Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

P0121 and a bang

replaced ETM with a BBA remain one, replaced all coil packs, spark plugs, accelerator pedal and MAF, all gen parts used and new.

Symptoms are:

erratic idle 500-1200rpm, stuttering on pick up, previously boosted to 9psi without boost cut now will only boost to 4psi and get boost cut, very loud dump of the boost when it cuts and finally intermittent misfire. Only code stored is still P0121.

All vac pipes replaced and all boost pipes checked and seem to be ok

Anyone got any ideas?
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Al point's back to the ETM, is the replacement ok?

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    Al point's back to the ETM, is the replacement ok?
    it tests all ok and this one is contactless so in theory there is nothing to go wrong now. When it banged it was a massive backfire from a faulty MAF gen bosch, thats why so many parts have been replaced. Dot get me wrong it runs a lot better than yesterday but its still not right and thats the only code im getting
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap

I might act crazy but i don't
    smoke crack

Thanks
    I had similar issues with my me7 c70 turned out 3 coil packs were knackered and in turn it blocked the cat. it always started fine and run until warm then would just cut out and wouldn't restart until it had cooled. only code that ever came up was for 'random or intermittent misfire'
    Currently driving a BMW 318 because it was cheap

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave86 View Post
    I had similar issues with my me7 c70 turned out 3 coil packs were knackered and in turn it blocked the cat. it always started fine and run until warm then would just cut out and wouldn't restart until it had cooled. only code that ever came up was for 'random or intermittent misfire'
    all coil packs replaced today and mine is fitted with a race cat, i dont get any cutting out either thanks anyway

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Have a look at your Intercooler, I've experienced a turbo pipe blowing off an intercooler on a Skoda VRS before now and it was because the Intercooler cracked and it caused a massive backfire as you described.

Let me know what you find.

Regards

James

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

deathrider311271 (Saturday 11th August 2012)

the true nut job
    Thanks
    what about the bcs....
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL V70R View Post
    what about the bcs....
    could that cause bad running?? sat here thinking about it logically and the path a backfire would take, is it possible it could have damaged the turbo?

the true nut job
    Thanks
    mine went but was po 243...bad runing and a low type of backfire sounds as if its from the turbo...b4 u bye one i have a spare u could try mate..
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    My money is on the Intercooler.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    update time again

had intercooler off and it appears to be fine now at this point im not saying its good but does look fairly new, had all intercooler pipework off no splits or holes, all vac pipes off no splits or holes. Also changed both lambdas and bcs.
    im thinking i have 2 issues here, 1 being a boost problem, 2 some sort of ignition/ecu problem

thoughts please guys

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Ok, maybe something inside the intercooler or the turbo has said bye bye.....

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I'm guessing you've checked the turbo in some way (taken the intake pipe off and felt the blades, taken a photo to inspect further)?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Ok, maybe something inside the intercooler or the turbo has said bye bye.....
    poked finger into turbo and all seems fine there also no broken splines or movement, im not convinced its not the intercooler

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Have you pressure tested the intake system? I did a quick test by undoing the top of the maf to turbo pipe, sealing it around my face and blowing into it, very crude way of doing it and doesn't taste very nice, but could highlight a problem. Make sure the throttle flap is wedged open so you can test the manifold too. Alternatively you could hook up an airline to it somehow or have it smoke tested at a garage.

Have you cleared the code and did it come straight back up?

Thinking about it a bit more, mine had a problem which had the same symptoms, misfire, rough idle. Turned out the spark was shorting to somewhere in the distributor cap. Obviously yours is the coil packs so no dizzy, but it could be something to do with the ignition. How about the wiring to the coilpacks? There was something on here not long ago about the wiring chafing in the block?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    Have you pressure tested the intake system? I did a quick test by undoing the top of the maf to turbo pipe, sealing it around my face and blowing into it, very crude way of doing it and doesn't taste very nice, but could highlight a problem. Make sure the throttle flap is wedged open so you can test the manifold too. Alternatively you could hook up an airline to it somehow or have it smoke tested at a garage.

Have you cleared the code and did it come straight back up?

Thinking about it a bit more, mine had a problem which had the same symptoms, misfire, rough idle. Turned out the spark was shorting to somewhere in the distributor cap. Obviously yours is the coil packs so no dizzy, but it could be something to do with the ignition. How about the wiring to the coilpacks? There was something on here not long ago about the wiring chafing in the block?
    Oh yes, coil pack wiring, one of my least favourite subjects given I ended up accidentally slicing through the insulation to cylinder 4 coil pack wiring when I was messing about with it the first time a few months ago.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    another update:

still got this problem, replaced the ETM with a BBA Remain one, the only code i get is for accelerator pedal, so replaced this with a new one today, yes its slightly better so was probably on the way out. However im still getting the same code telling there is still a faulty signal to the ETM this is on a generic code reader, Vida Dice tells me faulty accelerator pedal even tho new as is the ETM, still hesitant and little to no booste and constantly drops down to 3/4 cylinders but never goes into limp mode.

So where the hell do i go from here???

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Have you looked at the ecu loom/plug water in loom or plug or green corroded pins ,is there a loom plug onto the engine or is it straight to ecu?,is the engine earthing strap ok battery cables tight what is the battery voltage with engine running.
    Your problems do sound like a bad joint/earth as you have changed so much so far and not getting to the bottom of the problem.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Have you looked at the ecu loom/plug water in loom or plug or green corroded pins ,is there a loom plug onto the engine or is it straight to ecu?,is the engine earthing strap ok battery cables tight what is the battery voltage with engine running.
    Your problems do sound like a bad joint/earth as you have changed so much so far and not getting to the bottom of the problem.
    had the ecu out a few weeks ago and all looked fine, what do u mean by loom plug onto the engine? As far as im aware the only plugs to the engine are the ones for the sensors and ignition side of things.All battery conections are tight and getting over 14v when engine running.
    All the replaced new parts have been tested on my mates S60 and they all work fine on his car with no codes. So as you say i think its an electrical problem which im crap at lol

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Just thinking outside the box does you car have traction control,could it be cutting in ?.
    Can it be turned off on the dash.

Thread Information