I had to have a fresh caliper(good used one) and hose, exactly as I've had done again today, on the same side. If this hasn't sorted it then I think I have a costly repair bill coming, with possibly the master cylinder being the issue.

Thread Information