Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quick update, as above i fitted the RICA 304, piped up the stock solenoid and filled up with 99 octane.....all seems okay

its pulling like a bloody train!!, boost hits around 18psi and drops to around 15-16 through the mid range, and falling to around 14psi @ 6000rpm in third which im happy with, its managing to spin the wheels in 2nd gear in the dry too which its never done! so im chuffed to bits.

Next step is to get the car back to Noble's for them to do a power run and see that the fueling is all healthy etc then ill be fully happy

thanks for all the input everyone! much appreciated

Jason
    1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD

Rica 304 remap, 2.5" decat turbo back, panal filter, 15G/16T Hybrid, 5 angry cylinders!!

Other car - 170bhp Turbo'd 1250cc Fiat Cinquecento!!, 610kgs - 13.64 1/4 @ 104mph.... accelerates like the Saturn 5 rocket!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    Fit the RICA 304, run it on 97/99 RON and throw the MBC in the bin.
    I agree completely I have no issues this way with mine.
    Hlm304 2.5"obx cat back koni fsd's powerflex top mount k&n panel filter v70 rear lights strut brace no fuel and a heavy right boot!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mick850R View Post
    I agree completely I have no issues this way with mine.

Cant agree more myself now its all sorted it sure did the trick.

Jason
    1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD

Rica 304 remap, 2.5" decat turbo back, panal filter, 15G/16T Hybrid, 5 angry cylinders!!

Other car - 170bhp Turbo'd 1250cc Fiat Cinquecento!!, 610kgs - 13.64 1/4 @ 104mph.... accelerates like the Saturn 5 rocket!!

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850T5 Jason View Post
    Quick update, as above i fitted the RICA 304, piped up the stock solenoid and filled up with 99 octane.....all seems okay

its pulling like a bloody train!!, boost hits around 18psi and drops to around 15-16 through the mid range, and falling to around 14psi @ 6000rpm in third which im happy with, its managing to spin the wheels in 2nd gear in the dry too which its never done! so im chuffed to bits.

Next step is to get the car back to Noble's for them to do a power run and see that the fueling is all healthy etc then ill be fully happy

thanks for all the input everyone! much appreciated

Jason
    I assume with that sort of boost at lowish revs that this is not a new BCS?

Watch your rods (from experience)... BCS's are a lot of money but cheap compared to a rebuild or replacement engine.

This user has no status

Thanks
    No its not a new one mate, do you recommend a stock replacement or aftermarket? Is the initial boost a common sign of a worn out solenoid?

Many thanks

Jason
    1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    Go for the factory stock BCS, aftermarket units are not as good. I don't see any pics/videos correlating the boost level and RPM. Maybe on the dyno you can see something since they tap off the RPM from the HT leads. When is the 18 psi coming in ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
    Go for the factory stock BCS, aftermarket units are not as good. I don't see any pics/videos correlating the boost level and RPM. Maybe on the dyno you can see something since they tap off the RPM from the HT leads. When is the 18 psi coming in ?
    I do need to get it to a rolling road to get it checked over so ill find out for sure then but i today received a brand new psi boost gauge to check its results against my older gauge, the reason i decided to do this was the old gauge suggested the car was pulling 25inHg vacume at idle which seems a little high.... expected 19-20 so i thought my gauge may be duff..

on fitting the new gauge im getting what id class as normal boost readings, its reading 16-16.5 psi spike and holding around 15psi so i would say thats about bang on what it should be for a remap ???? and con rod safe ??? also its making the peak 16ish psi around 3-3200rpm.

either way it will be going on the rollers very soon so i can have piece of mind that the fueling and boost is okay etc

thanks

Jason
    1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Not sure if this helps for comparison - 2 videos of the boost rising against RPM - one from 55mph in fifth gear (2200 rpm up)
    the other using third gear (3500rpm-5500rpm)

Shows the standard quage (approx 1 bar is the white band) its a RICA 280 with a standard 15G turbo

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    and the second video
    Last edited by woz; Wednesday 5th September 2012 at 00:03. Reason: add video lion

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    @Jason : Your boost levels are safe just dont add an MBC
    @ Woz : Healthy engine you got there.

Thread Information