Join Today
    Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts

Safe boost level on an s/v40 2.0t

Mates got a v40 2.0t and wanted to make his car faster for not much money, as he can't currently afford a proper remap he's got an mbc (we'd already fitted my old one to see if it brought up any fault codes).

Everythings fine and he's currently running at 14psi, just wondering if this is ok, i don't want him to wreck his engine.

BTW, its totally transformed his car. I'v been in a few 2.0ts and nice as they are, they lack a bit in the power stakes. Not any more, it goes really well now and almost feels as quick as a T4. Its made a huge difference and needless to say he's loving it now lol
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Mates got a v40 2.0t and wanted to make his car faster for not much money, as he can't currently afford a proper remap he's got an mbc (we'd already fitted my old one to see if it brought up any fault codes).

Everythings fine and he's currently running at 14psi, just wondering if this is ok, i don't want him to wreck his engine.

BTW, its totally transformed his car. I'v been in a few 2.0ts and nice as they are, they lack a bit in the power stakes. Not any more, it goes really well now and almost feels as quick as a T4. Its made a huge difference and needless to say he's loving it now lol
    12psi is the highest safest boost figure on this LPT T2/T3 coded engine.

With 12psi and a catback the max. is about 197bhp just short of the T4 200bhp.

The engine internals are not as strong as the other T5 coded 2litres which give 200bhp

You will get the same problems if driven hard HG failure and split liners due to the bore being 83mm instead of the 81.5mm on the reliable and powerfull 1855 T4.

It is of course up to you what to run at the end of the day. On this engine i an surprised the ECU has not cut back the boost to the standard 8.7psi perhaps it`s on the verge of it?

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    No idea when the boost cut is, not my car, but its not at 14psi or even 16 because he's had it at that level, dropped it because that was maybe a bit too high lol
    I know the engine aint as strong as the 1855 engine in the phase 1 t4 thats why i'm asking for peoples experience, he's said he's read a post over on voc (i think) where someone has been running a constant 14psi with no issues.

Such a shame the engines are pretty weak, my brothers s14 runs 8psi as standard and that can double the boost with no problems for the engine.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sorry, i forgot to mention as the compression on the LPT motors are 9 to 1 the recommended fuel ron is 95 but if the boost is turned up really 98ron needs to be used to avoid any combustion problems which can be detrimental!

Thread Information