Join Today
    "i'm not a half wit, im a
    genuine half wit"
    Thanks

Do you think i need a new one?

Hi guys, i think the turbo on the beastie may have reached its best by date.
    1/ took the intake pipe off from the air box to do another job and found oil in the bottom of the turbo next to the blades.

2, if the is stood running for any length of time blip the gas and smoke is visable from the back end.

3, is using more oil than it should but no water and there is no mayo in oil filler or oil in the water.

So what do we think chaps??? if it likley to be this which is the most cost effective way to sort replace or referb?

Thanks in advance guys.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Usually oil in the turbo inlet means the PCV system (engine breather system) is blocked/partially blocked and is sending oil through (the pcv joins just before the turbo inlet). There can be a lot of oil in the whole intake system after the turbo too.

Mine was pretty bad, after replacing the PCV system it was better, but it was totally cured after I did the valve stem seals (which was causing excessive crankcase pressure). Mine had done around 140,000 miles.

Of course the turbo could also be using oil.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information